FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 28, 2024, 06:02:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: FC wiper conversion  (Read 22192 times)
hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2013, 02:38:55 PM »

Graeme and Brett, the value of this forum is not only to show what we have done or are doing but to suggest new ideas.As times move on parts become rare and new solutions[modifications] will be needed.The ek wiper linkage,the hr front end,5x108 cpd wheels and brakes,Torana and commadore steerings[non power],tin commadore sumps,[mod for v6]eh,lc.lj sumps for red,blue black motors ect. all these units are disappearing faster than us old buggers that used them.Forums like this one are a priceless resource and dinosaurs like me have an obligation to pass this information while we have the grey matter to do so.Cheers. 
jack_fc

Model: FC

SouthWest Coast, Victoria

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2013, 03:16:29 PM »

Well said and too true...

"when I was a young lout, it was all about sex, drugs, rock'n'roll, beer and hot Holdens. Now I'm an old lout, but I've still got the old Holdens and beer..."
hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2013, 09:52:13 AM »

I am aware that at times i can be prejudged as arrogant but for the most part this is just lack of patients.Could someone answer this question.All my life i have had early holdens ,mostly FE,FC,and the other afternoon,coming home ,my wipers stopped.On inspection i found the first EK drive bracket bolt had loosened ,not a real issue.Driving home without wipers i had decided i should make a spare wiper unit so started going through dozens of containers of old parts and found a mounting plate from a FE FC vacuum unit with the driveshaft still in it,some old drive brackets,not sure what they are off,and a VR commadore wiper motor.After removing the drive shaft from the FC wiper mounting plate and drilling the right holes i bolted the motor on at the correct angle removing some of the housing to allow extra clearance on the firewall. Simple so far right?Here is where we move off the grid.For decades i have watched my wipers and those of other FE FC owners slap the windshield rubber or chrome at the ends of the stroke and am wondering if this is because of the FC having a smaller windshield than the EK ie. are the drive brackets[short arms bolted to the motor]too long,giving a longer wipe?I had previously thought that it was just play in the wiper linkage, but having just restored a FC and replacing every component am now not so sure of the EK brackets .So i have copied the cranking distance and offset of the FC unit.Second question is , being that the VR motor has provision for interim wiper,can i use the switch out of a XE falcon[ZH fairlane]to actuate the interim wiper.I am guessing the HELP marked terminals are high,earth,low, park ,power would be the B terminal and the centre W obviously the washer is this correct and will it work?Has anyone tried these mods or have i fallen into the obis?
Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2013, 02:27:50 PM »

slapping wipers...

try swapping the wipers over on the offset linkage, it's likely they are connected to the wrong ends.

in the shed
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2013, 05:34:25 PM »

In my opinion, the problem with most EK conversions into FC is that the nylon fittings from the EK arms are not used and that FC drive arms tend to get very sloppy when worn. All the cars I have converted to electric (either single or 2 speed) do not have the problem you describe. FC drive arms have soft rubber inserts which are not suitable for the electric motor. This is why EK has nylon inserts.
That said, the FC screen is certainly narrower than an EK screen so a couple of mm shortened from the 2 small linkages cannot be a bad thing.

Ken
hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2013, 09:54:12 AM »

The thing is i always use the nylon bushes.
spybo

Retrotech's the way to go

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2013, 09:19:22 PM »

Hi all,
I will be posting 2 of the EK drive arms for sale in the other subject heading.
Contact me by P.M. if you need to
Spyro
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: