FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 30, 2024, 09:25:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: hr axles  (Read 4106 times)
tdh

Model: FC

View Profile
« on: December 31, 2010, 08:34:33 AM »

hi guys i am new to rebuilding my beloved FC i have already put in the HR front discs for my warmed up 179 and was told i had to put in rear HR axle and being in QLD IS THIS TRUE  and where can i get  a copy of the specificatons from.

happy new year

pete
DN2168
nsw-club

See you on the road Skag!!

dean.nommensen
View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2010, 10:00:09 AM »

Hi Pete,
 A Quote from Dr terry;

"Hi Guys

Just to clarify that, FE to FB have a square bolt patterned rear axle bearing retainer plate & EJ to HR have the pattern where the two top bolts are further apart  than the lower two.

When converting to front disc brakes it's alway better to change the rear end to the EJ to HR type & then you have the later duo-servo type brakes & can fit the 9/16" wheels cylinders & matching shoes.

There are minor differences between the EJ/EH rear end & the HD/HR item. The main ones are in the leaf spring mounting & the use of self-adjusters on HD/HR.

Regards.

Dr Terry."

Hope this helps.

Dean.
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2010, 10:54:15 AM »

Pete, what you have been told is right in a round about way, what you in fact need is the correct sized rear wheel cylinder to suit the discs at the front (for front to rear brake balance). Now, there is no such cylinder to suit an FC rear end, so the easiest solution is to bolt in a HR (or equivalent) rear end which can then be fitted with the correct cylinders.

Ken
tdh

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2011, 05:11:36 PM »

thanks guys

have a great new year

pete
ehsv6

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 08:26:15 PM »

Has anyone tried having the rear cylinders sleeved to the desired size. Imagine this would be easier than changing the whole rear end.
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 09:02:58 PM »

Yes it is possible, but I've never heard of anyone doing it. The rear brakes shoe area is larger on a HR so the size needs to be recalculated to suit the FC linings. Also on the same note, HR brakes are better because of their greater area and floating adjuster at the bottom of the linings.

Ken
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011, 09:03:06 PM »

You could always just fit a proportioning valve in the rear line to get correct brake bias  ........FC427.......

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: