FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 27, 2024, 04:50:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: StreetTrim Shop Truck  (Read 60989 times)
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« on: August 10, 2010, 11:14:54 AM »

I bought a van (one back to SA thank you very much  Grin )
But what a friggin debacle that was.
Sun 4pm Truckie calls to arrange to meet at 3:30AM!
Sun 11pm get to bed after thrashing out a copy of the SMASA Club Newsletter all day.
Mon 2AM Truckie calls to say he is early (Yay)
Mon 3AM Get to drop off point, at least three other suckers had to meet this guy, the van is off the truck and revving at the side of the road, then starts spraying steam everywhere before I shut it down. Truckie sorts out other drivers then agrees to take the Pano 5 mins down the road to the nearest 24hour servo. Dropped off, stripped out of most loose parts and locked up, I went home at 4AM for a little sleep.
8:30AM Called the car carrier and asked to speak to the boss, left message.
9AM called the Towie that I had left a message for Sunday arvo and texted at 8:30am, too busy, so I get one of his mates who can do it at midday, 11:30am the towie can't make it until 2PM at least. After a couple of hours work in the garage the Towies left a message at 1pm saying he'll be there at 1:30pm (takes us at least 40 mins to get there), when we arrive after an ATM stop we find he managed to get it on the Tow Truck anyway without the keys  Roll Eyes
My eldest son wants to start on it straight away, I'm fairly keen myself  Tongue

Thanks to Dave Mc (vmx-mxr) http://fefcholden.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,17470.0.html for all the help in getting it over and most of all the honest appraisal of the car over the phone. The car is in great condition (apart from the wiring) and should be in service within weeks.
I have a Gasresearch carb on stand-by, as luck would have it is was powder coated red  Grin and there is an LPG "scuba" tank on it's way from Melbourne.

BTW, does anyone have any tips for a dummy trying to tune a 350 Holley carb?

pedro
qld-club
Guru

Model: FC

If you haven't grown up by 50, you don't have to.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 11:41:12 AM »

On both sides of the carb you will find a small screw, grab a small screwdriver start the car, turn one of the screws in until the engine starts to slow/run rough turn it back out till it runs smooth, keep turning until out it runs crappy again then back in to the smoothest spot, repeat with the other screw then go back to the first one and do it again until both sides are in the optimal position(usually about 1 1/2 turns out), too easy, the main thing is to listen carefully to the engine and find the sweet spot, you may have to re ajust the idle if it was badly out of tune.
             Pedro

I love animals - they taste great

F4+
NosFEratu
Guru

Model: FE

F4+ =^^=

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 12:48:46 PM »

welcome to the Vanner's Club Stinky!  Grin 

NosFEratu
Guru

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 01:34:57 PM »

I just need one of "those" stickers  Wink

NosFEratu
Guru

F4+ =^^=

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 02:49:09 PM »

Um, given yours has side windows, I think you'd better string up some curtains if you're gonna get one of those stickers!  Wink

NosFEratu
GOA350
vic-club

FE's are great when they've got a V8

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2010, 07:16:02 PM »

Great work Stinky, you get to cruise in your shop truck every day and can use it as a tax deduction, coooool Grin Grin

I also noticed that Kathy is about to tick over the 1000 post mark. Is this when she becomes a guru? If so well done.
fe1957
qld-club

Turbo Charged

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2010, 08:12:18 PM »

Hey Glen,

This is from memory:
Take off front bowl and check
Main jets around 52-56 ,powervalve 65 which is located in the plate between bowl and body. reassemble
Take out grub screw on side of bowl when fuel pump is runnning fuel should just dribble out. If not loosen big screw on top of bowl and rotate nut below until it dribbles, lock back up.
Check arm that comes from linkage and pushes down on shooter pump, at full throttle it still should have some downward shot left.
Finally after engine is warm as pedro has said screw in small screws one at a time until engine starts to stall and wind out 1.5 turns. Should be great, give me a call if needed
cheers
grant

OFE570
NosFEratu
Guru

F4+ =^^=

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2010, 09:14:34 PM »

I also noticed that Kathy is about to tick over the 1000 post mark. Is this when she becomes a guru? If so well done.

Just means I've made a lot of snide comments to people, that's all Scott!  Grin Grin

NosFEratu
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2010, 09:34:49 PM »

Just means I've made a lot of snide comments to people, that's all Scott!  Grin Grin

OR you know it all  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes that should get you a little closer ....FC427...getting ready to click over 999

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
NosFEratu
Guru

F4+ =^^=

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2010, 09:42:13 PM »

999 - devil down under!  Tongue Cheesy

Hey Stinky, I'll do some research and see if we can get some of those little mirror tiles for you  Wink  Cheesy

NosFEratu
Guru

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2010, 10:35:27 PM »

Hey Stinky, I'll do some research and see if we can get some of those little mirror tiles for you  Wink  Cheesy

vmx-mxr

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2010, 10:53:29 PM »

Hey Stinky what an epic mate !!!

I am very happy to hear you are happy with the van and keen to get on with the job. Hope you can post some progress pics -especially the trimming out ?

What about that 'wiring' - told ya so, lol!

I'm glad it's gone to a good home. All being well I might bring the ute over next year to catch up with it.

Congrats on being on the verge of cracking 1000 too Kathi

Cheers

Dave Mac  Smiley
Guru

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2010, 09:36:54 PM »

Wiring kit came in today, I went for the bare bones option this time  Undecided we'll see if it was the right decision on the weekend, I'm holding off I giving my ebay feedback until then too  Grin

Guru

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2010, 07:36:27 PM »

Work started today!
Please note that this was bought as an unfinished project from vmx-xmr, who purchased it from someone else in the present condition, so none of this is Dave's work.
Gave the car a quick squirt up and down, goes great but the gearbox linkages may need adjusting as I couldn't get fourth  Undecided.

Wiring "before" shot - the cheapie kit I bought isn't comprehensive so I had to carefully pull this mess out as I might need to reuse some of it. Interesting use of trailer wiring for the headlights and indicators

A couple of shots pre-wash and polish.

Bumperettes are in at the platers.

Does anyone know what this is? It had two wires leading into the rat's nest, not sure where they actually led though, there is a capillary Temp guage already so I assume it is for something else having two wires.

Does anyone know if this is a single or two-speed? it has Delco on it and I can only find three points to connect wires.

FC427
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2010, 07:51:29 PM »

Stinky this Switch may have been used to switch the electric fan on and of ......FC427......

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
Guru

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2010, 08:34:06 PM »

Yes, that would be it! Cool! (pardon the pun)

DN2168
nsw-club

See you on the road Skag!!

dean.nommensen
View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2010, 08:37:25 PM »

Looks like a great project Stinky.

Isn't wiring fun (at least they used different coloured wires).

Dean.
Guru

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2010, 08:40:13 PM »

at least they used different coloured wires

They sure did, green power wires, Blue power wires, black and even red power wires coming from the Battery-Starter motor feed  Roll Eyes

EffCee
Guru

F4+

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2010, 09:18:24 PM »

Stinky,

The first time I did electrical work on an M.A.N. bus (SL200) I got caught out big time, with the M.A.N. black is positive, RED is earth, guess who hooked the starter motor wires up backwards......... It took two sparkies 4 days to rewire the burnt mess.

At least you haven't got any burnt bits

Keith

Canberra, ACT

F4+ Wink
57effie

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2010, 09:21:47 PM »

Nice van Stinky,

Wot wheels and tyres you got on it ?

Mark
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print