FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 29, 2024, 08:15:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Hand Brake Cable  (Read 2784 times)
FireKraka

Model: FC

View Profile
« on: March 22, 2012, 05:55:50 PM »

Guys (and girls) Grin
When I started my V6 conversion instead of grafting the whole floor I only grafted the VP floor hump so that I have the standard shifter and the centre handbrake.(just setting the scene for my question Roll Eyes,
Does anybody know where I can get a cable made (I am in WA) as the standard cable is far too long or how have others overcome this. I mocked up a cable by cutting a standard one and bulldog clipping it to the length so I do have a fair idea of how long it has to be.

Appreciate the help in advance as always.

Regards
Neil H
JB
qld-club
Guru

Model: FE

Jason Blanchard
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 06:03:11 PM »

Neil,
I had my cables made locally. Just looked them up on google. Took in the old, gave them the new lengths and made to suit. Brake places do it as well, but they are the middle man so cost a heap more.
Cheers
JB

Phone +64 223509263
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 06:17:02 PM »

Its pretty easy to do.

All you need is a ball made from mild steel similar to the original in size. This could be made on a lathe or roughly by just grinding a piece of rod to the approximate shape - it's not critical.
Drill a hole through it so that the cable slips through easily.

Now get your length right - measure twice cut once Tongue You only have to cut one end of the cable.

Remove the cable from the car and insert the wire into the ball.

Silver solder the ball in place making sure that the solder wicks right the way through the ball.

Clean up and install.

Ken
FireKraka

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 03:09:20 PM »

Thanks for the info guys.

I did google it JB but couldn't find anyone in Perth although I'm sure there would be. I found a mob in Vic called Auto Cables very helpful the guy said they could make a commodore cable for me to my desired length complete with the outers for $130 plus $13 express post to Perth. I thought that was a pretty good price for a custom cable.

How much did yours cost? and how is your build going I haven't seen an update for a while Huh
Ole

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 04:21:26 PM »

Hi Neil,
I get Flexible Drive Agencies to do mine in SA. They have a branch in WA in Welshpool, where ever that is. Their number is 9362 1544.
Regards, Ole.

Adelaide SA
FireKraka

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2012, 05:54:13 PM »

Thanks Ole that will make life alot easier and maybe a little cheaper (it all helps) Welshpool is close to the airport and not far from where I work which makes it even easier.

Regards
Neil H
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: