FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:41:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Latest Family addition  (Read 38483 times)
zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2011, 04:15:02 PM »

I think you might need 2 tickets to park that at Eastern Creek John  Shocked verrry nice by the way, hope you can make it, look forward to seeing it

Regards, Gary
ridgey_didge
act-club

Model: FE

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2011, 09:42:12 PM »

John - I saw you on the M7 as I headed home in the opposite direction.  I hope to get a proper look some time, but you looked mighty fine on the road!

Cheers
David

Johns

Model: something else...

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2011, 12:38:24 PM »

Thanks David.

Here she is next to an older and (only slightly) larger cousin.

It was a great day yesterday, weather was fantastic after Saturday. I didn't get around to saying hello to everyone as planned, the FE/FCs looked fantastic.

Gary, that's twice recently that I've seen your brother's Packard, next I'd like to meet your brother Grin

Cheers
John

Now that I've got the beige with the grey, I'm looking for the cream, the bone, the ivory and the off white
HAD 708

Holdens and the Mighty Woodsmen truly magnificent

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2011, 05:10:26 PM »

Very nice John, very grand! What was it like to drive?
Brett

Brett Gillard
Johns

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2011, 09:09:28 PM »
+1

Contrary to the great myth of incompetent American cars, she drives very well. Heavy and ponderous at low speed as you would expect but if you press on she drives very well and is quite able to deal with modern traffic. No lack of torque and a four speed Hydramatic, but only the top three are used in normal driving and excellent brakes. Because there's no steering power assist she's easy to place on the road, although you're always conscious of over two tons of car. Good high driving position, comfortable seat, a really good cruiser. I would argue that what really ruins American cars of the mid 50s to early 70s is the attrociously light power steering, fix this and the cars are quite competent.

The great thing is being able to look in the windows of large 4wds as you travel along.

Regards
John

Now that I've got the beige with the grey, I'm looking for the cream, the bone, the ivory and the off white
Johns

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2012, 10:13:08 PM »

Sadly no Holdens in the garage at present, however I have been active in tidying up "Bess" my 1948 Cadillac Fleetwood 60 Special. These were expensive and not common. The wheelbase at 133 inches was seven inches longer than the Series 61 and 62s and the car is 19' long and weighs about 2200 kgs. To my knowledge there are two in Australia. Mine is a fairly early car, number 945 of 6,561 made, failrly low production for a US Car. Sir Robert Menzies had a '49 model as his official car so there is an Australian connection.

In late December we set about rectifying paint damage to the lower doors caused by brake fluid leakage from the "Hydra Lectric" windows. This comprises windows (and the front seat) that are electrically actuated but operated by a hydraulic pump on the firewall that originally used brake fluid for the window cylinders. Needless to say when they leaked or failed (which they often did) the brake fluid ruined the paint and rubbers on the lower doors. Over Christmas last year we spent three weeks stripping all of the lower half paint and repairing some rear dog leg and lower front guard rust. The biggest job, though was rust around the front fog lights that had been apallingly repaired. Here's what we found.Note the filler in the first two photos.

Heres what we did;

Here's how it looked

And here how she looks now

Not much apparent change and some mechanical stuff to be done. Apologies for it being non Holden, but she is in the family - you can see the FX/FJ in her.

John

graham_fuller
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2012, 11:16:46 PM »

Top job John. The car looks great. Who did the work?
Cheers,
Graham
HAD 708

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2012, 12:01:14 AM »

John
Nice to have you back on the forum i feared we had lost you!! You are a great purveyor of quality cars and this thread is no exception! Is the Cadillac a Dark Grey or a light Black?
Thanks
Brett

Brett Gillard
Johns

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2012, 04:18:57 PM »

Thanks Guys, a bloke who restored one of my Alfas some years ago Graham.

Brett, the Caddy is actually dark green.

I just bought this one, its on its way from Oregon. Its a 1947 Chrysler Windsor Highlander and yes that plaid interior is correct and mostly original.

https://picasaweb.google.com/pagoda113/1947ChryslerWindsor?authkey=Gv1sRgCOKC8MDSh9np6AE#

Regards
John

ridgey_didge
act-club

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2012, 05:04:03 PM »

Wow - that is fabulous.  What is its history?

David

zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2012, 05:36:22 PM »

Looks like another worthy addition is on it's way to your stable John

The Caddy looks good, although I thought it looked impressive before he work

Have you changed the hydraulic fluid in the windows to a more paint friendly type?

Regards, Gary
Johns

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2012, 09:15:14 PM »

Firstly, I hope the forum doesn't mind me roaming off topic with this stuff, I'm happy to desist if it's a problem.

David, it's a one family owned car first purchased by a Doctor in California who owned it until 1982, then it was passed to a nephew in Ilinois who worked for a Chrysler dealer and who sympathetically maintained it until now.

About half the paint and most of the interior is original. it has the Fluid Drive gearbox which is a cross between a manual and automatic - only more complicated. The gearbox is four speed but you can drive it as a conventional auto or as a manual without using the clutch much. I don't properly understand it myself yet but I will need to learn it. The car has just over 100,000 miles recorded and the engine and gearbox have been rebuilt.

Gary, the Caddy looks much better now and rather than the original brake fluid the hydraulic system now runs ATF which won't hurt the paint. It drives really well and is a lot of fun.

I look forward to catching up with you guys next Sunday.

Regards
John

HAD 708

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2012, 10:23:18 AM »

John
fantastic as always and dont dare stop taking about your vehicle stable as it is always a thrill to catch up with the latest! What are the red bracket things on the front floor? Looks a great old girl!
congratulations
Brett

Brett Gillard
ridgey_didge
act-club

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2012, 10:33:07 AM »

John,

I am glad Brett asked about the red bracket things, because that had me puzzling as well.

Have you seen/driven her or is this a long distance love affair?

Cheers
David

weddo
tas-club

Model: FC

HIS, HER's & OUR's

billnjudiwedd@gmail.com
View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2012, 12:33:20 PM »

Just looks like carpet binding to me.. and a red handbrake handle.

regards

Weddo
JB
Guru

Jason Blanchard
View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2012, 01:59:07 PM »

Hey Johns,

There is a specific area created just for you!! You are free to add all of your photos and any information there... we would love to see them and hear all about them.

Cheers JB

Phone +64 223509263
deno

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2017, 07:23:34 AM »

Nice car there John,
I sold you the FE a few years ago from Glossodia, just wondering by any chance would you be interested in selling it back as I missed it as it drove ou the driveway.
Cheers Dennis
RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2017, 11:30:27 AM »

Hey Deno,

Bad news I'm afraid.

John had two FE Special Sedans, one 2T Blue, the other Tan over Cream, and both have moved on again. I know where the latter one is (it's actually owned by a bloke called Dennis, as it happens), but the whereabouts of the other I don't know exactly. I have an idea it was sold to a collector in WA, but couldn't swear to it.

We haven't seen John on the forum here for years.

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
deno

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2017, 07:58:13 PM »

Thankyou so very much, yes it was the 2T Blue that I should have never had sold.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: