FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 29, 2024, 09:22:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Reconditioned Engine?  (Read 4215 times)
Suzanne

View Profile
« on: December 30, 2002, 02:26:33 AM »

Hi all,
I just got back from a leisurely drive and the engine started making an obvious ticking sound - more pronounced in lower gear.  The NRMA man had a look and said to have it towed to a mechanic   Cry.  

He also suggested I get a reconditioned engine.  As far as I can see it is an original grey engine (FB).  Is a reconditioned engine the best way if the current one needs work - or should I stick with the grey engine and fix it? (whatever the mysterious problem is!)
Thank guys
Suzanne
Wayne
nsw-club
Guru

I Love my FE

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2002, 02:53:23 AM »

Hi
If I was you I would keep the original motor. I have the original grey motor in my fe and I am at the moment getting it rebuilt. If you want to know a good mechanic that will  do a good job I can put you on to him.What part of Sydney do you live in.
WAYNE
slim
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Ring 0420768346 for genuine FE/FC parts.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2002, 04:11:51 AM »

Was it a ticking noise or a knocking noise? It could be a variety of things, does not necessarily mean it needs reconditioning. I suggest you see a good mechanic (good meaning someone who specializes in older vehicles) to diagnoze the problem first (correctly) then proceed with the remedy, Just my thoughts Roll Eyes

Im located at Liverpool, NSW
Suzanne

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2002, 06:43:15 AM »

The sound was more of a ticking than a knocking...but you could definately hear it.  It was faster in the lower gears and eased off in neutral.  I might go and try it now, see if it's still there!  Wayne, I'm in East Sydney.  I would really appreciate the name of a good mechanic - thanks!
Cheers
Suzanne
brads59

OLD OLDENS=STYLE

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2002, 01:59:15 AM »

Sounds like lifters to me Roll Eyes

1959 Black Std sedan
Wayne
nsw-club
Guru

I Love my FE

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2002, 06:30:52 AM »

Hi Suzzane
The mechanic I have my car at is in moorebank near liverpool he does a lot of older vehicles and understands what they mean to you.To have my engine completly overhauled  he esstiated between 1500 and 2000. The name of the mechanic is C & M Automotive Services 20 Iraking Ave  PH 9601 4473. He does not like to rush the older cars as he wants to make sure that the job is done properly
  If you want to ask me any questions you can ring me on 98251512
WAYNE
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2002, 07:20:07 AM »

If you haven't made arrangements already, I can't recommend Dennis Booth of O.N. Booth & Co highly enough.  He's in Ashfield, which might be a bit less distance to travel if you're worried about doing any more damage.  It's really hard to help diagnose here of course, but what the NRMA guy said must be a bit worrying for you.  Of course, it's altogether possible that he doesn't know diddly about older cars....

Dennis' number is 9798 8521, and he's on Frederick Street, opposite Wormald (250m or so up the road from the start of Georges River Road, heading towards Canterbury).  What Dennis doesn't know about old Holdens isn't worth knowing Wink  He's a one-man show, and it's possible he's on holidays at the moment, of course.

Hope that's some help to you.

Oh, and for what it's worth having a grey motor in the car doesn't necessarily mean it's the original one ex-factory.  If it is, then there is definitely something to be said for getting it reconditioned (if that turns out to be required).  But if it's not, then it makes no difference whether you buy another ready-to-go grey or reco the one you have.

Going from grey to something else is an entirely different story, of course.

cheers
RET
« Last Edit: December 31, 2002, 07:25:35 AM by ret » Logged

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
Suzanne

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2002, 08:54:45 AM »

Thanks to RET, Wayne and Slim for your replies -  As I will either have to get the car towed from Rose Bay I will give Dennis in Ashfield a call.  Otherwise, I will be either brave or stupid and drive it there!  Thanks so much for the advice.  I'll let you know how I go!   Smiley
Much appreciated
Suzanne
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: