FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
October 04, 2024, 08:47:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: EK dash into FC - how is it done?  (Read 4132 times)
Ol_Girl_58
tas-club

Model: FC

getting there...

View Profile
« on: February 11, 2003, 11:01:50 PM »

I want to fit an EK dash into my FC, but have no idea how to go about it, whether it will be a bolt in fit, or will require mods. Has anybody out there done it? Can anyone help?

Thanks.

Josh.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2003, 11:24:10 PM by Ol_Girl_58 » Logged
slim
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Ring 0420768346 for genuine FE/FC parts.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2003, 11:38:21 PM »

Harko is the man to talk to about this subject . He has similar inspirations!   Good LUCK   Smiley

Im located at Liverpool, NSW
gree

chopped greens

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2003, 02:04:44 AM »

it would be best to cut out a large area of an ek dash i think, so that the chrome and gauges will bolt up as they should, you'd then have to see how you could cut and weld the ek form into the rather flat fc dash and make the whole thing flow. lots of planning and welding and grinding and filling and swearing i'd think!  Grin

definately not a bolt up job. i have a really good ek dash and gauges at home that i had been saving to do a similar thing, but like heaps of other stuff i never got around to it!

simon
HARKO
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2003, 01:10:59 PM »

Ol 58 are you talking instrument cluster or complete dash ?
Ive been toying with the idea of grafting on FC front sheet metal on to an EK ute ,Ive done a lot of measuring comparing etc etc and what Ive seen is that the FC front screen on its lower edge has a much more enhanced curve than EK and an EK dash {in your case} is much larger than the FC because the door and winscreen pillar are placed about 5 inches further back to allow for the wrap around screen .
But in saying that my guess is that the depth of the EK dashboard could be basicaly cut off and welded to the FC somewhere around the windscreen surround - metal sometimes just like you and me  needs a little massaging to bring out its true beuty.
The closest Ive come is putting an EK dash into a  ford Jailbar truck ,Shortened the dash width and it fitted pretty easy and whats more is that I could walk away from that one with a sly smirk on my face knowing I had deliberately defaced another ford with Holden equipment. Wink
« Last Edit: February 12, 2003, 01:12:28 PM by HARKO » Logged
FantaC

Model: FC

loose nut

https://www.facebook.com/
View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2003, 01:51:17 PM »

hi guys
wild idea
A EK-FB with FE-FC panels .that would look like a mini 55 chev
« Last Edit: March 05, 2003, 01:56:44 PM by FantaC » Logged

FantaC Customs
gree

chopped greens

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2003, 12:20:26 AM »

more like a 57 i'd think, except for the 55 ish grille  Wink

simon
chesy
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2003, 10:47:19 AM »

Let me know if this idea ever gets off the ground please fellas. My ultimate dream car is a '55 chev, and if there is a more unique and australian alternative to the same visual appeal, I'm keen. Might be a bit harder to big block it though.
Paul Kelly
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2003, 07:11:44 AM »

This conversion has been done in the 60's.
It not that hard, have done three into FJ's
You need to cut the complete dash out of the donar FB  EK including the side extentions that blend into the doors.
Measure the width of the FC  and depth from the screen edge to the face of the dash centre grill.
Using these measurements transfer then to the FB EK dash.Now is the time to decide if you want the dash further out and this helps balance the stering column length, it also creates other work but whats a little bit more when doing a conversion like this.

When cutting the FC dash out leave at least 15mm of the top face behind the screen lip as a support lip during set up. It can be trimmed back later but leave an amount you are comfortable with to weld the new dash to.
A paper pattern of the screen profile will help when cutting the FB EK dash, when making the critical cut to the top of the donar dash allow a little extra. Im not saying that your measurements will not be correct but its easier to cut a little more off than having to weld a bit more on.  

The side sections will have to be cut off but can be welded to the doors so the dash dlends into the door tops making it look like it grew there.

Paul.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: