FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
October 07, 2024, 10:23:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Distributor  (Read 4510 times)
KFH
qld-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« on: July 11, 2008, 10:01:44 PM »

Can anybody tell me if you should be able to easily remove the top section of the rotor shaft from the bottom section when all the plates etc are removed from inside the body of the distributor.  When cleaning up the distributor I noticed the mechanical advance weights were not moving.  After dismantling I found the top section of the rotor shaft was jammed.  I am having great difficulty in removing this top section.  Looking at the exploded diagram in the service manual indicates to me that this should be possible. Am I wrong? The felt washers were quite oily but none seems to have penetrated down the shaft. 

Keith

I was born with nothing and still have most of it left
Rod

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2008, 08:33:50 AM »

Keith,

The top part should freely rotate on that shaft. The weights cause this rotate giving you centrifugal advance. To take off you need to carefully remove the springs attached to the weight paying particular attention to where they go. They are a bugger to get back on so you may like to free the shaft up while its in place. I would remove the felt squirting some lubricate dowh the hole and then try and free up.

I had the same problem a few years back and it was well worth the time and effort tot free up this up. Hope this maybe of help.

Rod
KFH
qld-club

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2008, 09:29:38 AM »

Rod

I have done all of the above but the top section is still VERY tight.  It appears as though it may have some rust on the shaft.  I have partly removed it.  Weights are free, definitely a shaft problem.  I mentally noted that the springs are going to be a bit of a problem to reconnect.  My guess the whole shaft was assembled before putting it in the body and then putting the gear on the bottom.

Keith

Rod

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2008, 09:49:48 AM »

You are correct. I have also dismantled it by taking the gear off etc which gives you easier access to the springs and weights hence easier assembly. I then replaced the gear in with a roll pin.

As for the seize shaft I would place the shaft in a vertical position in a vice etc.. and squirt CRT or WD90 onto the top of the shaft where the felt would normally go and let it soak for some time before giving it gentle persuasion.

Let us know how you get on.

Rod
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2008, 05:42:39 PM »

Keith, I would suggest getting another distributor, since the shaft most likely will have damage once you get the 2 pieces apart. Either scoring or rust will be present.

Look for a low miles distributor - one with little wear on the oil pump drive tongue is an indication of low miles.

I have quite a lot of distributors but they are not hard to find so you should be able to pick one up near you pretty easily

Ken
cruiser056
qld-club

cruisin to the rock and roll

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2008, 06:32:36 PM »

Keith,
        I am sure that I have one in the shed!  Not sure of the condition, but it is yours if you want it.

Michael
KFH
qld-club

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2008, 09:19:54 PM »

Thanks for all the replies.  After leaving it vertical for 24 hrs and soaking it with Inox I eventually, with "GENTLE" persuasion,  was able to get it apart.  The bottom section of the shaft came up quite well after a rub with 400 grit paper with no apparent scores.  I havn't cleaned the top section out yet (ran out of day)but I will probably have to replace it as I caused a small amount of distortion on it when holding it in the vice with aluminum jaws. I ended up holding it by the flats on the lobes where the points rub.  No damage on the lobes. I will try to keep the bottom section of the shaft as there is almost zero wear on the bottom tongue.  Michael I have sent you a PM.

Keith

Sheriff
qld-club

Model: FE

FEs rule!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2008, 12:18:28 PM »

Keith, I have a distributor you can have.   Can get it to you tomorrow if you like.   No idea of how good it is though.  Needs a clean up.  Might help you though.  Mike
KFH
qld-club

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2008, 08:41:46 PM »

The distributor is now nice and free again as it should be.  In a previous post Rod mentioned the difficulty in re attaching the springs controlling the weights.  I found by hooking a small piece of light wire on each spring to help position them did the trick.  I did this before putting the top part of the rotor back I could easily re connect the outer ends by using a pair of tweezers. Total job takes about a minute

Keith

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: