FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 27, 2024, 07:14:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Taking off the honeypot  (Read 2886 times)
Ol_Girl_58
tas-club

Model: FC

getting there...

View Profile
« on: April 12, 2009, 10:42:56 AM »

Hi all (again) ...

I attempted to take off the honeypot yesterday to fit on my new aluminium cocktail shaker in its place.

I got everything off the steering column - the wiring was the problem. Is there an easy way to get the honey pot off without cutting the wires?

Cheers,

Ol_Girl_58

P.S. so as not to start a new post, I'm trying to get the inner door handles and window winders off so as to fit scratch plates to the rear doors. Those little metal things that hold the handles and winders on - are the big loop/eye bits at the front or the back? I don't want to rip the door trims trying to find them.

CraigA
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 12:18:45 PM »

Is there an easy way to get the honey pot off without cutting the wires?

No, you'll need to disconnect the wiring from under the dash, then remove the wiring cover on the lower column (one Phillips screw) and remove the wiring from the top. You just use a draw wire to pull them back down when you are re-assembling.

Those little metal things that hold the handles and winders on - are the big loop/eye bits at the front or the back?

It all depends upon what the last bloke who fitted them did. I always put them back so the open end of the clip is behind the handle, but just get your door handle removal tool and try both ways.
mikey

Werribee

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 01:49:20 PM »

Handy hint with putting the door handles back on, don't do what I did years ago when I first took my handles off.

Dad gave me the thin flat tool to take the clips off and then he had to leave the house for a bit, I took the handles off real easy then did what I had to do inside the door.  Silly me then put the handles back onto the shaft then stupidly tried to get the clips on with the handle in place...........idiot.

Dad came home after a long while and saw me battling and just came over got the handle off put the clip on to the handle properly and just banged the handle onto the shaft.........took all of 10 seconds.

Yeah, yeah I know. Everyone can stop laughing and sniggering now, I just simply did not nut it out.

The end of the door handle shaft has a nice chamfer on the end of it to help the clip get over.

Will remember that day forever I reckon.

Cheers   M

Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail us now!
jack_fc

SouthWest Coast, Victoria

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 03:19:21 PM »

Handy hint with putting the door handles back on, don't do what I did years ago when I first took my handles off.

Dad gave me the thin flat tool to take the clips off and then he had to leave the house for a bit, I took the handles off real easy then did what I had to do inside the door.  Silly me then put the handles back onto the shaft then stupidly tried to get the clips on with the handle in place...........idiot.

Dad came home after a long while and saw me battling and just came over got the handle off put the clip on to the handle properly and just banged the handle onto the shaft.........took all of 10 seconds.

Yeah, yeah I know. Everyone can stop laughing and sniggering now, I just simply did not nut it out.

The end of the door handle shaft has a nice chamfer on the end of it to help the clip get over.

Will remember that day forever I reckon.

Cheers   M
Ahhh, Mikey, that brought back memories from 40 years ago! It has made my day to learn that others have made the same stupid mistake!
cheers jack

"when I was a young lout, it was all about sex, drugs, rock'n'roll, beer and hot Holdens. Now I'm an old lout, but I've still got the old Holdens and beer..."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: