FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 29, 2024, 03:02:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Holden FE ute fitting a 253  (Read 34232 times)
perth_ute

View Profile
« on: May 27, 2011, 04:23:29 PM »

Well it has been along time coming... my project has just started and because I have used this forum so many times to find information on trouble areas, I thought I would join in on the project pain and gain.

Over the last 5 years I have been getting the 57 FE ute to a very reliable state so I can drive it to work every friday without any issues, i.e. no fuel because of faulty fuel gauge, no ignition because of faulty ignition module, and the list goes on.

At the moment it has 59k miles and org paint and interior. It has a red 202 with three speed synchro, hr discs and diff, 15 pursuit rims with hr centers, and lowered 2 inch all round.

The plan is to pull the red 202 out and fit a red 253 and join in on club track events. He is my story...
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 04:42:17 PM »

Hi Perth  Ute  If your serious about going around corners I am not sure you would want all the weight of a 253 over the front  Huh Huh Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes they are a much better balanced car with a 6 cylinder in the front ....FC427......

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
perth_ute

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 12:38:29 AM »

OK time for an update...

This is a couple of pics of her with a red 202 and 3 speed floor shift. I have spent most of my time on suspension and reliability.

perth_ute

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 12:49:08 AM »

and then the move into the shed.

couple of pics of the red 202

and then no more 202

FCRB26
Guru

Model: FE and FC

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 06:11:55 AM »

Sweet car seems a shame to rip the old six out

A 253 is a lot of work for little gain maybe the sound
 you could just simply build or buy a hot 6 and have it in within a couple of weeks.

Good luck she looks in good nick.

Ol_Girl_58
tas-club

getting there...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 01:42:27 PM »

Sweet car seems a shame to rip the old six out...you could just simply build or buy a hot 6 and have it in within a couple of weeks.

Too right Pete, this ute would scream with a hot triple-Webered 202 on board. Best of all, the foundations are already laid. Stick a five speed in, beef up the drive train and you're good to go. Best of all, it'll go around corners and there's less engineering hassles (when compared to a V8).

Josh

Ol_Girl_58
perth_ute

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2011, 06:36:24 PM »

I hear you about the weight but really want the sound of a v8 just a shame about the size constraints with licensing. I have had fun fitting the whiteline sway bars on the front and rear and lowering 2 inch along with pursuit 15x6 with hr centers with 205x55.

Anyway bought a 253 today with alot of great parts so will pull it down tonight and check it out. Thinking of fitting 4 speed instead of the supra box then don't need to mess with the tunnel and drive shaft.
hrpremier

Model: other Holden

Jason

Jason Fewins
View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2011, 05:15:02 PM »

What a clean looking ute.  Hope the V8 conversion goes well.  Doing a v6 conversion into mine and the site is not only full of good advice, but their is plenty of inspiration to be found also.

Wow.  The engine bay is going to be as tight a fit as your car is in your garage.  Tongue

Next time I get frustrated by my shed space, your post is there to remind me there is someone out there always more worse off.  Still Ive see car rebuilt on dirt driveways with temperary make shift tents as their only protection.

I Have A Fever ............... And The Only Prescription ............... Is More Cowbell

http://gallery.oldholden.com/hrpremier/
perth_ute

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2011, 06:39:54 PM »

i don't wont to show you my last work space... at the end of the day happy that I have somewhere to tinker and get some time to myself after a long day at work. Oh the drive way has a slight slope was a laugh rolling the old 202 down there with the crane.
perth_ute

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2011, 12:07:57 PM »

Not much progress due to the amount of issues in getting a reliable 253. The first red 253 $300 thank you very much,  was a boring dead standard engine and auto out of a HQ. Big mistake was not hearing it running as it was totally corroded and bin job. Let’s just say the crank would not turn over. I put this one down to learning as I was able to sell the auto for $250 and I kept the exhaust manifolds and downpipes.

Take two, I found a very nice red 253 with new heads, chrome rocker covers, new manifold, carb, flat tops along with receipts of all work. Cam was too big so that would have to change all for $700.  A good friend who I bug most of the time recommended a quick inspection and gasket freshen up before putting it in. Wait for it… one of the head bolt sleaves on the block valve train was snapped off. I was told that the block is a bin job again and I was not happy. I then spent the next couple of week nights due to kids and wife, stripping the engine and selling all the parts. As with the first engine I was able to make my money back.

Take three, well if history is correct I normally have problems in fours but three it is. I found a guy selling a stripped down HX panel van. Red virgin bore 253 with M20 manual for $750. Again I pulled the heads off and it looks ok except for some bad gasket ideas on the intake manifold and other places. Got the crank machined for $170 and rod/crank ACL race bearing for $110. What a pig getting the rear rope seal, took two goes and yet to really test it in the car. Gearbox looks like it was rebuild about a year ago with lightened flywheel but standard clutch. I spent $200 on gaskets and $50 on a hydraulic bell housing, so hoping my 3 speed synch hydraulic slave fits. Now I have a standard tidy red 253 with M20 which should be ok for licencing as I am hearing more and more bad stories here in WA, especially cars from other states that do not have full and I mean full engineering certificates. Sign of the times hey!

I have ordered a rear rack and pinion from V6 conversions non exchange for $700. Not sure about $250 for collapse steering column change over and $250 for engine mounts sounds a bit steep not sure about making my own. Found a guy in Perth who is fully into V6 conversions, trying to get him to help with V8 without success. I will upload some photos shortly. Next is to get the engine bay ready to make the new engine fit.

I am selling cable bell housing with fork and plastic cover if anyone is interested for $50.
I will be selling my HR steering if anyone is interested.
Has anyone had to strengthen the cross member?
FCRB26
Guru

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2011, 06:33:20 PM »

Must be a run with 253,s we bought a chassis with motor for a mates ford jailbar conversion sweet runner apparentlly well no one thought about cranking it till 6 months later siezed solid rocked it free rings are torn out of it so mark 2 is a red one seems ok .

With your conversion i think you will find WA is like NSW so chassis kit, strengthen lower control arms,, 2 speed wipers bigger brakes ,

That old 6 is sounding better everyday.. LOL

Pete

fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2011, 09:57:12 PM »

it would be cheaper to buy an iphone or ipod, download a 253 v8 app, hook it into a massive twin sub woofer sound system and im sure it would sound better than the real thing. or in pete's case, there is an app that connects to the car via the pod/phone and everytime you change gear, it does a massive popoff sound or turbo wastegate sound. u can youtube them, funny as man  Grin

Deano

Current Rides: 1958 "Black and White Taxi" FC special Sedan, 1957 FE special Sedan, BA Futura,  2015 VF Commodore, 1956 Austin Tipper Truck
perth_ute

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2011, 02:23:31 PM »

no thanks
FCRB26
Guru

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2011, 06:50:30 PM »

So we will see a fc taxi floating around going woooooooosh might need a cannon on it too.....

Have you tracked down a decent 253 yet???

Pete

fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2011, 08:34:24 PM »

Isn't that an oxymoron ha ha. I still have a soft spot for the Lexus aluminium v8. sucks hey how its getting strict. My engineer is woosing out big time

Deano

Current Rides: 1958 "Black and White Taxi" FC special Sedan, 1957 FE special Sedan, BA Futura,  2015 VF Commodore, 1956 Austin Tipper Truck
perth_ute

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2011, 11:11:43 AM »

Sorry bad day syndrome... Yes have finished the 253 and 4 speed M20, will post some pics shortly. Wife and kids have been keeping me busy so not much progress. Found a guy in Perth that is doing V6 conversions strange enough, yes in Perth! going to see him this week and try and confince him to help speed up my conversion.
FCRB26
Guru

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2011, 11:34:17 AM »

car shows and other projects allways give you a bit of a boost

I have blokes at work doing rods so i am getting the bug just need them shed builders to hurry up and finish.

fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2011, 07:25:17 PM »

Good to see another v8 going in. Keep up good work. I look forward to pics. I'm a bit lost knowing  what to do. I have the hilux chassis with a v6 already in it. Maybe I could adapt a golden body to it.

Deano

GMVAN

GGGGRRRRRRRRRR cof cof

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2011, 05:03:14 PM »

Deano its been done before so why not go for it !!!!!!    Smiley    Grubby

:(If at first you don't suceed give up & have a beer;)
FCV08

FE FC Club of QLD

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2011, 09:15:44 PM »

Perth_ute

Good to see another having a crack at the V8.

I am fitting a 304 Injected. Slow and steady Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Cry Grin
Keep the updates coming.

Cheers

Craig D
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: