FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
July 08, 2024, 08:05:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Close Match?  (Read 4085 times)
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« on: April 29, 2009, 08:00:44 PM »

Below is a picture of a sample I recently obtained of some "swirl style" hood lining material scanned against some blue original sunvisor material. Could this be considered a close match or a useable imitation? only on close inspection do you start to notice the defined areas where as the original material has no raised edges. The other downsides are that only one colour is available  Undecided and it is 3 to 4 times more expensive than normal vinyl and hoodlining.

FC427
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 08:26:49 PM »

Stinky is it the right thickness [fillerweight] Thanks ....FC427.....

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
Guru

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 08:34:38 PM »

It is thicker than the original material, but not as thick as seating vinyl, it is designed to be a hoodlining material.

Johns

Model: something else...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 09:45:44 PM »

Not close enough Stinky, the original material was used in mid 50s Chevs. I would try SMS first. IMHO the headlining in FE/FCs was the prettiest ever used in a Holden, so I would try to source the original first.

regards
John

Now that I've got the beige with the grey, I'm looking for the cream, the bone, the ivory and the off white
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2009, 07:20:18 AM »

Maybe it's the extreme close-up, but the crazy-paving effect seems really pronounced. I wouldn't go for it, myself.

It would be very interesting to find out whether a mob like SMS would be able to reproduce this fabric. I don't know whether it was used in US-built 50's Chevs or not, though. Certainly it was in Australian assembled ones, just as the rest of the interiors are trimmed the same as Holdens of the same vintage, since they came down the same assembly lines as the Holden.

I agree with John though, no fabric used since has been anywhere as attractive.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
snuff69

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2009, 07:49:21 PM »

Hi everone    I have just sent a sample of my fall red interior trim to sms in the US and I also sent a sample of the swirl headlining material to see if they had a match. So we'll see how they go     Dave
Guru

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2009, 08:55:39 PM »

Hey Dave, if they ever get back in contact with you let me know, I have been waiting weeks just for a return email  Roll Eyes

snuff69

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2009, 08:14:54 AM »

I have been talking with Doug over there via E-MAIL a few times this last week and he has always returned mail the next day. The post office send it would take around 10 days for the samples to arrive, so we'll see how we go    DAVE
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: