FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 29, 2024, 04:20:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 41   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Heart Transplant - adding 172ci  (Read 450956 times)
ehsv6

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2012, 12:48:07 PM »

My EH build was on the basis of use as much as possible from the donor VT as well, including the wiring loom etc. Used V6 conversions engine mounts, extractors and steering rack. You can see it at http://www.ehholden.com.au/gallery/mempage/mempage01642.htm which gives all the specs.  Its all very do-able.  I used the VT speedo, had Holden disable the airbag system. Now has a aftermarket steering wheel  (must update photo) on the VT column with my own adapter.
I also used the fuel pump using a weldring from Castle Electric  http://www.castleauto.com.au/   Go to Products, EFI components and scroll down.
Worth buying the CDRom manual from Holden. Only had to lengthen two parts of the loom, grabbed the pieces from the wreckers and spliced them in. Watch the colour codes on wires, often has same colours on different gauge wires. Basically left the location on components in the same place, although I did re route the ECM wiring that travels from the right side across the firewall to the inside. Not as radical rewire as JB's.

Cheers  Keith
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 12:58:07 PM by ehsv6 » Logged
NES304
Guru

Model: FC

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2012, 03:53:52 PM »

Bloody beautiful ride mate. I need a hairdryer bolted onto mine too!
Glad to see you have the VT booster and master setup, how does it run with those calipers? I have been asking the commodore guys about it and they keep saying just put the VT calipers on. That is so much more involved. At least this way if I use VT master and Booster I can upgrade my VS calipers at a later stage and not worry about the booster/master later.
I haven't got the CD yet but will have to get it very soon. Do you have a link to more build photos? Thanks Keith
Cheers

ehsv6

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2012, 05:42:18 PM »

Unfortunately the motors are different, different heads being the main prob in bolting the factory supercharger on, different internals also.  Re photos have plenty but not on any website, happy to share via email. Brakes are fantastic, no need at all to go VT.  VS calipers will need a adapter plate to bolt up to HQ stubs, drop spindles are a better idea as either caliper will bolt up. HQ blanks were drilled with commodore pattern to match rears.  Booster is mounted to firewall with a bracket from Pat, had to modify it to suit different bolt spacing on booster.   Cheers
NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2012, 06:53:50 PM »

Unfortunately the motors are different, different heads being the main prob in bolting the factory supercharger on, different internals also.  Re photos have plenty but not on any website, happy to share via email. Brakes are fantastic, no need at all to go VT.  VS calipers will need a adapter plate to bolt up to HQ stubs, drop spindles are a better idea as either caliper will bolt up. HQ blanks were drilled with commodore pattern to match rears.  Booster is mounted to firewall with a bracket from Pat, had to modify it to suit different bolt spacing on booster.   Cheers
I am aware of their differences (dual belts etc etc) and if I am ripping out this engine after all this I'll be going 304!!!. Great news on the brakes. I have already got mine sorted, photos in the thread soon.  PM sent, Cheers

FCRB26
Guru

Model: FE and FC

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2012, 07:14:18 PM »

Photos in the thread if pete gets his s--t sorted on the brake side.

NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2012, 07:41:52 PM »

Yeah Pete Hurry up Grin

FCRB26
Guru

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2012, 08:11:17 PM »

At least you will have a stereo to listen to while its up on blocks.  Grin

NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2012, 08:41:31 PM »

SPOILER ALERT!!!
Thunder Stealer

FCRB26
Guru

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2012, 05:36:26 AM »

OH well complain after i chop that diff was that 80mm or 100mm you wanted chopped LOL Grin

NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2012, 01:03:51 PM »

Tu Shea Mister Hoon Grin
Look familiar JB?

This sunset might look familiar to you too (well the airfield will anyway). Pretty good windows where I work.

NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2012, 01:10:57 PM »

I'll steal the stereo out of the VT too. Not anything massively fancy But at least I can control with remote from drives seat after its fitted in Hoon's creation.

Cut transmission tunnel in case I needed it later

Car is pretty much gutted and deprived of almost everything

Looks like a stolen car now....

I scored a live axle LSD (for pretty much nothing) as I didn't want the pain of trying to fit an IRS diff. Plan is to get another diff to use both short axles.

I don't need that tunnel now though as I ended up buying a tunnel from Patty G. At least I know they fit really well

NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2012, 10:18:40 PM »

So what do I still need since I used as much as I could from the VT?
Another diff, steel fuel tank, manual steering rack, HR drum stubs, Steering arms, steel, sump, rotors and calipers to suit drum stubs...

Mr wreckers can I have a diff and fuel tank from a VS? 300 bucks... Undecided

P plater on gumtree with VS run out of rego I have a bet for you. I bet you 400 bucks I can put your car on my trailer.
I won the bet....

I took to my phone to advertise Car parts on gumtree as soon as I left the guys house, as I was unloading car at my place.....Phone call:  Can I buy the front end panels for 400 bucks? I'll be there this afternoon.
Bloody beautiful, free diff and tank for me  Grin Grin Grin
The bloke who bought the panels changed his VP into a VS in an afternoon

This is where I am sleeping tonight. My wife is not happy with me buying another car

She doesn't understand the price of free. I bet if I told her it was a new pair of shoes I bought and then sold the box it came in for the same price she'd understand.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 10:26:35 PM by NES232 » Logged

NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2012, 11:21:18 PM »

had Holden disable the airbag system.

Cheers  Keith
What does Holden need to do for that?
For the ABS I was told just to take out the fuse and system disabled.

ehsv6

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2012, 02:06:21 PM »

They use their Tech 2 to set the number of loops to 0 in the speedo, this stops the setting of alarms in the speedo (stops airbag light coming on) and the ecu, stops the check engine light coming on, and the subesquent chimes each time you start it. 
NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2012, 09:24:50 AM »

Thanks Keith, Really appreciate the lengthy email and tonnes of photos too. Massive help. Cheers

WHEELS.... Had a bloke roll up (pun intended) looking for a door and noticed the fake clubsport rims. He said he didn't like his 18's as they were too hard to ride on so he swapped me. I still had the 15's off the VT and the 17's on the trailer. Bloody wheels everywhere.

And then there are these wheels which with commodore stud pattern are useless to me. Now need to find a suitable rim for an FC

NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2012, 09:28:42 AM »

Picked up a set of pacemaker extractors a while back, painted em up and since realise they don't bloody fit...

NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2012, 10:48:21 AM »

Side note with the Clubby rims, Couldn't find a key for the lock nuts. Result was me having to SMASH on an 18mm socket unwind half way and then try and smash the socket off the nut. What a bitch to get off.

I was also told that if Holden worked your engine they changed the colour of the rocker covers. But this engine is completely shagged with near 340kms on it. I'm not using this one

john253a

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2012, 02:28:27 AM »

side note, next time you need to get lock nuts off without the key, get your self a pin socket

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Multi-fit-socket-7mm-19mm-/360254762551

unlocks any and all security nuts and bolts

Good + Fast = Not Cheap
Cheap + Fast = Not Good
Good + Cheap = Not Fast
NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2012, 06:44:58 AM »

side note, next time you need to get lock nuts off without the key, get your self a pin socket

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Multi-fit-socket-7mm-19mm-/360254762551

unlocks any and all security nuts and bolts
Dammit, I looked everywhere for one of those and couldn't find one. I just bought this one now anyway!
I had to get em off quick anyway as I sold them

NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2012, 11:19:06 PM »

The VT came with a stage 4 memcal chip and I painted up some pacemaker extractors.....
Yep they're the ones that don't fit,  Don't know if I'm going to bother with that EGR thing hanging down the side.

Speaking of not fitting, I also asked a few weeks back about ABS and VT calipers. I now know why the ABS can't run as it is a sealed hub and I need to fit a stub axle
So I am running VS calipers all round
Here they are all dirty and then blasted

Left over paint so I painted em and then cured the paint.

hahahahahhahahahahhahahaha
shit sleeping in the car again......  Cry
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 11:25:02 PM by NES232 » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 41   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: