FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 29, 2024, 08:26:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: h4 headlights  (Read 3716 times)
surferboy
wa-club
Guru

Model: FE and FC

10,000 POINTS !

View Profile
« on: August 18, 2012, 06:15:31 PM »

I don't know why  Huh Roll Eyes
but i decided to do it myself and fix my headlight instead of paying somebody else to do it  Shocked

a couple of weeks ago my kerbside headlight failed. after a couple of hours trying to figure out how the headlight comes apart (hint don't read an FC workshop manual when working with H4 lights !)
I gave up and payed $65 to an electrician to do it.
as is the norm... once one side was fixed... this week the drivers side headlight stopped working.
NO WORRIES  Cheesy I know what I did wrong last time
"I CAN DO THIS and save myself some money"  i thought to myself
Just got to undo the three screws,unplug the unit,move the rubber cover, unclip a bulb,replace bulb, clip together, replace rubber, reconnect and put three screws back in  EASY  Grin

Bugger .... at least I only buggered up one screw and bruised one knuckle (and threw 4 temper tantrums - I have a low tolerance for mechanical problems) in the process
Down to the shop with the old bulb,  to find the shop doesn't have one the same, so I end up(having another tantrum)  paying extra to get a matching pair, so now I have to pull apart the good light  Cry (and chuck another wobbly)
The GOOD NEWS is after 8 hours I've got it back together and the lights work

BUT

How do I adjust the light beam patern HuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuh

since the rebuild the light beam has been very short so I've been on high beam to see where I'm going.

How do the three screws adjust the light unit ? Theres a 1''long one at the top and one on the left side that go through holes in the headlight unit into brackets inside the mounting dome thing and a 1/2'' one one the right that fits in a notch on the headlight unit into a bracket on the edge of the dome thing. They seem to just hold the light unit against the outer edge of the dome thing ?
I would post pics but my photobucket has decided to not work now ! Angry

Cool Cool Cool
Next time I'll go do 8hrs overtime at work earn $400 and pay somebody else $65 to do it !

cruisin's great with a 58
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 06:40:27 PM »

The top screw adjusts the up & down adjustment of the light while the one on the side adjusys the left/right movement of the light.

Ken
surferboy
wa-club
Guru

10,000 POINTS !

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 12:56:01 AM »

g'day Ken

thats what I kind of figured.
the short screw in the notched section is fixed and the two longer screws would move the light.
But I must have done something wrong because i turn the screws but the lamp is stationary Huh
It seems as though the bottom of the light needs to come forward to raise the light beam as the top is screwed in tight. I thought there might have been some kind of rubber spacer (?) that moves the light away from the backing housing thing and compresses when the screws are tightened
I'm trying to figure if there is some secret sequence to fit it all together that I have missed.
I can't find any instructions on Google.and being an old modification I'm not sure if it's all been installed correctly

Cool Cool Cool

mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 08:00:40 PM »

It sounds like it has been put together wrong, The parts book says there should be 3 adjusting screws per headlight. This would allow the bottom of your haedlight to come out further.

Ken
surferboy
wa-club
Guru

10,000 POINTS !

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 03:09:55 PM »

IT"S PUT TOGETHER WRONG !
why does that not suprise me  Roll Eyes

Did the usual trick and ripped Cathys "ugly duckling" apart
Found Cathys has adjusting screws with springs on them to move the light forward and backwards at the top and sides
The wagon just screws staight into the body !

The dullness ended up being a wiring issue and the lights not coming on properly
( I did overtime and payed the electrician to solve that one)

Figure now,   I just pack the back of the "adjustment" screws to get the alignment right and tighten them up and problem is fixed   (after I change the current assortment of odd screws with matching screws that fit properly)

BUT... then more problems... Roll Eyes Angry

The headlights are turning off !
so I tried different scenarios to try and figure what might be tripping them off

Sometimes they don't come on at all when you pull out the switch
sometimes they come on for 15 minutes
sometimes 2 minutes
tried side lights, without turning on headlights.  they seem to stay on
tried side light after the headlights started playing up and the side lights kept going off also
tried headlights this morning. stayed on for 15 minutes then started going off and on for a few seconds at a time
There doesn't seem to be a particular pattern. It seems to be random.
It might seem weird but they usually work during daylight and then not turn on during night time  Huh Huh Huh

HELP !

Earthing, short somewhere, Relays or switch problem ?
If I've buggered up the switch can I get a NEW one ? or can an electrician fix this one ?

Any advice/hints appreciated
It's back to the electrician next week, anything that makes his job easier (and QUICKER)

Ta
surferboy
 Cool Cool Cool

GM

Model: FE

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 03:21:37 PM »

Try changing the relay

Upon the hill there stood a cow.
It must have moved, It's not there now.
FCRB26
Guru

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 04:51:16 PM »

Factory has no relay the bi metal strip on the switch acts like a relay its pulling too much current make sure you have a relay fitted.
Your switch should activate the relay not the lights this im guessing is the problem.? Huh

mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2013, 05:49:01 PM »

Yep, you need a relay fitted. Generally H4 headlights pull too much current for the old switch. I doubt you have damaged the switch as the bimetallic strip is protecting it and your wiring.

Ken
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: