FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
June 26, 2024, 10:14:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: My first old Holden 59 FC 225  (Read 26698 times)
Paul In Ireland
Guru

Model: FE and FC

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2011, 12:39:12 AM »

Sounds good. Are you thinking of buying another in better nick off a forum member and selling this one then? You're nearly there with this one!  Grin

The International FE FC Fleet of Ireland
Education is where you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't.
Oggz

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2011, 02:26:03 PM »

Sounds good. Are you thinking of buying another in better nick off a forum member and selling this one then? You're nearly there with this one!  Grin

Hmm not sure about the better nick part but its a wagon and what I am really after, but I am not rushing into anything
Oggz

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2011, 03:08:59 PM »

Anyway, I haven't put an update in for a while and a fair bit has happened since the last one.

before and after shots of the drivers door of my 1st go at panel repairs, turned out alright I think and enough for the road worthy.

Had to take the seats out to get the carpet out to get the side rail welded...anyway once the carpets were out I see more unknown history on the car. Looks like new front floor plans have been welded in at some stage, with the old ones left in there! and when they chassis blacked the "repairs" they only did the front half so the rear half was covered in surface rust! So, hit all that with a scratch pad and painted on some rust converter/primer ready for some fresh chassis black.

got dust?

Didn't get any pics of my work on the rear suspension but replaced all the rubbers. Spring, shackle, and shock. When I took the shocks out they were covered in I think 50 years of dirt and crap. They came up nice after some time the in sand blaster. More 3M rust converter/primer and some satin black they look a treat! I think the old original shocks must be amazing things if they are still good after so many years!

So took it to the mechanics last week Wednesday thanks to my friend who lent me a trade plate to drive on and I had registration on Thursday morning! whooo! I am soo happy its not funny.

Been doing some miles in her since then but as with old cars that have sat for a long time, it appeared to run really nice but the more I drove here the worse it got. Last night on the way home from work @ 1am she conked out and wouldn't start. Took the RACQ man a while but we found the fuel pump bowl was so full of crap it wasnt funny. He managed to get her running for a bit and it got me closer to home. But alas I still had to push her the last 1km.

So today I am blowing fuel lines out, emptying the tank and trying to fit a filter somewhere. I spent 2-3 hrs running around to different shops and places looking for fittings to left me put it just before the pump but could not find the right fittings anywhere. I then decided would have to cut the hard line between pump and carb and put it there. I undo the fitting at the carb and start wiggling the pipe out, next second I am holding a 300mm section of pipe in my hand and going WTF! take a closer look and this is what I found.

obviously after I also took off the other half. The hard line was joined just behind the thermo with a small piece of fuel tubing! no clamps, no glue, no nothing, the pipe was just sitting there held in place by the fitting at the carby! I am amazed it never leaked the rubber looked seriously old!

Now I think I need to rebuild the carby, I get the feeling its so full of crap now...
jack_fc

Model: FC

SouthWest Coast, Victoria

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2011, 03:41:40 PM »

Hey Oggz,

if you haven't already done it, maybe you should 'start at the start' with your fuel blockage probs - clean out and check the tank; then work your way forward to the carb...

Great to see you're still having fun despite a few 'teething probs'  Smiley Smiley (hope you had some help on that last km home!)

cheers, jack

"when I was a young lout, it was all about sex, drugs, rock'n'roll, beer and hot Holdens. Now I'm an old lout, but I've still got the old Holdens and beer..."
Oggz

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2011, 07:10:00 PM »

Great to see you're still having fun despite a few 'teething probs'  Smiley Smiley (hope you had some help on that last km home!)

Yep still having fun Smiley but alas no help on the last km home, it was about 1:30am at the time and not a soul in sight(was more like 500m but 1km sounds better haha!)
GMVAN

GGGGRRRRRRRRRR cof cof

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2011, 04:18:46 AM »

Think I know what your problem is your front end needs an alignment, looks like too much (TOE IN).... Grin

:(If at first you don't suceed give up & have a beer;)
Oggz

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2011, 09:44:52 PM »

Think I know what your problem is your front end needs an alignment, looks like too much (TOE IN).... Grin

LOL dude my missus may the same comment before she knew it was my post, "WTF, whos are those toes, they look huge"
Oggz

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2011, 11:25:40 AM »

Well, this car is certainly causing highs and lows.

Stripped the carby down and cleaned it all, put a kit through it and she all went back together nicley, started easy enough, ran easy enough but I still had a nasty stutter at higher revs and when I planted my foot.

You can see the layer of crap in the bottom of the bowl

So, I figure my next issue was probably electrical and I decided to pull the dizy and clean that down too. Fresh points, a nice clean up and lube. The man at cheapa auto's didn't have a condenser for me but we think we found the right part number (bosch GB551 listed for a merc?) and he is going to track down a new one for me next week. Cap and rotor look fine so am keeping those.

So, a while back I noticed a bit of soot at the exhaust port at 2,3 and decided to pull the manifold for a fresh gasket too. The old gasket was pretty rusted and had also caused some minor pitting on the manifold but I didn't think it was that bad.

this is what I saw when I pulled the manifold, I see a new head gasket in the near future, possible before I even drive it again Sad

Dizy went back in, I brought a new coil as well, I know the 50 year old one is probably still good, but I think maybe not performing as well, so a new one went in. Turned it over and no spark, looked like I was too gear tooth out when it went back in. While cranking and getting no spark I noticed the new coil was getting very warm, just while cranking so it came out, old one back in.

Got her running but what a racket! looks like the only thing sealing the manifold before was the swollen rust of the old gasket. this is what I found when I got the manifold back to the bench.

The outer two flanges are level with the inlet flanges, but the inner two!!! that's a 2mm gap!! and yes that missing bold on the right sheared straight off.

I was planning to pull the manifolds apart, leave them loose then tighten them back together after I had the flanges all tightened up on the head hoping this would let the two inner exhaust ports tighten up. Now, who knows WTF I am going to do, don't really have the tools to get the broken bolt out, or even all 4 if they all break off...this just might be the call to buy some headers when money permits.

Bloody hell all I want to do is drive the damn thing!

Might leave this for a bit and move on to getting the doors back to white.
GMVAN

GGGGRRRRRRRRRR cof cof

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2011, 06:52:21 PM »

Oggs, If you are going to all the trouble of doing a head gasket you might as well get the valves relapped and a thin skim off the face of the head to make sure it is flat before you put it back together otherwise you will be taking it apart later on down the track to do it all again $$$$$$ Angry

:(If at first you don't suceed give up & have a beer;)
Oggz

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2011, 03:00:23 PM »

Haven't put anything up for a while, well because I haven't really done anything to the car in a while. Money got tight up until the missus went back to work after a year on maternity leave.

But tax check came in so I splashed out and ordered a pertronix kit.

Took about 30mins to install, then about 2hrs to sort out the timing issues I had. It appears the dizzy has been out a tooth since I got it, couldn't get anymore advance, the vacuum pot was hitting the block, so had to move it back a tooth and reline the dizzy up.

Butt dyno says its running alot smoother and revving harder. 1st cold start this morning I didnt bother with any choke and it idled fine without using the go peddle.

All up a very easy conversion and worth it to not have to change points every 1500miles
Old_Mt_Isa_Boy
qld-club

My Ute

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2011, 06:13:34 PM »

Some progress is better than none. How did you go with the problems with the head?

Regards

Wayne b
Oggz

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2011, 10:24:55 PM »

Didn't touch the head, so far the leak hasn't got worse, almost seems to have stopped, so in my books, if its not broken, don't fix it.

It may just be me burying my head in the sand be cause the thought of pulling the head off is still too scary, but I have started looking around for someone to rebuild a head for me. So far prices range from $600ish for a stock head to $1000 for a head with over sized valves, hardened seats and some porting.

Thinking back, I did have some fun with spark plugs about 4 months, I should do a right up on what I found because the BP5's listed for a grey motor in every book i could find where too short for the thread in my motor...
Old_Mt_Isa_Boy
qld-club

My Ute

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2011, 06:56:49 AM »

http://fefcholden.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,17007.new.html

Here is a post on Spark Plugs. Its a good read.

Regards

Wayne b
Oggz

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2011, 08:19:58 PM »

Well some more stuff got done today, bit of a mission and my poor family didn't see much of me today.

That was the end result i guess. One stuffed front engine mount, one completely rooted mount and one spare side mount in case of emergency.

What I was trying to do was actually rebuilt the clutch slave, but to get that out you gotta undo the drivers engine mount, so I figure I would replace them while I was at it. They were looking pretty old and I had no idea what the front one was like, but the amount of movement in the motor I figured something wasnt right. also figured while I was under there I would replace all the sway bar bushings too.

In the process of unbolting everything to get and the front mount (my car still has those two trays below the front of the motor so the front bumper come off for a look see too) I managed to snap the head of one of the sway bar bush mount bolts and one of the hex head screws that hold the trays in place. Not happy, I had left my tools at work so I could not drill them out.

Ah well, will just have to drive to work tomorrow without the front sway bar! haha the test drive around the block wasnt pleasant, that little bar does alot of work!

I am going to try and get those two trays back on at some stage, I figure they act similar to a radiator cowl and kinda force air through the radiator instead of under it and into the engine bay.
Oggz

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2012, 02:31:46 PM »

Well, been a while since any reportable progress, but this old girl is now for sale!

I will post up a thread in the For Sale section tonight

Cheers!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: