FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 01, 2024, 04:45:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Colour dilema and bits and pieces  (Read 5810 times)
fe350chev
Guru

Model: FE and FC

View Profile
« on: July 16, 2011, 05:51:33 PM »

Hi all

I actually want and opinion on this so go for your life. Pls don't say "do what you want".  Smiley

I am not sure whether to do the taxi in a black and white theme as it was painted just after original purchase, because that is the history component of the car and was used as a taxi from 58 to 73.

My intention was to do it up as the taxi, but I have been looking around and I don't mind the Ascot Grey/Wangarra grey combo that is on the plate, this looks good with the original riff red/black interior. Do you think it should go back to a taxi or should I go back to the original and just have the story of the taxi and keep whathever taxi stuff with it. Would it be more collectable as a taxi with all the history and docs I have (taxi licences etc) or would it be better for originality to go back to grey.

The engine bay is black so I was also wondering if this would have been black originally if it was made in adelaide.

Also, under the right rear fin, there is a noticeablew groove running along where the strip holes are. Does this suggest the rear quarter was changed at some stage, quite possible if it was a taxi that long.

Also, is it better for originality sake to ot paint the diff and various underbody parts or paint them and another big question - How do you get the steering wheel off, do u start with the horn button centre or whats the go to get to bolt inside.

1 more thing, does it matter what paint u do it in for originality sake of could i go 2 pac. Is it better for a more authentic job to use replica paint or does that not matter much. While on paint, are you allowed to grit blast the front suspension and powder coat it or are u suppose to just use paint? any suggestions???

Deano

Current Rides: 1958 "Black and White Taxi" FC special Sedan, 1957 FE special Sedan, BA Futura,  2015 VF Commodore, 1956 Austin Tipper Truck
Johns

Model: something else...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 07:25:05 AM »

Hi Deano.

As the owner of the car it really is up to you what you do, so you should do what you want to do. Nevertheless, here are my thoughts - since you asked... Grin

Surviving Taxis by their nature are rare, Wangarra over Ascot is not a rare colour scheme (code 254), though the reverse isnt as common (255). If you were to go for black it would be best to get all of the original taxi gear and present the car as it would have been. This would certainly generate more interest than just another two tone grey FC.

AFAIK Adelaide cars until 2nd quarter/mid 59 had body colour firewalls and black skirts, after this they were all black in all plants. Ken may have a different view on this. Have a rub of the firewall, if your car is Ascot over Wangarra, the firewall should be Wangarra and vice versa.

Dont know about the quarter.

Not sure what you mean here?

Button off first you will probably need a puller.

The original finish was Duco or nitrocellulose lacquer, it wasnt durable. Acryllic wasnt used in Holdens until part way through FB production so acrylic isnt authentic either. Most shops only do 2 pack these days and it is very durable. Acrylic is easier to use at home and less dangerous. If you put some flatenner in 2 pack you can lose some of the "glassiness" that looks wrong on these old girls. FWIW worth that would be my approach. I am contemplating painting my 53 Buick and that will be my approach.

As to under carriage, its up to you. You are certainly allowed to sandblast the suspension, its really the easiest most effective way to clean it. Powdercoat is very durable and easy to clean, I used this on my FE where I could including the complete cross member.

Hope this helps

John

Now that I've got the beige with the grey, I'm looking for the cream, the bone, the ivory and the off white
fe-ambo

Model: FE

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 07:42:39 AM »

Go with the taxi theme especially seen you have paperwork and other taxi stuff to go with it. I personally think it would be more appealing as a taxi and more collectable.

Cheers
Paul

If take a ride in a ambulance you gotta a chance,
if you take a ride in a hearse its gotta be worse.

Check out this website for more photos
http://gallery.oldholden.com/hr-hearse
Wayne
nsw-club
Guru

I Love my FE

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 07:59:17 AM »

Hi
I agree should go with the taxi as it would be different and not many about.As they have stated you have all the paper work to prove that it was a taxi
WAYNE
fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011, 11:03:41 AM »

Thanks guys, I agree with everything you have said and John, I agree, especially with the black paint that I don't want it too glossy as it would even look a bit funny against the white outs. I believe that because I have proof that the taxiu company was large, using independant taxi owner/drivers, it would have actually been a hire car on weekends as well. Pretty cool to think the ole FC gave enjoyment to ppl who didn't have a car for themselves.

And it was probably one of these guys (in the link below), as I know he was a career taxi driver and had nearly every model up to HD Holden along the way. I have some of these rego tickets too! This station would have been the one he was based at in adelaide, cos it was an Adelaide city licence. And I am very lucky that its the original engine to match the car given that taxis often used change over engines. Also, its from the same area my wife and I grew up.

http://www.google.com.au/imgres?imgurl=http://www.bigpondrubbish.com/204%2520Taxi%2520Neptune%2520C1958%2520copy.jpg&imgrefurl=http://bigpondrubbish.com/transport.html&usg=__kwnBVDqTBMusEd9JMgdQQC_UAOA=&h=353&w=500&sz=41&hl=en&start=180&zoom=1&tbnid=no1QlmvVNhyS0M:&tbnh=136&tbnw=184&ei=pending&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dold%2Btaxi%2Bpictures%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26cr%3DcountryAU%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26sa%3DX%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-GB:official%26channel%3Ds%26biw%3D1728%26bih%3D756%26tbs%3Disch:1,ctr:countryAU0%2C2817&um=1&itbs=1&iact=rc&dur=303&oei=T057TcXsM4eyvwOn2o2IBw&page=6&ndsp=36&ved=1t:429,r:3,s:180&tx=126&ty=92&biw=1728&bih=756

Id still like to confirm if this was the Pirie Street depot, but I think this was the other depot/station and Pirie Street Balck and White Taxi's was head office. According to the current owner of a taxi service who worked there, there was only 1 depot like this in the CBD at the time.

If anyone has any Neptune oils or Waratah petrol stickers or anything, it would be good to put this on the finished car as well, because they often had decals.

I agree that if it was used as a taxi from day 1, even if it was a different colour (I confirmed with a few ppl that Adelaide did not have the numbers in fleet to do special orders and specials were mainly used by owner drivers) then its just as authentic and more rare to bring it back to what it was, as it has the hole for radio aerial and extra things like the original pre dollar taxi meter and I have tracked down the original dollar/cents meter of a family member of this original owner guy, which proves it was still a taxi after 1966.

Everything seems easier to dismantle too, because it would have gone through a fair few gearbox rebuilds and engine removals in its time, compared to my other fe project which has never had anything done to it whatsoever.

There were a fair few combos around, in terms of where the white out bits were.

It has just under 300 000 miles, just wondering what the average city cars miles usually are. Dont think it would be its second time around the clock.

Deano

Current Rides: 1958 "Black and White Taxi" FC special Sedan, 1957 FE special Sedan, BA Futura,  2015 VF Commodore, 1956 Austin Tipper Truck
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 01:32:08 PM »

I would also go with the Taxi theme  Grin Grin no matter how good a standard car is it will not generate the interest as a themed car [Taxi Police Ambo ]  and paint it in Acrylic Lacquer   Grin Grin Grin Grin as this will reproduce the closest to a Duco factory finish and as it ages will look  better and better ......FC427......

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2011, 04:51:54 PM »

Thanks mate. I have worked out the colour scheme. Should look pretty cool.

Deano

fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2011, 05:31:03 PM »

These are the grooves Im talking about.

Deano

mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2011, 08:51:00 PM »

Yes I would say the quarter has been changed, pretty common in the sixties when the cars were new.
You should be able to find other welding evidence inside.

Ken
fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2011, 08:59:57 PM »

Its a really good panel so thats probably why. looks to be slight bent in few spots where bumper goes on too but was a pretty good repair job. it also has the later model embossing on the seats in front and rear. but i think mine is a june 58 car.

Deano

KFH
qld-club

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2011, 08:36:20 AM »

My Sept 59 has the "groves" on both rear guards identical to those shown in the photo.  There has never been any repairs to the rear guards.

Keith

I was born with nothing and still have most of it left
Ole

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2011, 12:19:22 PM »

Hi,
I have a pair of NOS rear quarter panels that both have the seam in them as shown in your photo. The quarter panels where made in 2 parts because of the complex nature of the pressing. That seam is where the 2 parts where spot welded together. They were then lead wiped to fill in the seam or left as they were if the chrome fins were going to be fitted. Also for what its worth, I think you should keep it as a taxi.
Regards Ole.

Adelaide SA
fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2011, 05:49:34 PM »

Thanks Ole. I wouldn't have asked if it werent for the fact that 1 side is perfectly rounded and the other side has the groove and the groove side has a slight repair where bumper goes on.

I'm going with 1 of 2 common black and white colour schemes of the day, the more eye catching one:

Roof, bonnet, doors and boot white and front and rear quarters black, with white wheels and the original Red Riff and black interior. I will get the sign writing the same as the stickers I already have from the company and put on the original phone numbers and ill get "Waratah Motor Spirit" magnet for the boot and proper "king neptune" signage on the quarters on each side, will do dummies first to see where placement will be, i.e either front or rear. Don't want it to be too busy but also want the branding the same as what was promoted in all the advertising of the day.

The wife and everyone is saying keep with the taxi, so considering the fact that 90 percent of my mind.... Huh(sorry my wife's mind)  Lips sealed was made up and you guys gave a full 100% taxi for the other 10% I think I have to go taxi.

Im finding it hard to believe it was a taxi. Was very well maintained. I wonder how many times around the clock its gone. Hackham is a long way from the city, was in country in those days. But doesn't mean it was garaged at the owners home I guess. I wouldn't have thought many would have been salvaged from being taxi's so I am happy with the accidental find.

Deano

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: