FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 23, 2024, 07:29:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Respect Voting System  (Read 23002 times)
pedro
qld-club
Guru

Model: FC

If you haven't grown up by 50, you don't have to.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2012, 11:12:11 AM »
+2

Thanks Stinky, my apologies for jumping to conclusions, you've been awfully quiet on here lately, must be doing heaps of upholstery Wink
           Pedro

I love animals - they taste great

F4+
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2012, 01:23:14 PM »

you've been awfully quiet on here lately, must be doing heaps of upholstery Wink

Well I certainly haven't been working on my own cars  Cry

pedro
qld-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2012, 02:44:01 PM »

Well I certainly haven't been working on my own cars

Bummer, you finally got the shed all set up and now you can't make use of it.
             Pedro

F4+
collecta
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2012, 04:15:36 PM »

When can we get a poll under way?

i collect old holdens coz they never die!
FCRB26
Guru

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2012, 04:20:10 PM »

Pedro leave stinky alone
he has a heap of "IMPORTANT" jobs on the go  Wink

pedro
qld-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2012, 06:30:44 PM »

One of those jobs wouldn't happen to be one of yours would they Pete Wink.
              Pedro

F4+
FCRB26
Guru

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2012, 08:05:12 PM »

Yes an FC interior in flat pack is getting done back to stock looking.

pedro
qld-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2012, 08:30:48 PM »
+1

Didn't know you could get an interior in flat pack Pete, do they sell them at Ikea Roll Eyes Grin
                           Pedro

F4+
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2012, 01:54:01 PM »

Hmm, I seem to have come into this late, because I've no idea what it was that sparked the thing off. Anyway, my 2c...

All the theorising about ganging up on people and downvoting them is all quite valid, but it's never actually happened*.

The point of the +/- system was to alleviate some burden from the moderators. A post (eg a joke) that people found unacceptable would disappear if it got enough downvotes (5, from memory), without requiring mod intervention. People can -ve something when they might not necessarily go to the trouble of clicking "Report Post" and making a more formal "complaint". (When they come up, we take them seriously, of course.)

Obviously it would be quite negative to only ever have downvotes, so by the same token, posts that are helpful or particularly good can be upvoted.

Now I'm not wedded to the good post/bad post mod - if most people would prefer it abandoned, then I'll remove it. Personally, I'm in the habit of upvoting anything I like - joke, technical advice and so on. I'll only downvote if I think a joke is in really poor taste, or when there is advocation of illegal vehicle mods, negative comments about VicRoads, RMS etc that are just not constructive and so on.

I see a lot of replies that say "thanks, that's good advice", "you should do what <someone> suggested", but no upvote to go with it. In my opinion, if there was more use of the upvote, then the occasional downvote wouldn't be a big issue.

I'll take it up with the Site Admins, and see what the consensus is. If they want to put it to a public poll, that's what we'll do.

cheers
RET

(* Two people did it to each other once, which was pretty much self-defeating.)

[Edit: never mind, found origin of discussion.]
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 02:04:48 PM by RET » Logged

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
jack_fc

SouthWest Coast, Victoria

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2012, 06:11:34 PM »

All the theorising about ganging up on people and downvoting them is all quite valid, but it's never actually happened*.

The point of the +/- system was to alleviate some burden from the moderators.cheers
RET

Ret, I wasn't aware of the systems potential to alleviate some of the burden from the mods; if it achieves this aim without causing undue problems then it's a good thing...
But the system DOES appear to be causing problems for some contributors.

And whilst there's thankfully been no 'ganging up' on people and downvoting them, the potential is definitely there - just ONE person here (purely as an experiment) managed to vote another UP from +5 to around +66 in the space of a few minutes!
(said person then 'owned up' to the up-voted one who was most amused... and said person will now seek the assistance of a long-suffering Admin to restore the status quo Roll Eyes)

I hope that after more discussion on the pros and cons of the system, the Admins will see fit to put it to a public poll.

cheers, jack

"when I was a young lout, it was all about sex, drugs, rock'n'roll, beer and hot Holdens. Now I'm an old lout, but I've still got the old Holdens and beer..."
pedro
qld-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2012, 08:00:30 PM »

just ONE person here (purely as an experiment) managed to vote another UP from +5 to around +66 in the space of a few minutes!

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin I thought Dean became awfully popular all of a sudden 70+ now, lucky the person who did it remains unnamed or they might have gotten into trouble Wink

I'll take it up with the Site Admins, and see what the consensus is. If they want to put it to a public poll, that's what we'll do.

Sounds fair to me RET.
                     Pedro

F4+
jack_fc

SouthWest Coast, Victoria

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2012, 08:20:57 PM »
+1

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin I thought Dean became awfully popular all of a sudden 70+ now, lucky the person who did it remains unnamed or they might have gotten into trouble Wink

Pedro

Yeah, Pedro, but he's a good bloke anyway!! (I'm talking about Dean; not the 'unnamed' shifty bastard who voted him up...  Grin)

"when I was a young lout, it was all about sex, drugs, rock'n'roll, beer and hot Holdens. Now I'm an old lout, but I've still got the old Holdens and beer..."
DN2168
nsw-club

See you on the road Skag!!

dean.nommensen
View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2012, 08:27:52 PM »

What can I say...my fans love me Tongue.
Seriously though, if the mods can cull my sudden popularity so I can get my swelled head back in the door Tongue Grin.

Dean.
Not Happy Jan
nsw-club

Aussie adventure

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2012, 06:00:19 AM »

Dean...
what's wrong with plus 69 ? that could definitely give you a swelled head though. Cheesy Cheesy Shocked
Nick

You can never have too many!
Port Macquarie NSW
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2012, 04:50:17 PM »
+2

OK, the site admin team have had a chat about it, and agreed to trial a compromise solution that hopefully alleviates the main issue people were having with the feature.

Upvote and Downvote is still enabled, and if a post receives gets downvoted to -5, it will disappear. This is the main purpose of the feature, so that you can mark posts you think are not appropriate for the site, and if enough people agree, the post will disappear, without manual intervention by the moderators. (Of course, if you feel something is seriously inappropriate, the "Report to Moderator" option is always available. When users go to the trouble of putting their concerns in writing the Mods take it seriously.)

However, aggregate +/- scores for forum members are no longer displayed*. As a result, there is virtually no benefit in gaming the system with lots of votes for a particular person's posts in either direction.

If you feel strongly enough about the issue of posts being downvoted, there is a spot in your Profile under "Look and Layout Preferences" where you can choose to ignore Downvotes and show posts that would otherwise be hidden. They will appear "greyed out" if you do this, to alert you to the fact they have been disapproved of by 5 or more fellow users.

We believe this should resolve the issues with Upvote and Downvote.

cheers
RET

* Top Ten Most Respected is still available from the More Stats link.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 08:48:57 PM by RET » Logged

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
Johns

Model: something else...

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2012, 08:46:33 PM »

Understand Richard, sounds fair enough.

regards
John

Now that I've got the beige with the grey, I'm looking for the cream, the bone, the ivory and the off white
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: