FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
July 02, 2024, 05:59:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Sand Blasting  (Read 4595 times)
Not Happy Jan
nsw-club

Model: FC

Aussie adventure

View Profile
« on: July 24, 2009, 08:11:21 PM »

Just testing the waters because I have never done this before Tongue Undecided .... has anyone tried to do this themselves. Someone gave me a kit from bunnings and i thought that i would try it out on the backs of the guards and the front end to clean them up. I have a good strong compressor so that is not an issue.
I know I'll have to screen pretty well...
But how much and what sort of sand does it use  Huh
Nick

You can never have too many!
Port Macquarie NSW
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 08:55:46 PM »

Don't use sand as it gives of gas which is poisonous...I think the disease is call silicosis ,you get from breathing the gas that is released from sand when it hits an object under pressure as in blasting ...There are many different mediums that can be used safely Garnet ,Glass, soda , Wallnut shell , plastic etc etc  I think unless your compressor is around 20CFM that doing more than a small area at home is out of the question ,Garnett comes in quiet a few grades and is your best bet and at around $25 a bag the most affordable .....FC427.....

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
TTV6FC
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 09:06:09 PM »

Be carefull not to blast big flat panels as they are easily distorted by the pressure/heating effect of the sand on the steel.The guy who does my sandblasting says any panel that you can easily push in (flat part of bonnet etc) should not be blasted.

Run your fingers over my Holden and I'll run my Holden over your fingers!!!!
Not Happy Jan
nsw-club

Aussie adventure

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 10:37:11 PM »

OK thanks.... so mainly back to elbow grease.
2 questions then
How do you get the  black stuff off the insides of the panels?
Where do you get walnut grit and will it work with the gun from bunnings ie what nozzle size suits walnut grit?

Cost effectiveness. Presumeably that i screen how much would i need to order to do the two front guards edges, apron, backs of bumpers, grill surround and two doors??. I would paintstrip the flat bits and sand them off.

Port Macquarie NSW
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2009, 10:06:44 AM »

The Bunnings guns are very low volume gun I am using one in my blasting cabinet at the moment would take a long time to do what you want I only do small bits at home and send the rest out as it is not cost effective ,difficult to reclaim media , and puts dust and grit everywhere , sounds like you only have about $100 to $150 worth or blasting ......Just my opinion ........FC427.......

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
Not Happy Jan
nsw-club

Aussie adventure

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2009, 09:19:52 PM »

I think that getting them done professioanlly is a much better option. Thanks All Grin

Port Macquarie NSW
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: