FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:31:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Grey motor with and "ID" prefix  (Read 4776 times)
EffCee
Guru

F4+

View Profile
« on: December 09, 2008, 07:23:52 PM »

On Ebay at the moment there is a Grey motor with an ID prefix. the seller seems to think that it was possibly a NASCO replacement block or could be an industrial engine.

The link to it is as follows

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Holden-138-ci-grey-motor-NASCO-replacement-block_W0QQitemZ220326650331QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Car_Parts_Accessories?hash=item220326650331&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A1%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

Can anyone shed any light on this to satisfy my curiosity?

Regards
Keith
F4+
 Wink

Canberra, ACT

F4+ Wink
FB_MAD

I can't think what to write here so this will do.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2008, 07:34:53 PM »

I'm of the opinion that it's an industrial engine.I've seen that prefix before and from memory it was either in a forklift or an industrial generator.Ken, or DR Terry  might be able to shed some light on the subject.

Has anybody seen my red pen??
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 09:16:07 AM »

I'm sure it's a forklift engine - they were very common in the 60's and there were still lots of them running into the late 70's - The rise of more stringent safety standards for forklifts in the 80's saw the demise of them, and I haven't seen one now for over 20 years.
When I first started work at Olex Cables as an aspiring young engineer we had one of these forklifts and if my memory serves me correctly - the engine was painted green as the seller states that this one is.

Ken
peterwmh

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2008, 09:24:57 AM »

That was me who listed (and have relisted) that engine, thanks for the tips, I was 99% sure it was something like an industrial engine, but I was also advised through another forum that it may be a NASCO replacement block also.  It has never been grey, the paint is originally green. 

Anyway thanks again!

Peter

Never late with a 308!!!!
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2008, 08:55:59 PM »

Hi Peter, It's not a NASCO replacement block for a car - These were all police stamped so would start and end with VP or NP etc with a series of numbers in between. It is theoretically possible that it may have been a NASCO replacement block for the forklift though because I don't know how new blocks for forklifts were stamped.
Because fork lifts were not registered, a new block would not be police stamped - I would guess that new blocks for forklifts were not stamped at all.

Ken
peterwmh

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2008, 09:05:51 PM »

ok, that makes sense, thanks.

Peter

Never late with a 308!!!!
Shayne
qld-club

Model: FE and FC

Just Cruisin'

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2008, 09:10:07 PM »

We still have a grey motor powered forklift at work.  I forgot to take my camera to work today for some happy snaps.

Solid tyres, LP gas powered grey motor... as you can imagine, not too many keen operators.

Old Holdens Never Die Because Fools Like Me Keep Them Going
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2008, 06:54:07 PM »

Shayne, it would be great if you could get some pics, also record the engine number which would confirm whether or not it was similar to this one.

Ken
GOA350
vic-club

FE's are great when they've got a V8

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2008, 01:40:25 PM »

Another good idea, if you can get it, would be to get the cast numbers & letters off the block. Then we can determine what year the block was cast,
                             Scott
Shayne
qld-club

Model: FE and FC

Just Cruisin'

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2009, 10:02:13 PM »

We still have a grey motor powered forklift at work.  I forgot to take my camera to work today for some happy snaps.

Solid tyres, LP gas powered grey motor... as you can imagine, not too many keen operators.

Sorry that I led you all astray- on further inspection, the engine is a Gem exchange.  Couldn't see the engine number but don't think it would be anything too exciting.  Owners don't know when it was swapped over.  They've had the forklift since the late 1970s with its current engine.

It is a Yale forklift.

Old Holdens Never Die Because Fools Like Me Keep Them Going
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: