FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 29, 2024, 10:11:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Ed's '42 Ford Jailbar Project  (Read 28018 times)
Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« on: August 03, 2012, 02:56:20 PM »

Hi Folks,

What a great new section... I often come here but don't really have a lot to share project wise.
Since my FE, Ive been a bit busy, playing bit parts in other peoples projects, but not having my own.

that changed after  Alex gave me the heads up on a great deal on a cab and guards out at Cobar.
It was then the project was born.. I am building a 1942 Ford Jailbar pickup.

The chassis used is a 1935 - 1940 Ford Chassis, and I'm currently setting up the posts at the memento before taking it apart repairing and modifying the kick up to get a lower stance.
A little road trip to Byron Bay and it was mine.

Front end will be jag Series 2, rear end, is a Ford EF XR6 diff, which will be shortened... Planning to run airbags, so it can lay out.

The power plant chosen is a hemi of a different style, a Toyota 1UZFE (4.0L Quad cam) mated to a T700 R4 gear box.

So far it's been mainly collecting parts, a lot of research and discussion with the engineer.

I'm doing a couple of other projects as well, so the Jailbar is on the low priority list.

Just finished and sold a motorbike project to fund more parts for the project.

thanks for looking.
Out to Cobar

beautiful Byron Bay

getting my jig posts setup and measuring out the chassis.

my workspace

the engine.

my bike I just sold today to fund some wheels and tools.

Oh and a little Datsun 1200 i built last year for my stepson.

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
customFC
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 10:04:11 PM »

Great stuff Ed.
Looking forward to following the progress.
I love the way you engineer stuff to use what you have on hand.
Regards
Alex

cruisin_doug

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012, 06:31:14 PM »

Should make a nice ride when it comes together Ed, those Toyota Quad cam motors are real nice Grin

Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 08:47:58 AM »

thanks guys,

Hoping the 1UZFE lives up to expectations, I've always wanted to use one of these engines.

Progress is somewhat slow at this stage, as I have had to find an engineer who is willing to certify my modifications.  I didn't believe it when I was told to shop around for the right engineer... so the project proposal is all on paper with a description of all my mods and how it will be done and Im off to meet the new engineer next week.

Most of the major parts have been collected as I come across them. Now I need to get in there and start building.  Just have a couple of other things to finish off before I can really get into it.

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
FCRB26
Guru

Model: FE and FC

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 09:32:58 AM »

How do you find your cobalt drop saw ed?

i bought one for work unreal exept its the noisiest thing i have ever used.

FYI we use peninsula saw works in sydney now to sharpen our blades they do good work.

Pete

Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 09:46:18 AM »

Hey Pete,

The drop saw is just a cheap GMC unit which has lasted longer than I thought it would.  The fence doesn't line up properly so I need to check it with a square whenever I move it, but it's got a ton of grunt. 

Noisey is the perfect description. Ive put a carbide toothed blade on it, and it cuts well, although lots of sparks... it's a monster!!  but it gets the job done.

a nice slow, water cooled saw would be perfect... pity they don't make budget versions of those.

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
FCRB26
Guru

Model: FE and FC

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 12:46:06 PM »

I just sold my old brobo with 3 blades $900  Grin

Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2013, 12:07:09 PM »

Here's a little project update it's been about 12 months... not alot of Holden in this one besides an HK steering column.

Chassis boxed, jag front fitted, diff shortened, 4 link rear tacked in, engine and trans being fitted now.

Unfortunately an FC wont be slung over the top.

here was a mock up prior to setting up the chassis in teh jig, so ride height could be determined.

anyway it's Friday, hope you enjoy it.

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2013, 09:12:35 PM »

Nice Ed starting to take shape now  Grin Grin Grin Grin we will have to get together and check out each others trucks I'm so over building my truck in the driveway  Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry......FC427.......

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
Crumpsnr

Shellharbour NSW

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2013, 09:35:40 PM »

I love it. If the boss didn't keep reminding me I've got one project already I'd be into one.

Martyn
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2013, 08:40:59 AM »

Thanks guys glad you  like it and tolerate it on a Holden forum  Cheesy

Will have to check out your build Mark, after building one comfortably on a jig I don't think I can go back.

Once it's a roller I will be forced to put it on the ground though, that time is getting closer.

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
jack_fc

SouthWest Coast, Victoria

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2013, 05:16:25 PM »

Thanks guys glad you  like it and tolerate it on a Holden forum  Cheesy

Cheers

Ed

'Like it..."   nah; not really....

('like it' is just too big an understatement; I could 'tolerate' shitloads more info and pics...   )

(how about I try 'pretty-please, Ed; more pics n info'??)

cheers, jack

"when I was a young lout, it was all about sex, drugs, rock'n'roll, beer and hot Holdens. Now I'm an old lout, but I've still got the old Holdens and beer..."
JB
Guru

Jason Blanchard
View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2013, 07:03:33 PM »

That's why we made the section Ed to see hat the other awesome creations that are going on with the guys!

Looks great, but we wouldn't expect anything less from you lol

Cheers
JB

Phone +64 223509263
fink

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2013, 08:56:12 AM »

Hey Ed, looks like it's all coming together nice!With the Jag f/end ,did you weld it into the chassis or bolt it in,thanks, Gaz! Cool
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2013, 11:23:13 AM »

Gday Gaz,

The front end is bolted in with plates in the chassis rail and brackets to the 2 front outriggers.

Project has slowed down somewhat due to moving and having to work on another project (datsun 1200) to fix up some accident damage.

I am partway through constructing the middle X member now in 2 RHS layers and working out the best layout for the rear airbags and fuel tank mount.

still working toward getting it off the jig by Christmas.

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
GOA350
vic-club

FE's are great when they've got a V8

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2013, 12:33:23 PM »

Looking good Ed, Keep up the great work and the updates, i too am going to take on a hotrod project in the future.
FC Dave

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2013, 05:17:02 AM »

Those quad cams are turning up in a few projects. Saw one that looked good in a HT ute a few weeks ago. always good to see a truck getting a makeover.(whatever the breed).
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2013, 10:18:19 AM »

Hey Dave,

Ive always wanted to use a 1UZ..

Guess it's time for an update... things have been going slower than anticipated but Im not really fussed.. that's just the nature of projects.

internal x member has been tacked in, and rear suspension is more or less done.. delays have largely been due to re-working areas I was not happy with.  All the 4 link brackets were made up as the kit ones are horrible and don't allow good placement.

Currently designing a dropout gearbox x member, which sounds easy but i'm finding the need for a lathe to turn up bushes and various tubes and bits and bobs.. with Xmas approaching maybe Santa may bring me one.

I usually post up pics on my facebook page but for those not in there.. here are some shots.

4 link top view

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
JB
Guru

Jason Blanchard
View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2013, 05:59:47 PM »

'Bout time you shared the love on here again!!
Hard to go back and look at FB snaps

Looking awesome!
Cheers
JB

Phone +64 223509263
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: