FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 29, 2024, 02:49:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: same chop - new angle  (Read 8891 times)
gree

chopped greens

View Profile
« on: December 18, 2002, 04:36:25 PM »

hope you guys aren't getting sick of seeing me play with the same concept....

current fc:

chopped (rear of roof majorly modified to allow smooth transition into the sloped rear screen), 2 door, shaved handles, removed wipers, reshaped ek rear side window, seams filled, grille chrome removed and opening reshaped, bumpers re-chromed (where you could see my welds!):

i know it is mild to some of the stuff you guys have been churning out, but i am trying to perfect the idea before i one day turn it into steel ( yeah right!  Lips sealed ) this is what i am trying to work towards one itsy bitsy piece at a time.... am looking into cloning myself so i can live long enough to see it! Tongue

anyone want to loan me some cash?!?!?!  Grin

simon
HARKO
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2002, 12:03:24 AM »

Hey Simon
Im not getting sick of it one little bit mate
If they were coming in a little more frequent Id be sitting here with a bowl of popcorn enjoying the show
The roof looks pretty similar to that Green/Gold FC Custom Its hard to get an idea that works and still be different nfrom the rest hey ,But I keep on trying .
Good stuff mate
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2002, 06:22:30 AM »

I'm not sick yet, but you're giving me ideas now for my future (very much in the future) Wagon project.

I was thinking of a woodie, but then I imagined your car as a Wagon, a small chop, slammed, painted House of Colour Orange like Mark Jones' FAT57, Satin Chromework (probably painted silver), Cream interior, big sound and maybe a V6, billets or baby moons.

BTW - for those interested in chop-top Glass and guy sent me his businesses web-site - http://www.sparseglass.com.au
worth a look

HARKO
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2002, 12:48:23 PM »

Wink Thank's Stinky Ive just posted him a letter to clarify a few things on his home page so will see what he can offer and let everyone know.
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2002, 02:11:45 PM »

Here's a copy of the original email the guy sent me about Sparse Glass -

"SPARSE GLASS*"

Laminated Glass for Out of Production Classic Cars or Custom Made Vehicles at Sensible Prices!

* Curved front screens
                                       * Curved rear screens
                                       * Curved split screens

If we have the moulds for the glass you require you will pay only:-

* $250 for one screen**  ###
                                       * $1075 for 5 screens** [$215 each]###
                                       * $1950 for 10 screens pro rata [$195 each]** ###

If we have to make up a new mould: [which cost $500]***

* $750 for one screen*###
                                       * $1375 for 5 screens* [$275 each]###
                                       * $2150 for 10 Screens pro rata [$215 each]* ###

[Cost of mould plus $100 {ie.$600} reimbursed to client who placed original order once 25 screens are sold in total by Sparse Glass]

* Meets all Australian & international safety standards

** Plus packaging & freight if applicable.

*** Clients may have to supply template or old screen if requested.

###Some screens with severe curves have a high percentage breakage rate when being removed from moulds and cannot be sold at these competitive prices. Quotes will be given accordingly.

Note: All orders require 50% deposit & balance [credit cards accepted] when ready for delivery. Clients to arrange own insurance ex factory but note that screens are well packaged and failing a severe transport disaster, damage in transit is very rare.

READ OUR WEBSITE FIRST BEFORE MAKING ANY PHONE, EMAIL OR POSTAL INQUIRY.

ALL INQUIRIES TO : Peter 0407 799 120

EMAIL : info@sparseglass.com.au Fax: [08] 8376 3612

SNAIL MAIL : PO Box 522 Plympton SA 5038

gree

chopped greens

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2002, 04:58:08 AM »

might be worth trying to cut a couple of original screens down, or even buying a new screen and trying to cut that - i heard new screens aren't as fragile. guess if it doesn't work though, you are down a screen or two. good to start gathering costs before setting out though...

harko,

did you cut your screen yourself for the ute. i know it ended up shattering at the all holden day a couple of years ago, but i'd be interested to know what process you went through, and if you did another one that may have worked out better.

simon
HARKO
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2002, 08:54:42 AM »

Hey Simon,
Maaaaayte - The headaches that came with shortening the opening in the front of my ute is well worth mentioning ,Maybe a dummy spit too
First of all before even attempting such a job I sussed out about 4 other EKs that had been chopped to get the right height so that the screen layed back at the same angle as the turret ,4 1/2 inches to be exact ,Then I had countless windscreeners tell me it cant be cut and had to be built from scratch (Bull$#it bull$#it) so because I was behind schedule as usual I cut lexen to suit (Pretty major job) had to cut , refit ,cut ,refit lots and lots which doesent sound too tough but it had to be placed in the shortened rubber and held into its shape to do and also provided me with a template for glass .
Lexen is pathetic due to its ease of sctratching to give you an idea of how easily it scratches - after installation I wiped it with detergent and a tissue wich scratched it to buggery .
But back to the topic here the screen No 1 was a total wrie off due to a loose nut behind the wheel if you catch my drift .
Screen No 2 I wasnt holding much hope in at all ,I couldnt watch as my mate was cutting it $180 a screen you know !
When I walked back in to see that little beutifully clear new screen ready to fit I done cartwheels and handstands it was one of the happiest days in my life Yeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaah
So we placed the rubber on ever so delicately and rested it in position ,"I swear I was gonna burst" ,My mate hopped in and gave me the nod to put some pressure on it and Pffft .you bastard
The sreen with so much meat taken from the sides had actually been thinned width wise and the rubber couldnt compensate for it  ,So no drama's it can be done again only I will use a heat seal rubber as in commodores to seal it.
Simon original screens cant be cut ,the most minute chip in the wrong spot and it will shatter (toughened glass)

Laminated glass on the other hand has two screens joined together by a thin plasic film and canb cut thank god.
Sorry about the length of the post but a good topic to share I think.
gree

chopped greens

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2002, 03:39:43 PM »

yeah,

i bought a book about "how to chop tops" and it has a whole section on cutting glass, with various techniques etc. it was saying it is best to buy a new screen as the laminated glass in easier to cut.

it also has a very interesting bit about sandblasting windshields to resize them, by making a cardboard mask on the bit you want to keep, then blasting the inside layer away. then they trim the laminate with a razor blade, and cut the front layer with a glass cutter - though why you wouldn't blast it too i don't know....apparently works pretty good...  Shocked anyone willing to give it a try, harko?!

also mentioned a tile cutting tool that they reckoned was really good for cutting glass - some makita water cooled tile cutter with glass cutting blades - but the book is vauge on this.

is the ute coming along? guess you are bus with the new sedan...

« Last Edit: December 21, 2002, 03:58:15 PM by gree » Logged

simon
HARKO
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2002, 12:31:36 PM »

Hey Simon ,
I would like to try that technique ,it sounds a little more fool proof than attempting the cut on both sheets but also a bit more inconvieniant .
The ute is at a stand still at the moment because it cant hold a young family ,its more of a play thing to me ,The sedan we will drive the pants off when its done ,
I was talking to Jonesy about you Simon and I believe you are all but there with your beast ,I mean you are soaking up anything to do with lowering the lid like a sponge .
If you can weld mate get a hold of another body ,or two to make it easier and go from there ,I think if your hearts in it you will achieve it.
On the other hand if you cant weld yet - enroll
Because lowering the top is not the only thing you will do with the talent , You may be the next George Barris without realising it ,Merry Christmas mate Wink
gree

chopped greens

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2002, 12:54:33 PM »

thanks man, believe me i'd like to do that. just space and $$ a problem till next year anyway. if you come across a body somewhere let me know though.

i have to practice welding on the thinner sheet metal, but i am getting my courage up to reshape the grille opening as in the photo. got the bonnet part worked out, just got to get a spare and have some pipe bent to the right radius. would ideally like to get some good guards too so i can work on them while the car is driving. mine have rust coming through in the usual places anyway....

by the way, who's jonesy?
i am pretty good at measuring and drawing and making things fit - just got to work on my joining skills! practice....

simon
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: