FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
July 02, 2024, 05:52:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Hr Front end  (Read 4300 times)
Not Happy Jan
nsw-club

Model: FC

Aussie adventure

View Profile
« on: February 21, 2010, 08:27:55 PM »

OK Boys.. and girls
I just saw this item on ebay (230440523956) and I was wondering if
1. Its a good deal and 2. Does one need disc brakes,
I remember that my old FC ( 20 years ago) was OK on drum brakes.
I'm just wondering if the 1200 bucks could be spent on some rust repairs etc
 Any thoughts, expressions etc most appreciated.
Hard to offend!
Nick

You can never have too many!
Port Macquarie NSW
Trevor_B
vic-club

Melbourne VIC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 09:04:55 PM »

Hi Nick,
I have installed both disc and drum setups on our 2 FC's, the HR drum brakes on my sedan work really well compared to the original FC brakes, particularly at lower speeds. Our Ute has LH Torana (PBR) disc brakes on HR stubs and is also excellent by comparison although high speed applications is where it shines.

I personally think $1200 for a front end alone is well overpriced... but others may disagree. My drum brake setup cost around $600 complete including front end, new hoses, mounting rubbers, lower ball joints, lower H.D. springs, 22mm stabiliser bar & alignment + a HR rear end as well (to get the braking properly proportioned) - and worth every cent. The disc brake setup cost similar, the front end was cheaper but rest was more expensive (disc caliper re-kit, new rotors etc). Of course, because the braking system has been modified, in Vic you also require a VASS engineer sign off which costs around $600.

So, not a cheap modification but in my opinion, well worth doing. Only today I tested the disc brakes on the Ute when a Sunday driver decided to turn right without notification.... worth 10 times the cost when you don't have airbags etc...

Trevor_B

FC Sedan, Ute & Wagon .... only a Panel Van required to make the set
customFC
nsw-club
Guru

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 09:35:44 PM »

Hey Nick
The ebay front end is a V8 conversion, with R&P.
Looks like a CRS conversion set up.
I haven't priced this set up lately, but I suspect it is reasonable value compared to new from CRS.
Regards
Alex

EffCee
Guru

F4+

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 09:57:58 PM »

Nick,

The HR Front end on Ebay, as Alex has said is a CRS setup, the downside of this is the front mounted steering racks have a very poor turning circle, it comes with a VH 40 setup, rater than a dual circuit master cylinder. I think that you would be far better off spending the money on another HR front and and rear if that is the way that you wish to go, I would think if you are able to do some of the work yourself, that you would be able to buy, overhaul and fit the HR disc brake front and rear end for the same money and have a better product than the one offered on ebay at the moment.

I am going through the process at the moment so to give you an idea. Prioces are from memory and are approximate

Full front end overhaul Kit $300.00 (balljoints, tie rods, upper inner pivot pins and bushes, lower inner pivot pins and bushes)

Front crossmember bushes

Canberra, ACT

F4+ Wink
EffCee
Guru

F4+

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 10:09:27 PM »

Sorry, I don't know what happened I must have pressed enter by mistake
Front end overhaul kit  $300.00(as above)
Front crossmember bushes $50.00
New Discs and pads $140.00
Caliper O'haul kit $40.00
Shocks $100
Springs $220
Rear brake shoes and cylinders $70.00

That comes to about $920.00

On top of this you would need to purcahse the front and rear end. Note that with the above setup on ebay you would still need to purcahse the rear end.

You would need to add or subtract other parts that you may not need, for example you may not need  some balljoints, pivot bushes, springs etc, Discs may be machinable and so forth. This is all reflected in the price that you pay for a disc brake front end. One in better condition is normally worth more, because you may not need to spend as much on it.

Whichever way you go it is up to you, I have tried to present a balanced option, eiter way will probably cost about the same, however I personally do not like the CRS front ends because of the front mounted rack and poor turning circle.

Keith

Canberra, ACT

F4+ Wink
Not Happy Jan
nsw-club

Aussie adventure

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2010, 12:59:53 PM »

Thank you all very much for your input!
I think that I'm going to stick with my original front end at the moment. I have just replaced all pivot arms and the drag link assembly , tie rod end and new shocks etc anyway.
But I think that I'll keep my eye out for a HR front end and fix that up in the future!
Thanks again.
Nick

You can never have too many!
Port Macquarie NSW
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: