FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
October 06, 2024, 08:20:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Grey motor Carbies.  (Read 4934 times)
ezzacoombs

View Profile
« on: September 09, 2009, 07:13:39 PM »

Does anyone know if you are able to get a tripple side draft carby minifold for a grey motor?
and to go with it. the xu1 sidedraft racing stombergs??

thanks .
Eric.
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 08:12:23 PM »

There were a lot of steel home made triple  1 1/2" SU manifold's for Greys  wouldn't be hard if you could get one and change the top flange to suit the CD  or make one from scratch the problem with most of the common alloy ones is that they were made for 1 1/4"SU's and the CD were 1 1/2 " and 1 3/4 "  .........FC427........

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
Dave88

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 09:28:56 PM »

There are quite a few advantages to be had by making your own manifold out of steel. It's cheap and relatively simple to do and allows you to experiment with different runner lengths (freeware programs exist on the net that can help with runner length design).
There's also great potential for a 'home-made' to out flow many of the common alloy cast manifolds.

In answer to your question though, yes, alloy cast grey motor manifolds do exist for the CD stromberg and likewise the 1 3/4" SU but they're thin on the ground nowadays. I'm pretty sure Warneford made a good one.

If you don't intend to buy new carbies, I'd recomend buying a matched secondhand set. That way you could expect them to have similar amounts of wear which will make them easier to rebuild and tune. Easiest way might be to buy a complete tripple setup for a red motor and then swap the manifold

Dave88

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 09:48:34 PM »

Oh, might also be worth mentioning that it would take a rather worked / free flowing grey motor to really benefit from tripple 1 3/4" carbies. From what I've encountered they've worked well in wide-open throttle applications, but have been overkill on anything less.

My experience is limited though. So, just an opinion  Smiley

vintageholden

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2009, 11:15:24 AM »

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Holden-Triple-SUs-for-Grey-Motor_W0QQitemZ150371033191QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Car_Parts_Accessories?hash=item2302cfe067&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Triple-1-1-4-SUs-and-grey-motor-manifolds_W0QQitemZ170380360735QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Car_Parts_Accessories?hash=item27ab75fc1f&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

allways sets on here........

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/HOLDEN-FX-FJ-FE-FC-FB-EK-EJ-GREY-TRIPLE-SU-MANIFOLD_W0QQitemZ140344117496QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Car_Parts_Accessories?hash=item20ad2948f8&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

ezzacoombs

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 10:11:02 PM »

Thanks guys, that has helped me alot.!!! i purchased a set of ebay for $200 and it had a list of the service that has been done to it from a carby place! soo good deal! the only thing im worried about, which i think it should be right is, im hoping that the carby closest to the firewall does not hit the fire wall because of its position?.. it looks like it may come very close.! does anyone know, from experience or know of anyone, that this has happened to?.
thanks for that guys... so helpful!
customFC
nsw-club
Guru

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2009, 08:44:41 PM »

This might help answer your question.

Regards
Alex

weddo
tas-club

HIS, HER's & OUR's

billnjudiwedd@gmail.com
View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2009, 09:53:27 PM »