FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 28, 2024, 07:19:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Engineers in South Australia.  (Read 6218 times)
hrpremier

Model: other Holden

Jason

Jason Fewins
View Profile
« on: October 11, 2012, 12:03:50 PM »

Has any got a list of contacts for ergineers / engineering companies that can sign off engine and body mods like chassis kits etc.  Slim pickings from my neck of the woods so I presume by best bet is to take it to Radelaide, but at 5 hours away I want someone who can look at pics i send them to give me guidelines, advise before i take the car up for an inspections.  I know each engineer is different to what they deem acceptable so I would like to talk to a few and get feedback from anyone who has dealt with thiers. 

OK go.................

I Have A Fever ............... And The Only Prescription ............... Is More Cowbell

http://gallery.oldholden.com/hrpremier/
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 01:10:40 PM »

I am not really up to date with who's approved and who isn't. Your first stop should be a phone call to DTEI Regency Park to see who is approved.
There was talk of an engineer a few years ago that was getting some wild stuff approved, I have yet to see (or hear of) any of these cars on the road.

Cajerridoc (SA Club) may be able to help as he got Ed's old V8 FE wagon passed for SA Rego.

hrpremier

Jason

Jason Fewins
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 02:47:43 PM »

I have contacted Motor Transport Inspection Depot locally who suppplied me with number for SA Vehicle Standards - (ph. 1300 882 248 )  I have rang them and spoke to a bloke who was very helpful and interested in what I was doing.  They are sending out a list of certified engineers in the state for me to contact.  I have also downloaded a form to submit to the Department of Vehicle Standard stating all mods I plan to make and once submitted they will send me a list of the mods that need to be signed off on.

http://www.sa.gov.au/upload/franchise/Transport,%20travel%20and%20motoring/Motoring/Vehicle%20Standards%20and%20Modifications/MR620%20APPLICATION%20TO%20MODIFY%20Motor%20Vehicle.pdf

They told me the engineer would normally come and look at the car at the start of the project and not want to see it again until it was roadworthy.  Does this sound correct?  I would have thought it would need to be inspected during the build process, so as to if anything is wrong then you don't have to undo any work.  Particalry if its already been painted etc and things could get hidden.

Maybe I'll send him/her a link to my topic on the forum and they can stay updated that way.  Seems to easy  Roll Eyes

Anyhow, any feedback on SA engineers good or bad would be appreciated.

Jase

I Have A Fever ............... And The Only Prescription ............... Is More Cowbell

collecta
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 07:41:46 PM »

Hey Jase,
 two that come to mind in Adelaide are Rory Thompson and Doug Potts. Both are doing club members fc's. A ute with 6.2 6sp auto and a 350 van also an fj sedan 350. I googled the names and found links and info. They are both well respected in their fields.

cheers
Scott

i collect old holdens coz they never die!
hrpremier

Jason

Jason Fewins
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2012, 08:17:17 AM »

Thanks scott.  I'll wait until I get my paperwork which has been sent and go from there.  Im playing with a 304 EFI so they might be a good start.  Cheers for the reply.

stapla

Model: FE

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2012, 10:00:00 PM »

I engaged Rory Tompson to engineer a commodore LS1 5.7L motor into my LJ torana.  I got him to do the regency application, and we got an approval in principal from Regency.

They put a few conditions - can't remember them exactly.

from memory -

lane change test
dyno test (max power for tyre rating I think)
repeated brake test (check brake fade I think)
unmodified LS1 motor and ECU

jwm

Model: FE

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2012, 08:45:44 AM »

Guys, keep in mind that there is supposedly 'soon to be approved and implemented' Australian Wide Engineering Standards for all modified vehicles. I do a bit of stuff with the local Shoalhaven Street Rods and Custom Club and they said at the last meeting that this legislation was just about to be signed off. This new legislation will supposedly make things a lot less confusing and contradictory from state to state and things will supposedly be a lot simpler.
john253a

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2013, 08:36:20 PM »

sound like you might be getting what the rest of aust has got, that means nothing over 4.2liters in an fc

Good + Fast = Not Cheap
Cheap + Fast = Not Good
Good + Cheap = Not Fast
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2013, 11:48:33 PM »

sound like you might be getting what the rest of aust has got, that means nothing over 4.2liters in an fc

That's gonna suck considering the effort put in years ago to get V8s in earlies, a lot of meetings with Govt/Engineers etc, etc  Undecided

john253a

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2013, 07:58:59 PM »

if its already in its fine, and if it already had first inspection, theyll give you a dead line to have it done, or it wont get passed,
you can still get it passed but not with a normal engineer you need to get iva or something like that done,
this cost about 3500 compaired to 800 for the normal job, and requires a lot more work and test, to be done

im in the stages of getting paperwork and paper drawn for requirement and prerequisites to a street reg blown 6.2 6spd passed in vic at the moment
and at the moments it seem a rebody or state change is the only option

Good + Fast = Not Cheap
Cheap + Fast = Not Good
Good + Cheap = Not Fast
hrpremier

Jason

Jason Fewins
View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2013, 08:01:39 AM »

When I was in Queensland I looked at my options and spoke to the Department of Tansport up there and was informed the maximum capacity engine that could be registered into my FC was 307ci,  Hence why I have now gone down the path of a 304ci.  That information I believe that figure was worked on a power to weight ration based on a Tare weight of a Standard Sedan from GMH Specifications.

I may be wrong, and the powers that be have a tendency to move to goal posts without warning so things may have changed.

hrpremier

Jason

Jason Fewins
View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2013, 10:07:57 AM »

Phew!!!!!

No panic stations just yet.

I've just heard a reply frrom two different engineers in SA and both have not heard or received any confirmation of engine limitsthrough a National Code of Practice to be implemented any time soon.  Not to say it is not going to happen but at this stage I've still got some time up my sleeve.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: