FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 21, 2024, 07:42:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: VL caliper to HD/HR stub axle adaptors  (Read 9779 times)
pedro
qld-club
Guru

Model: FC

If you haven't grown up by 50, you don't have to.

View Profile
« on: June 19, 2010, 12:35:54 PM »

I'm doing a bit of research on the adaptors to fit the VL calipers to my HD/HR front end as I'm ready to buy them now, CRS only has a kit to fit them to HK-WB stubs and I couldn't find any adaptors only upgrade kits at Hoppers stoppers, does anybody make an adaptor for the HD drum brake stubs or do I have to get HK-WB ones.
      Pedro

I love animals - they taste great

F4+
JB
qld-club
Guru

Model: FE

Jason Blanchard
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 12:39:40 PM »

Give Hoppers stoppers a call if you haven't and they will guide you in the right direction mate. Or Ken will...

Phone +64 223509263
Old_Mt_Isa_Boy
qld-club

My Ute

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 02:22:02 PM »

http://www.stubtech.com.au/index.html

I'm going down the new stub axel path. Only thing is they are a bit pricey. The ST 004 spindles suit HD-HT Holdens fitted with Commodore brakes up to VT,  the cost of the spindles is $775.00 a pair + postage including gst and Qld registration paperwork. (Recent quote last week)

I figure the Commodore parts will be around a lot longer and will match my shortened dif and I like the fact they give paper work.

Regards

Wayne
EffCee
Guru

F4+

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2010, 05:12:38 PM »

I'm doing a bit of research on the adaptors to fit the VL calipers to my HD/HR front end as I'm ready to buy them now, CRS only has a kit to fit them to HK-WB stubs and I couldn't find any adaptors only upgrade kits at Hoppers stoppers, does anybody make an adaptor for the HD drum brake stubs or do I have to get HK-WB ones.
      Pedro

Pedro,

PM Dean (Smithy) AKA Camo Man. I am pretty sure that the kit that he used utilised the drum brake front spindles

Keith

Canberra, ACT

F4+ Wink
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2010, 09:22:57 PM »

Hoppers don't sell this kit anymore because it uses a modified drum stub which were done at CRS. When CRS went through all their management troubles they became unreliable which prompted us to design our own kit. So this was one of the first kits I designed. Since we wanted to sell only a kit which used brand new parts we decided not to build a kit using old calipers so it uses brand new twin piston calipers and brand new rotors - it is not available as a bracket only kit.
CRS kit used to be available to suit HR front end - maybe they stopped that line.

Ken
pedro
qld-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2010, 10:53:28 AM »

Thanks guys, the dropped stub axles sound like the way to go Wayne, the adaptor plates were $575 + potage both ways and I would have had to buy a set of HK-WB stub axles to go exchange anyway so the price wouldn't have been that much different in the long run, the bonus is that you run standard lenth springs with the dropped stub axles for a smoother ride.
                          Pedro

F4+
FCRB26
Guru

Model: FE and FC

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2010, 06:24:05 PM »

Hi Mr Pedro

I am cutting adaptor sets this week for my old man you need to use HD or HR drum front stubs im guessing HK,T,G are the same you will need to get bolts

you can use VK to VS callipers

Just need to make sure i have steel in stock

ALSO no engineers certificate or anything will be supplied i guarentee workmanship.

Pete

mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2010, 09:39:48 PM »

Pete, do you machine down the top bolt boss on the stub axle like CRS do? or is your bracket system different?

Ken
FCRB26
Guru

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2010, 05:33:38 AM »

The customer will have to do them with a cut off wheel and a soft pad to clean it up.
they are the same.

was making my dads ones and thought i might do a few extra.

Mine on my car were originally oxy profile cut and not the neatest finish.

water jet is a lot cleaner.

Just doing a few little extra pocket money jobs machine is normally flat out doing our contract jobs.

pedro
qld-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2010, 08:31:22 AM »

Thanks Pete sounds great to me as I already have HD/HR drum stubs, let me know how much and I will send the dough down, how's your build going I'm looking forward to seeing a few pics of what you have done to the old girl.
              Pedro

F4+
FCRB26
Guru

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2010, 10:29:49 AM »

will get them cut and the bolts ordered.

Might pull mine apart tonight to check out exactly what material i used and some photos.

I have done bugger all the last couple of weeks
Its on the spit with a new tunnel in it and cut some more bits off it but am very slow.

Bought a new boat so i have been buying and making bits waiting for it to arrive from the builder in QLD.

Will stay in touch.

holdsy
qld-club

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2010, 12:11:51 PM »

Try this one Rod does all brake conversions im preety sure you need HR drum brake axels for the conversion http://www.rodsracks.com.au/
pedro
qld-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2010, 06:52:26 AM »

Thanks holdsy, I was talking to Rod the other day as I got some steering linkages off him and he didn't mention brake adaptors though, Pete has made me a set so one more problem has been solved Smiley
             Pedro   

F4+
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: