FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 29, 2024, 08:14:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Rack mount position Front or Back???  (Read 3352 times)
NES304
Guru

Model: FC

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« on: January 19, 2013, 05:33:46 PM »

Looking at the sump modification at the moment and I have heard the turning circles are better with the rack rear mounted and at the moment I'd prefer to rear mount. It looks a  ???lot easier to mount at the front.

So, What are the pros and cons of mounting on either side of the crossmember?
(VH Comm shortened manual rack, HR Crossmember, HR Drum stubs, VS V8 rotors VS Calipers)

FCRB26
Guru

Model: FE and FC

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2013, 06:08:12 PM »

Put it on the back you lazy person..

I have 2 front mounted racks in my storage i could do a swap for my rear one back LOL

Rick 123

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 08:03:28 AM »

I've had Front and Rear racks.I would never go back to Front rack again
Rack on rear is the only way to go
FCRB26
Guru

Model: FE and FC

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 08:15:53 AM »

Yeah NES  "ONCE YOU GO BACK YOU NEVER GO BACK " Hang on that doesnt quite sound right.. Grin Grin

Pete

Ole

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2013, 09:25:09 AM »

Hi Nes, front mounted racks have their advantages with ease of fitment and extra clearance for exhaust etc, but if you want a better turning circle and minimal bump steer then a rear mounted rack is the way to go. I have had both and like Rick, I would never use a front mounted rack again.

Adelaide SA
NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2013, 07:11:57 PM »

Thanks for the comments. Just wanted to know what was the consensus out there. My rack is ready for rear mount (Ta Hoon  Grin).

hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2013, 10:10:07 PM »

Hi, I might be able to help with this .About 15 years ago I put an early commodore rack on the back of hr front end on my fc van .I shortened it about 155mm instead of the 175mm I had been advised to obtain zero bump steer. My reasoning being that I did not want the uc torana oil filter adaptor that inverts the filter on my red motor .As most of you are aware this is a problem , the oil can empty out of your filter over time .I have not noticed any bump steer and there is plenty of room for the standard oil filter. Now if you are using the shorter hq steering arms and you can find someone to make you  shims  to turn the arms  inward toward the rack you can solve the ackermann problem.With a little grinding on the lip of the spring tower and adjustment to the steering stop on the lower control arm [may have to move ] you can obtain at least original steering lock.Holden has always struggled with front mounted steering especially during the70's ....I guess we can alter the stub axle inclination and call it "radial tunned suspension".Seriously ,I spent 10 years doing rack conversions both torana and commodore on hr front ends.Unless it is absolutely unavoidable, any rear mounted rack is better.
TTV6FC
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2013, 10:55:01 PM »

Most of the front racks I have seen have been great (.)(.)....hehehe Wink

Run your fingers over my Holden and I'll run my Holden over your fingers!!!!
NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2013, 09:07:13 AM »

Most of the front racks I have seen have been great (.)(.)....hehehe Wink
Yeah the rear ones are horrible ahahhahahahahahh

Thanks for the insight hsv001

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print