FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 25, 2024, 11:26:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: StreetTrim Shop Truck  (Read 60974 times)
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2010, 08:26:23 AM »

Mark; you're right - it's naughty, but sometimes the only viable solution....

a (well-deserved!) lecture from FC427 re the evils of wheel spacers...  Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed

(seriously though, Mark; aside from spacers being illegal, I would really appreciate and value your opinion on the possible  consequences of using them, and what sort of driving may induce or hasten these problems, and what steps, if any, those of us who choose to use them may take to minimise any problems...  I'm using best quality new studs with plenty of thread available for the nuts after the spacers are fitted; other than taking the spacers off, are there any other precautions I could be taking?)

Jack no lecture I'm not the wheel spacer police   Craig is correct XU1 used spacers  about 2.5mm thick I think  ; I have had the wheel studs brake on a couple of my cars my FC included from using wheel spacers, if you have to use them turn up a set that fit properley [not the  universal shity ones]  the same as the mounting face of the mag you are using and glue them with together  once nice and clean with a hi temp Anaerobic Adhesive such as ThreeBond 1375B so at least it's not a floater spacer and always run hub centric wheels but as for me I will never overload my studs again with wheel spacers .....FC427.....

« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 09:21:55 AM by stinky » Logged

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
jack_fc

SouthWest Coast, Victoria

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2010, 10:09:37 AM »

Thanks Mark; good info... do you think that running wheels with big offsets and/or spacers may impact on wheelbearing life?

cheers, jack

(sorry Stinky for butting in on your thread...  Embarrassed)

"when I was a young lout, it was all about sex, drugs, rock'n'roll, beer and hot Holdens. Now I'm an old lout, but I've still got the old Holdens and beer..."
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2010, 07:59:22 PM »

As Mark has inferred, the major problem with spacers is that the wheel no longer locates on the axle or hub along with the fact that some punters do not change to longer studs when fitting spacers. You may remember also that some mag nuts are designed to lock against the axle or hub as well.
Now, that said, not all wheels have the same problems and not all mag nuts have issues. Rather than list a whole lot of different scenarios of what can and can't work, it is easier just to make spacers illegal. Tongue

Ken
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2010, 10:24:26 PM »

Front seat mods.

Early 1990s(?) Tarago far rear seat adjustment mechanisms, the initial plan was to cut the FC seat and weld brackets to mount these to.

Plans changed  Grin this is the bare frame from the Tarago seat, after some more measuring the dimensions were close enough to incorporate some of the Tarago seat frames.

Closer inspection of some the seat springs and experience from the FE Sedan had me leaning towards a more modern foam base.
Restorers look away now  Tongue I removed the bottom spring set from the frame.

One thing led to another and I chopped the back off the frame, why not have an updated backrest to go with the base.

Assembled Tarago seat frame placed on the butchered FC seat base. Whilst the base comes up short the back rest is close to the original height of an FC backrest. A commondoor rear seat base (in the background) is currently being eyed for the bottom seat foam at the moment.

Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2010, 08:12:32 AM »

Nice,neat mod Stinky.
 Shocked Smiley

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
FCRB26
Guru

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2010, 10:10:35 AM »

The only downside would be 2 people to change it or can you reach.

Or do i have no idea what im jibbering on about.

Guru

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2010, 11:28:54 AM »

There is a rod that runs through the rear frame rail that activates the opposite side, One man operation  Grin

FCRB26
Guru

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2010, 06:24:09 PM »

I just thought it might kill the moment with a lady friend  OI just pull that lever would you.

Nice work looking good.
No cars for a while for me we have bought a new house so have to pack projects into containers but there is a upside i get a new shed fully decked out.

Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 29, 2010, 08:12:14 AM »

Stinky,

what's the best way to "lower" a FB seat. I was thinking of just using cable ties to pull the std springs down.

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
Guru

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 29, 2010, 09:03:40 AM »

what's the best way to "lower" a FB seat. I was thinking of just using cable ties to pull the std springs down.

Chop the springs  Tongue but seriously, there are 4 coil springs at the sides then there are the rows of "zig-zag" springs holding up the front of the seat. The coil springs could be tied down, but the "zig-zag" springs should be able to be bent to a lower position.

Guru

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 10, 2010, 11:37:13 PM »

Put a solid day in today (plus a couple hours yesterday) to get the wiring sorted, two steps forward and one back in most cases. Got the dash in and the car running, then went to run it around the back paddock to get it up to temp and see if the Thermo fan switch works, backed it out of my garage-on-high and clipped the retaining wall in the squeeze  Roll Eyes

CRACK!

Psssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

Angry Angry Angry Angry

Then I drove back in the shed  Cry
Ripped a nice big hole in the side wall of the 245 wide Yoki, I'm sure it can't be repaired and finding another might be a bit of task. Some days I wish I had taken Golf more seriously  Tongue

JB
Guru

Jason Blanchard
View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 11, 2010, 01:13:22 PM »

Ouch that really sucks!! Can't fix sidewalls... hope you can get another one.  Cry

Good to see a couple of posts here, been missing no updates on the projects sections!

Cheers
JB

Phone +64 223509263
Guru

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 25, 2010, 11:44:55 AM »

A few more wins!
- Pinched the sway bar out of my son's "EK Wagon Project"  Grin this allows me to run an engine fan, otherwise the fan would foul on the sway bar that was fitted.
- Cleaned up the water pump and thermostat housing, new gaskets and a new thermostat.
- Pinched the known good temp guage and sender from the FC Wagon.
- Modified the top radiator support (after cutting it out  Roll Eyes ) so that the radiator can now sit vertical instead of a slant.
- New Petrol tank sender and fuel guage lettering.
- Replaced the rear wheels  Roll Eyes need to find something for the front that'll match now.

Once the radiator and cooling system are buttoned up it's the gearbox. I think I have spotted the problem with 4th being 2nd, in the picture of Alex's gearbox below the linkages are both attached in upper positions on the gearbox, I have one up and one down  Huh

Guru

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 26, 2010, 08:23:57 PM »

What do you do when the handbrake cable fouls the exhaust?

Squash it until it doesn't  Roll Eyes

Arse end is now a little closer to terra firma  Grin

Much better, if I can get the correct profile tyre I'll put these on the front and run the larger wheels on the rear.

jack_fc

SouthWest Coast, Victoria

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 26, 2010, 08:38:12 PM »

All good, Stinky  Smiley

BTW, that shed is looking a little cluttered - maybe you should consider expanding it a bit?

"when I was a young lout, it was all about sex, drugs, rock'n'roll, beer and hot Holdens. Now I'm an old lout, but I've still got the old Holdens and beer..."
Guru

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 26, 2010, 10:34:39 PM »

BTW, that shed is looking a little cluttered - maybe you should consider expanding it a bit?

That's only one half, you should see the other side  Roll Eyes

Guru

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 14, 2010, 06:38:47 PM »

90% of the way through the customFC shifter mod, using a Speco Twin-Stick shifter. Forward gears are sorted, reverse not so much  Undecided the new position of the shifter up on the box means the separate reverse shifter is directly over the reverse thingy. I can get it to shift reverse but the lock-out wont work properly  Cry More work  Roll Eyes or the lock-out is getting turfed.

EffCee
Guru

F4+

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 15, 2010, 10:42:30 AM »

90% of the way through the customFC shifter mod, using a Speco Twin-Stick shifter. Forward gears are sorted, reverse not so much  Undecided the new position of the shifter up on the box means the separate reverse shifter is directly over the reverse thingy. I can get it to shift reverse but the lock-out wont work properly  Cry More work  Roll Eyes or the lock-out is getting turfed.

I am doing the same, using a Speco Twin Stick shifter and having it forward mounted to clear the seat. The way that I want to put the reverse linkages is to have a pivot point at the rear where the shifter originally mounted to ensure that I was able to run the shifter correctly and still use the lockout. HTH

Keith

Canberra, ACT

F4+ Wink
Guru

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 17, 2010, 12:30:00 PM »

Thanks Keith, that's set the cogs turning again (pardon the pun  Tongue )

A game of pool anyone? The 8-ball is a aftermarket item that I had lying around and the 11 is from a bloke on the FB-EK forum who sacrificed a set of pool-balls.

Guru

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 17, 2010, 02:40:10 PM »

Hmmm, even though the interior will be red and black, I might do a green felt/velour shifter boot  Shocked

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: