FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
October 06, 2024, 10:23:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: FE rear leaf shackle bushes  (Read 7635 times)
perth_ute

View Profile
« on: August 04, 2010, 12:07:16 AM »

Hello all, great forum and glad to be a member...

I have a FE ute and are replacing the rear shackle rubbers. Firstly what a pain in the arse! It was very hard to get the front pin out and I ended up stuffing the pin and to my surprise you can only get the pin from rare spares. I then when to get new leafs from king springs only to find out that they do not make FE any more so custom reconditioning which quote is less... good news. Anyway back to the shackles. The leaf rear shackles from rare spares fit well with Whiteline rubbers but the front shackle is a pig. My first question is fitting leaf front rare spares rubbers has anyone experienced fitting them as I can not squeeze them in. My second question is fitting the leaf front whiteline rubbers with steal tube. The tube seams to be too long and does it need to be cut?
FCRB26
Guru

Model: FE and FC

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 05:13:25 AM »

They make them multi fit for all other models ej eh right thru to hk ht hg as they are a wider leay so normally you have to trim them back.

Replacing front and rear bolt shackles is a good idea over time they get moisture in them and they rust a bit sticking to the rubber extremely hard to get apart without damaging use heaps of CRC or WD40.

I have never heard of anyone making new leafs im not that i old i guess i just get em recod same result but probably better steel on the oldies anyway.

Does the front bolt fit through the steel tube as i think its not used on the FE-EK if it does just cut it back i reckon its just a spot to squeak.

pedro
qld-club
Guru

Model: FC

If you haven't grown up by 50, you don't have to.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 10:05:52 AM »

Welcome to the forum, only fit one rubber into the spring eye, put the spring into place then fit the second rubber through the big hole with the bolt, as you tighten up the nut it will squash the rubbers into place, you may have to move the spring around a bit to make sure the big end of the bolt/pin slides into the hole without fouling, I haven't used the ones with the tube but as Pete said you may have to cut it to length first.
               Pedro

I love animals - they taste great

F4+
perth_ute

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 01:49:44 PM »

Thanks guys. The whiteline tube is too long so will try cutting it down to the same length of the pin shaft and fitting it. Is there any recommendation of how to fit the shaft as it is a very tight fit especially the disc side as I do not want to have to hammer it in and break it?
FCRB26
Guru

Model: FE and FC

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 04:41:28 PM »

G clamp and wd 40 NEVER hit em in try to think of things to squeeze em in sash clamp G clamp ect

perth_ute

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 12:37:20 AM »

does anyone have the manual on how to fit the pin? Is there a special tool required?
pedro
qld-club
Guru

Model: FC

If you haven't grown up by 50, you don't have to.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2010, 06:38:26 AM »

only fit one rubber into the spring eye, put the spring into place then fit the second rubber through the big hole with the bolt/pin, as you tighten up the nut it will squash the rubbers into place, you may have to move the spring around a bit to make sure the big end of the bolt/pin slides into the hole without fouling

Get the pin into place so you can get the nut onto it and as you "carefully" turn the nut it will pull the pin into place, I just did new pins and rubbers on my wagon and it all went in easily.
         Pedro

I love animals - they taste great

F4+
colt
act-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010, 06:28:02 PM »

I agree with you there Pedro. Get everything lined up, lube the rubbers and pin, it all goes into place easily.

Colin.

colt
perth_ute

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2010, 12:44:58 AM »

what a absolute pig..........

Got it! Grin I am sure lots of people can remove and fit the leafs but my first time so happy to pass on my experience.

I found the trick to fitting the leaf is to...

Use nylon bushes on front shackle and rear. You will need to use the rare spares saddles as the nylon one is too wide. Also you can not buy FE leaf springs from King Springs any more so you need to get them reconditioned. Use nylon leaf plates in the leaf. You need to cut down the nylon bushes so they fit along with the front shackle pin tube supplied with the nylon bush. Use existing bushes or length of pins for correct cutting measurements.

First clean everything especially the fittings. Put the front shackle nylon bush in and get that bugger in to the body mounting. Took a couple of goes. Use rubber grease along the sides as it helps. Then fit the shackle pin tube in from the open side. I had to lift the leaf with one hand while moving the pin in. Next align the bush and check it does not fold on the sides. Get the pin and apply plenty of rubber grease. The idea is that only the pin and inner tube have grease. Had to turn the pin so the thread would go through and again lift the leaf with one hand while aligning the pin head in so there is enough thread on the other end to get the bolt on. Then holding the leaf so it is kept aligned tighten the bolt so the pin head goes all the way in.

Second put the rear pins in. Had to lift the centre of the leaf with a jack and put a piece of wood between the leaf and under body so the rear pins line up and fitting is easy.

Hope this helps someone.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: