FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 29, 2024, 07:42:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Electrolysis Rust Remover  (Read 2264 times)
spider

GO THE MIGHTY GREY MOTOR

View Profile
« on: December 09, 2002, 06:41:44 AM »

Smiley Hi to all,
                 I was told this solution from a old timer for cleaning rust and paint removal that is safe and non-toxic. What you need is:
* A plastic bucket
* Battery Charger 6 to 10 amps
* Laundry powder
* Wire Cable
* Water.
* Rio rod for concreteing

How to do it:
                      Cut you rod's so that they do not touch the bottom of the bucket and have a couple of inches out of the top of the bucket.
Make sure that the rio is clean at the top that will be hanging out of the bucket, hit on a wire wheel on your bench grinder to clean them up.  Clamp them to your bucket making sure that the rods dont touch the bottom and cant fall into the bucket. Strip your wire and rap it around the outer rio rods so it will make a continual circuit. You can also use fencing wire or anything that will conduct your electricity. Fill your bucket with water and place in your laundry powder, It work's out at 1/2 cup to 5 gallons of water. To suspend your part into the mix, i use a piece of timber with a coat hanger that has been cut, and attach what you want cleaned to the hanger, making sure it doesnt touch the bottom or the electrodes around the sides. Now the most important bit.
The POSITIVE goes to the outer rods around the bucket.
The NEGATIVE goes to the part to be cleaned.
Make sure the electrodes and the part to be cleaned are not touching, and turn on your charger, within seconds you should see tiny little bubbles rising from the part suspended.
You will see the rust get attracted to the electrodes, and will have to be cleaned every now and then. I have used this version and then went bigger so i could suspend the inner panel's that came out of the back of my fe ute. Take your part out when you think it has been in long enough, this depends on the size of your charger,  and the time the part has been in the solution. When you take out the part it will be black, give it a hose off, and i use a wire brush on a drill and clean it all over, or use steelo wool the soapy type and the metal will look like new as if it just came out of the factory. And the solution can be thrown into your garden when you have no more use for it.
If you are not sure on something either leave a message on this site or e-mail me atctattoo@southpacificsolutions.com
The Results Will Astound You. Safer than acid, and no pitting like you get with sand or bead blasting, and no burns like you get with paint stripper.
AND CHEAP
Regards
            Spider Grin
P.S. Dry it off with a towel, hang it out in the sun to dry it right out and then hit it with some ETCH PRIMER>
FE_225

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2002, 03:11:15 PM »

Hi Spider
Thanks for sharing that trick. I gave it a burl  and it works a treat. The results are amazing Smiley
Cheers
Tony

Worried about fuel economy?....Then buy a push bike!
spider

GO THE MIGHTY GREY MOTOR

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2003, 06:40:57 AM »

;DHey Tony,
                   Glad you like it. It saves money and depending on the ampage going into the water the more amps the quicker the process. I am working on doing either a solar panel or a wind generated turbine thru a generator so i can make a tub that will do gaurd's bonnets and gaurds and the only cost is laundry powder.  If anyone needs help or is unsure about something e-mail me or leave a message here, be more than happy to help.
Cheers Spider. Cool
P.S. A SAFE & HAPPY NEW YEAR TO EVERYONE.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: