FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 18, 2024, 11:16:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: External oil filter.  (Read 2893 times)
FC Dave

Model: FC

View Profile
« on: January 30, 2013, 08:58:03 PM »

Howdy, just watching a couple of external oil filters on Evilbay & wondering if there are any major mods needed to fit one. I have an FB/EK engine in my FC with no visible filter at all. Were they all external or is there a modifycation to fit a different setup?
Thanks in advance, Dave
87 velo
nsw-club

Model: FE

Sydney

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 11:25:00 PM »

The only oil filter in a standard grey is the strainer on the oil pick up in the sump, the kit that you commonly see fitted to a grey only filters some of the oil, it bleeds some off by fitting a t piece at the oil pressure switch and returns it to the sump.  Modern engines run full flow systems where all the oil runs through the filter and then feed to the oil galleries, there is usually a bypass valve where if the filter becomes clogged, oil bypasses the filter and goes into the engine (dirty oil, better than no oil)

So it's not as good as a modern system, but it is an improvement on what it currently has, will certainly help.  You didn't include the link to Ebay, but I think your talking about a NASCO style accessory.
Cheers Mick
FC Dave

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 07:05:00 AM »

Thanks 87. Yep, they are the Nasco style ones. Both about $40  at the moment, so I will keep an eye on them.
Harv
Guru

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 07:22:17 AM »

Dave,

This may help:

http://fefcholden.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,19567.0.html

Cheers,
Harv
FC Dave

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2013, 12:22:14 PM »

Thanks for that in depth info Harv. That info is very useful. Being intended as a weekend cruiser, I think I will stick to regular oil changes. I have just filled her up with new oil. I'll run that for a while, then pull the sump off for a proper clean. Doing the brakes at the moment, so it's only running in the shed.
Thanks again you blokes for your help.
Rodger

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 01:42:32 AM »

Hi, my first log.  Thankyou for the direction to the external filter document.  I was looking to see if extra oil was required but no it isn't.  I have an unregistered good condition FC that I want to turn into a regualr ride.  Too original to mess with but too changed to to take back to totally original (for me).  By the style it seems it was a project for someone in the 80's. Love it.  No pics up for you yet.  Thanks again.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: