FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
June 05, 2024, 11:48:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Help Please: Leaf spring front shackle bolt removal  (Read 3484 times)
amys

Model: FC

View Profile
« on: March 12, 2011, 09:38:01 PM »

Hi,
I am querying how to remove to the front shackle bush bolt on the leaf springs. It appears to have a screw head on the inside of the support bracket and I'm not sure if this needs to be undone to remove the bolt so that I can change the front shackle bush. Is this threaded in like a screw or can I just knock the bolt through?
Thanks for any help Smiley
Old_Mt_Isa_Boy
qld-club

My Ute

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 09:51:33 PM »

Here's what they look like after removal. They need some encouragement. It is also highly unlikely you will be able to reuse any of the old bolts or hangers. Went through this a couple of weeks ago, Regards Wayne B

Hope the image helps.
EffCee
Guru

F4+

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 10:18:31 PM »

Hi,
I am querying how to remove to the front shackle bush bolt on the leaf springs. It appears to have a screw head on the inside of the support bracket and I'm not sure if this needs to be undone to remove the bolt so that I can change the front shackle bush. Is this threaded in like a screw or can I just knock the bolt through?
Thanks for any help Smiley

The front Shackle bush bolt merely sits into a taper and can be stubborn to remove at times. Sometimes hitting the screw head of the bolt will "jar" it which will help loosen the bolt. Other than that a bit of brute force is required. When hitting the bolt, try and use a copper or lead face hammer, which is quite soft, these are also fairly heavy which helps. Also hold a hammer of 3-4lb just below the screw bolt whch will assist in loosening them. Using this method I have never damaged a shackle frame. Ken (mcl1959) suggested  a few weeks ago on Mt Isa Boy's car that using a heavy bar about two feet long will assist, as the extra weight of the bar helps in trying to dislodge the stubborn bolts.

Keith

Canberra, ACT

F4+ Wink
amys

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 04:19:07 PM »

Thanks guys, with a bit of force hubby got them out Smiley
fe350chev
Guru

Model: FE and FC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2011, 08:45:59 PM »

As Keith said, this is also sometimes helpful when getting out stubborn larger skrews  Roll Eyes, ie hitting them with same type of hammer with appropriate screwdriver before trying to screw it out, it can help with the door and body ones, to break the dust/paint and makes for a shock to dislodge crap in the thread.

Another good thing is to do this say the night before attacking a section then spray fair amount of crc or something then wait for a day or so. planning ahead is good with a strip down  Embarrassed

Also heating up bolts such as in non vital areas or things u know your gunna replace too. But there are various opinions on heating up anything to do with suspension. Personally i cant see how heating up a small area on a leaf spring is gunna affect things too much but an engineer would say something id think  Roll Eyes

Deano

Current Rides: 1958 "Black and White Taxi" FC special Sedan, 1957 FE special Sedan, BA Futura,  2015 VF Commodore, 1956 Austin Tipper Truck
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: