FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
October 06, 2024, 08:22:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Rubbers  (Read 2939 times)
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« on: September 21, 2009, 11:38:12 AM »

Just wondering if anyone out there has actually or thought to fit door rubbers from a modern car?
I am guessing there would be a few mods needed, but I am sure NVH would improve dramatically if done properly.

RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 12:22:42 PM »

I've seen a few cars fitted with modern-style rubber-backed bailey channel (rather than the original stiff metal and felt style). Definitely an easier and often a neater job, but doubt it has much impact on NVH. As far as the rubbers around the door are concerned, the modern hollow style rubber would probably have a better seal (being much wider but compressing better), but it would be a big job to try and get right.

Given the shape of the car and its (lack of) wind resistance, and the pretty ancient A-arm front and cart-spring rear suspension, I reckon that ROI would be pretty low.

But that's just my opinion.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
CraigA
nsw-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 12:42:14 PM »

Rubbers are only part of the issue. Like RET correctly says your are pushing what amounts to a brick through the air so you won't get it 100%

That said, my FC uses multiple sound deadening layers and is actually very smooth and quiet.

Under the car uses spray on sound deadener, as does the internal floor and inside the door panels.

On the inner floor I then use a sound proofing sheet, the same type used to insulate the cabins in earth moving equipment (from Daley's).Then I use the traditional cotton wadding underfelt and then carpet. All layers extend up to and slightly beyond the factory inner firewall insulation, and under/behind the back seat.

I've removed it now but was also using an under-bonnet sound insulation pad.

All rubbers and bailey channels were replaced with Rares parts, as was the exhaust hanger rubber.

Radial tyres also help with overall NVH.

The only noise remaining is generated around the 1/4 vent windows and sunvisor, and only above 55mph. Below that speed its as quiet as my new Mazda. Pump the front tyres up to 40psi and its also got pretend power steering  Grin

So in my opinion it can be improved over factory but you need an overall strategy.
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009, 12:46:01 PM »

Do the gutters factor much in the wind noise?

Johns

Model: something else...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009, 01:06:41 PM »

Probably a bit hard to tell with that air brake Craig has over the windscreen Grin

Now that I've got the beige with the grey, I'm looking for the cream, the bone, the ivory and the off white
CraigA
nsw-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2009, 04:18:44 PM »

Thanks John  Tongue

The water deflectors at the quarter windows make the most wind noise, along with the 'air brake'.

In my XU1 I use the spray on sound deadener on the top and underside of the floor, two layers of cotton wadding underfelt, and then the carpet. Its also surprisingly quiet for what it is, -until 100mph when the tops of the doors start to deflect outwards. This is a known LC Torana problem.  Undecided
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: