FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:06:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: EK wiper motor problem?  (Read 20524 times)
NO NAME

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« on: February 26, 2013, 01:33:51 AM »

I have a presslite 1 speed wiper motor, just pulled all the wipers apart due to a problem were the wipers wouldnt turn off and then, the wipers wouldnt work at all.
 i thought at first it was the switch but the switch tested ok, i think its a little sloppy after some rough treatment when the damn wipers wouldnt stop but it seems ok, i then tested the wiper motor wich in the end wouldnt work in the car, it tested ok but then when i went to put it together i noticed that when it is conncted without a earth to "SW" on the wiper motor when the motor should park and stop it seems to just keep running with little pauses, (pulsing) so i cleaned the contacts and couldnt find anything in there out of the ordinary, is this just normal when there is no load or is there something wrong?

Rick 123

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 07:09:15 AM »

Is this the wiper motor you got from me years ago in Windsor
NO NAME

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 07:54:27 AM »

Is this the wiper motor you got from me years ago in Windsor

did you have a 5.0L V8 FC?

NO NAME

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 06:19:57 PM »

ok, has anyone tested a single speed presslite out of a car, with "SW" disonnected but the self park earth connected who might know if they will stop and stay stopped without a load or if they just keep going.?

KFH
qld-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 06:34:30 PM »

Yes it will stop in the park position without a load.

Keith

I was born with nothing and still have most of it left
NO NAME

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 06:49:48 PM »

ok i'll go and pull it apart again.

FCRB26
Guru

Model: FE and FC

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 07:05:23 PM »

Leon i have a few spare if you wanna borrow one ?

The FC ute i bought has a modified EH one in it and theres a spare if you want it?

NO NAME

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 08:12:54 PM »

think im going to have to come around one of these saturdays soon Pete.

mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 08:52:49 PM »

I have seen this happen if you use a HR switch instead of an EK one. When my 2 speed wiper conversions were done by using an EH motor, I thought that an HR switch would work fine. It didn't. An EK, EJ or EH switch seemed to be OK. Not sure if wear on the contact fingers or wear on the plate will contribute to the problem.

Ken
NO NAME

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2013, 10:29:53 PM »

I have seen this happen if you use a HR switch instead of an EK one. When my 2 speed wiper conversions were done by using an EH motor, I thought that an HR switch would work fine. It didn't. An EK, EJ or EH switch seemed to be OK. Not sure if wear on the contact fingers or wear on the plate will contribute to the problem.

Ken
i assume this is a EH switch, it has power at one pin when the button is pressed, it has power at another pin when position 2 is selected and power through two pins when the 3rd position is selected, not sure if thats how the switch should work but thats how it tested with the test light connected to batt(+) and the body of the switch to batt (-) while probing the pins with the test light. however i didnt test the wiper motor with the switch, i did it batt(-) to the wiper motor body and strap batt(-) to the "SW" pin, batt(+) to the batt pin, it runs constant with "SW" connected and with "SW" disconnected it pulses or runs continuoisly with short consistant pauses.

Rick 123

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2013, 07:27:18 AM »

did you have a 5.0L V8 FC?

Yes thats me
NO NAME

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2013, 05:56:09 PM »

Yes thats me
do you still have the FC, i think last time i saw you, you had a HR ute and the v8 FC was going up for sale.

mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2013, 07:16:46 PM »

If it has 4 pins it is a HR switch, you need a switch with 3 pins.
Ken
NO NAME

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2013, 08:58:05 PM »

If it has 4 pins it is a HR switch, you need a switch with 3 pins.
Ken
yeah its 3 pins, washer, speed 1 & 2

Rick 123

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2013, 07:47:13 AM »

do you still have the FC, i think last time i saw you, you had a HR ute and the v8 FC was going up for sale.
[/quote
Yep thats right i sold the FC and The HR ute, I now Have my Grand fathers one owner XT Falcon Ute,and HR Station wagon 5lt efi 5 speed
When you get a chance i wouldnt mind you dropping money off to me for that wiper Motor
hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2013, 04:30:57 PM »

Am I wrong in thinking that these early holden switches switched on the - not the + so in the original harness the motor  had a constant power.So the brass or copper earth strap from the housing connects the homing plate on the internal drive plate so the wipers park after you turn them off,so the switch when turned to either on position acts as a earth and the wipers continue to run[wipe] until the strikers no longer make contact with earthing plate on the drive plate then they park.Sorry for the longwinded explanation.Install the motor with the earth strap in place as originally and there should be a+ wire through a fuse to your ignition,connect it to the B+ ,now the motor may move to the park position,dont worry,the two other terminals are the two separate earths through your switch.Always check these with a fused wire first.If you still have problems call me 0755477094.Cheers.
NO NAME

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2013, 11:13:57 PM »

yeah it was all wired up correct, it did work ok at first, i just didnt use them many times becuase the drivers sede arm was going off the screen.
  I found with a load on the motor would come to a stop, it seemed as if it was rolling on and catching the contact again before it stopped turning so i spent the day looking for bushes since the ones i had been using were chewed out and i found some fresher looking middle arms wich took out a fair bit of the slop, unsoldered the wires and broke off the remaining insulation and replaced it with heatshrink tube, soldered it back up, tested it out again, reinstalled the arms and wiper motor to the car  put it all back in and earth out the wired that goes to "SW" and got a little bit of movement and it stopped. i thought about it over a cigarette, came back and the wiper motor was red hot, i guess something jammed and even though i walked away with "SW" disconnected it was still in self park but unable to turn, dropped the arms back off to see if it would run free and it did nothing.
 I noticed a XP falcon wiper motor last week ended at $5 on ebay, since its just the motor i need and not arms one of these would get me two speeds and as far as i know they screw straight up to my base plate or would there be a advantage over a xp motor if i went to a commodore motor and used a headlight switch?

NO NAME

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2013, 11:58:05 PM »

^^^sorry about the weird spelling as of late, all the letters have worn off the keys on my keyboard.

mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2013, 09:44:39 AM »

The Xp motor is good, works with an EK - EH switch and bolts straight up to the base plate. It has a tiny little key on the drive spline which should be filed off so the EK arm will go on.
Use some EK bushes in the FC arms - they are nylon whereas the FC ones are soft rubber.

Ken
NO NAME

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2013, 10:41:58 AM »

The Xp motor is good, works with an EK - EH switch and bolts straight up to the base plate. It has a tiny little key on the drive spline which should be filed off so the EK arm will go on.
Use some EK bushes in the FC arms - they are nylon whereas the FC ones are soft rubber.

Ken
thanks ken, my bushes are white nylon, i had a bit of hassle getting it all to work without the OD of the bush turning inside the ID of the arms, in the ehd i took all the washes out and just used the bushes on their own, i did try superglue on the bushes but it didnt hold, it looked like with the last ones the bush was turning at the outside diameter wich chewed them up, ive had my head under there for a while again this morning trying to work out what could have binded up and allthough i have alot of crap jammed up under my dash i cant find what could possibly be clashing.
 Just wondering if the key is ground off the ford wiper motor does self park still work?
 the Ek wiper motors i used were only ever supposed to be temporary as it was engineered with a two speed wiper motor i took out of a sigma at work that was going to scrap, the engineer wanted a 2 speed and i didnt have money to get a motor that week so i just somehow adapted that one, the problem was it was too fast and when it was checked it spat the wipers off the car onto the ground next to the car, the low speed had the rite cyles per minute for a top speed and he said to set it up with a resistor and not long after that the sigma motor died.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: