FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 29, 2024, 10:18:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: heavy steering  (Read 4945 times)
postman_warren

View Profile
« on: October 05, 2010, 07:24:30 PM »

hello  changed  king pins /s box  steering rod  car steers okay on road however the stering heavy when parking and starting used rare spares parts thanks warren Smiley
jasonr70002

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 07:55:17 PM »

Theres your mistake, Using rare spares gear. I bought a heap of rares gear nad had to modify every single item to fit my cars. Floor pans only barely resemble the originals and had to be bashed into place to fit, Rear spring rubber kits had to be trimmed to fit the springs due to being too wide and too big so my honest opinion after my experiences with their gear is to shop elsewhere it may cost more but at least it works.

Golden Holdens FE-FC
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 08:17:23 PM »

shop elsewhere it may cost more but at least it works.

Please enlighten us as to where these magical stores are, did you pass feedback to Rares after your experience?

jasonr70002

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 08:27:57 PM »

Yes I did pass feedback to rares and had ZERO replies on all 4 occasions I was dumb enough to purchase the stuff I even rang them and they said they would call back and still nothing so not only are thier gear well well well below par they have poor customer service as well to add the cherry to the crap cake they give. It is completely my own fault for not listening to others warning me against buying their gear so my apologies to rares and I accept all responsibility.

Golden Holdens FE-FC
EffCee
Guru

F4+

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 11:20:48 AM »
+2

hello  changed  king pins /s box  steering rod  car steers okay on road however the stering heavy when parking and starting used rare spares parts thanks warren Smiley

Warren,

Several things that come into  effect here with the fitment of new kingpins. The first and most important is the need for a wheel alignment after the kingpins have been fitted. Removing and replacing the stub axles from the upper and lower outer pivot bushes will affect the caster and camber. This will need to be rectified.

Another thing to check with heavy steering, disconnect the tie rod end from the stub axle and see if it kingpin turns smoothly with no binding. It should just take a gentle push (1 finger) to turn it from side to side, make sure you check both sides. If the kingpins turn freely try and turn the steering wheel to see if it is still heavy. If so, it may be that the idler arm is binding or seized. Disconnect the the pitman arm from the steering box and check again. If the steeering is still heavy the fault lies within the steering box.

So in order, I would check that the kingpins are able to turn easily, while the car is jacked up I would also check the steering. if all seems good, I would have the car wheel aligned as this is the most likely cause of your problems

Keith

Canberra, ACT

F4+ Wink
les

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 04:35:29 PM »
+2

Yes I did pass feedback to rares and had ZERO replies on all 4 occasions I was dumb enough to purchase the stuff I even rang them and they said they would call back and still nothing so not only are thier gear well well well below par they have poor customer service as well to add the cherry to the crap cake they give. It is completely my own fault for not listening to others warning me against buying their gear so my apologies to rares and I accept all responsibility.

I am very interested in where you sent your feedback or who you contacted, we make it a priority to answer feedback wether good or bad. As for the problems you mention I have fitted FC floor pans and had no problems considering that the original floor has been in place for over 50 years and would have taken some punishment and would not be the same shape as when it was new. As for the shackle rubbers they are made larger than the spring and have to be compressed, if you cut them down then they will not function as they should. 
Les
Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2010, 08:19:41 AM »

I had my local tyre place adjust the castor properly on my HR front end fitted car and it steered superbly afterwards.. the difference was like night and day.  I haven't much experience with a std front end but I assume the same geometry adjustments could be made???

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
jasonr70002

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2010, 02:37:04 PM »

Les,
I posted the feedback via email on all occasions, If you had a floor pan that fitted then can the same ones be forwarded to Toowoomba as the ones I received, and I bought all 4, had only a minor resemblance to the originals and measuring up all the folds in both the rares and the original the swage lines were up to 5mm more shallow in the rares ones as compared to the original. I also thought that possibly it was my car but I have 3 FE's and the pans were way way out in all 3 cars so possibly it is the pans or all 3 of the cars I own are bent in exactly the same place and all the swage lines have been made deeper on all of them as well  Huh.
 I then after no feedback from rares rang the particular shop I ordered them through and was informed that it is just how they are and to pull out the panel hammers to make them fit or wait for NOS ones to turn up on ebay etc.
 So I am sorry if my comments are not nice but neither is the treatment I received from rare spares and the days of them being the only ones you can buy car gear from is long long gone .   As I said before I have given up waiting for a phone call or a simple email and I bought the pans over 6 months ago and I now just wait for NOS or buy repair panels from rares competitors being Retro rods and Craig Vayne whose panels not only fit much much better ie no panel hammering but are also a lot cheaper and in some cases half the price.   So until Rares picks its act way way way up and reduces it's prices to in some way compete then I and if you read all posts in this forum over the last couple of years many others will shop elsewhere.

Cheers Jason

Golden Holdens FE-FC
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: