FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
October 05, 2024, 05:29:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: What the hell!  (Read 106310 times)
Not Happy Jan
nsw-club

Model: FC

Aussie adventure

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 22, 2011, 07:09:00 AM »

Thanks.Blok
Still,got.heaps.to.do.Yours.sounds.unreal Cool
My.space.button.haspacked.it.in Tongue

You can never have too many!
Port Macquarie NSW
fe350chev
Guru

Model: FE and FC

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 20, 2011, 10:10:00 PM »

Well, I am nearly up to where you were... doing sills and A pillar sections now that I have thoroughly inspected mine! (taxi) and you are inspiring me. I look forward to your next installment.  Wink

Deano

Current Rides: 1958 "Black and White Taxi" FC special Sedan, 1957 FE special Sedan, BA Futura,  2015 VF Commodore, 1956 Austin Tipper Truck
Not Happy Jan
nsw-club

Aussie adventure

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 21, 2011, 05:37:11 AM »

Hi Dean
Poking along slowly. Got the subframe garnet blasted last weekend and need to prep and paint that. Prepped and painted all the underside and will also have to do the diff. Once that's on then I want to put the diff and subframe back on to do the sills. Have just been waiting to get some decent progress before the next post. I have sort of been hanging in limbo... not fininshing any thing off cos this needs to be done and I cant because that needs to be done. etc etc
I need to spend some evenings in the garage but I'm usually so kangaroo edward when I get home. Thanks for the gee up though!

Port Macquarie NSW
Dave Lakin (Davo Lako)

Model: FE

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 21, 2011, 10:08:57 AM »

Kangaroo Edward Huh? Golly , haven't heard that for years !!!  ...good to see your space bar is on the mend though ... LOL .

When I was a young man I spent most of my money on cars , beer and women (in that order) ... the rest ... I just wasted !

Port Macquarie NSW
fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 21, 2011, 04:55:12 PM »

What paint will you be using. Acrylic or 2k. I suppose at our stage normal etched primer should be ok but I'm still unsure if ill go epoxy or normal 2 pak base. I thought of acrylic but if I go epoxy I can use anything later.

Deano

Current Rides: 1958 "Black and White Taxi" FC special Sedan, 1957 FE special Sedan, BA Futura,  2015 VF Commodore, 1956 Austin Tipper Truck
Not Happy Jan
nsw-club

Aussie adventure

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: December 21, 2011, 06:12:57 PM »

I want to paint it myself so will go with acrylic. There is a really good thread for painting in the FB EK forum . Check it out! I've done a bit of painting in the past and have a good compressor . Will probably do final top coat in a booth.
I used Kangroo edward cos i didn't know if you could say F****d on here Smiley
Nick

Port Macquarie NSW
fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 21, 2011, 08:49:47 PM »

Why don't you PM me the link or tell me what the exact title is and i will have a look. Ive been out under the Taxi all arvo and came in for rest cos its hot. That epoxy undercoat is the bees knees in terms of sealing qualities and I think you can use acrylic. I think people worry about the top coat a lot and dont put much into the base, but good quality base sealers/primers is the key to it, especially if your using new metal.

Deano

fcwrangler
nsw-club
Guru

JIM-- Gilead NSW

Jim Tuckwell
View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 21, 2011, 10:41:52 PM »

You're right Deano, it not how good the top coat is, it's the prep work that's the key methodical prep work results in a great finish, sloppy prep work translates to breakdown in the finish later on. Long term paint finish comes from quality beginings.
Regards Jim

on the seventh day: God Made Holden
Not Happy Jan
nsw-club

Aussie adventure

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 22, 2011, 06:46:05 AM »

http://www.fbekholden.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3336
this is the link, Hope it works
Preparation is the key! That's what takes all the time Wink

Port Macquarie NSW
FCGos

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 22, 2011, 10:56:06 PM »

Not Happy Jan

The link is a top read, but you said "preparation is what takes all the time" just hope preparation is not as long as the advice  Grin Grin Grin

Cheers Wayne
Not Happy Jan
nsw-club

Aussie adventure

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 20, 2012, 10:19:26 PM »

Thanks for that Wayne... I could not have done it without the encouragement from the forum Grin Grin
Ok Time for an update.
I have been a bit slack with the wagon due to having to do a few things to the sedan. But I am on strict orders not to take the sedan apart at all.
Like thats going to happen Cheesy Cheesy
Got the subframe sandblasted and then I applied the KBS chassis coater kit. This is a 3 part process similar to POR 15 but its Aussie made and a bit cheaper.
Cleaned and rust converter applied...

...and then the topcoat applied . I used a brush and the finish is amazing really. You can spray it on but this saves heaps on clean up.
One bad point is that you can't really store the paint after opening  it. It goes off quite quickly and if you get any paint in the rim of the can then its a bugger to open. I have bought a little can to use when I get a few parts ready to pain.

I then got stuck into the diff and the underside of the car, this was quite a job, but am really happy with he result. There were a couple of small rust repairs along the way and then the same process. Wash. Blow dry,rust converter, then wash and blow dry and then topcoat. Quite an involved process but should be a permanent barrier to the return of the rust. I hope. Cool Cool

Next step was to do some rust repairs to the rear around the LHS corner and the seal section for the tailgate. Again not a massive repair but fiddly. Came up looking OK. With some sealant and also some filler as the lead fell out pretty quick when I was welding. Missed the foot Grin

Next was some repair to the external section of the A pillar. Again not difficult but fiddly. This I will have to finish next week when I will prep the metal as it will but up against the inner layer.

I repaired the holes in the fuel tank which I made when trying to pull out the dents....and have also bought some KBS fuel tank repair kit.. which will seal the tank.I hope.

Took all the crap off the roof and will also chassis coat it before putting some dynamat on ( thanks Stinky) . Also took a while to remove the old material. Was not too bad underneath. Didn't take the support ribs out and clean under them....I think I'll let that go Tongue

Seat belt retaining brackets... rebuild the rear end.... new brake lines... On and on! Till next time Wink
Nick

Port Macquarie NSW
zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 20, 2012, 10:39:49 PM »

Thats a pretty full on report Nick, looks like you are making great progress, keep going and you'll be finished before you know it

Cheers, Gary
Maco
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 21, 2012, 08:31:14 AM »

Nick,

Great work, you must be proud of the workmanship, fantastic.

John

Better in Green
Dave Lakin (Davo Lako)

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 22, 2012, 03:16:34 PM »

Mate , I reckon that if you even suggested disassembling your birthday pressie she'd disassemble you and leave them on the back fence !!!

When I was a young man I spent most of my money on cars , beer and women (in that order) ... the rest ... I just wasted !

Port Macquarie NSW
fcwrangler
nsw-club
Guru

JIM-- Gilead NSW

Jim Tuckwell
View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 22, 2012, 07:30:52 PM »

Nick, that looks great so far. A lot of work but a top finish. Where did you get the KBS chassis kit from, I'm looking for something like that to do mine when it is time.
Regards Jim

Not Happy Jan
nsw-club

Aussie adventure

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 22, 2012, 07:39:27 PM »

Thanks for the feedback Cool Cool
Dave you might be right about that.. But she's a way next weekend. Wink Wink.. Picking up my recent 5 spoke dragways purchase Grin Grin
Jim.... Here is the link
http://www.kbs-coatings.com.au/locate-a-kbs-coatings-reseller
Nick

Port Macquarie NSW
FCRB26
Guru

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 22, 2012, 08:55:00 PM »

I just got KBs coating for my JAWA tank and i also got there clearcoat to do all the alloy after i bead blast it looks the goods..

Pete

fcwrangler
nsw-club
Guru

JIM-- Gilead NSW

Jim Tuckwell
View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 22, 2012, 10:29:56 PM »

Thanks for that, I'll check it out
Jim

fcwrangler
nsw-club
Guru

JIM-- Gilead NSW

Jim Tuckwell
View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 22, 2012, 10:33:10 PM »

JUst looked at the link, Wisharts in Unanderra are the mob that mixed up the paint for the car so I'll give them a call
Thanks again,Jim

Dave Lakin (Davo Lako)

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 24, 2012, 06:50:10 PM »

Hey Nick ... Please don't tell me she's shouting you a set of Dragways now !!!!   
Be over to see them !!! 

Port Macquarie NSW
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: