FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
June 26, 2024, 11:38:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Noisy Valve springs  (Read 2430 times)
FX1975
nsw-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« on: June 26, 2008, 11:27:21 AM »

Hello,
     My grey motor has a what sounds like noisy valve springs the head was only recently overhauled so as to run the motor on straight unleaded and it hasn't made any difference to this problem.  Any suggestions would be appreciated

Thanks
                                     Frank
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 12:51:41 PM »

Frank is it getting oil up to the rockers Huh......FC427....

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
EffCee
Guru

F4+

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 01:59:39 PM »

Hi Frank,

As FC 427 said, Is there any oil getting to the rockers, It is extremely unlikely that the springs would make a sound, it is normally the squeaking sound of unlubricated metal that would be giviing you the noise.

I suggest you remove the rocker cover, and disconnect the oil feed to the rocker gear, disconnect the coil lead so that the engine doesn't start, and turn the engine over by the starter to see if oil comes out the pipe that you have disconnected. Keep an eye on you oil pressure light to ensure that it goes out and if it goes out and you still have no oil coming from the pipe that you disconnected then ther needs to be a further investigation as to why there is no oil to the rocker gear oil feed.

If oil is getting to the rocker gear then re connect the oil feed pipe and start the engine making sure that oil comes from each of the rockers to ensure that each rocker is receiving oil fed from the rocker shaft and that none of the oil feed holes are blocked.

You said that the head has only recently been overhauled, how long has this noise been occurring, was the rocker gear seen to at the time, has this noise been there since the engine was fired up and has gotten worse?

Keith
F4+
 Wink

Canberra, ACT

F4+ Wink
FX1975
nsw-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 08:37:21 PM »

I have checked the oil supply and all seem to be getting plenty of oil as oil comes out of both the tops of the rockers and the hole in the connector between the two halves of the rocker gear.  The rocker gear wasn't looked at when the head was done however it was fine prior.  The noise doesn't seem any worse than initially and the head was only overhauled so I could run on straight unleaded.  Thanks so far guys
                                                                Frank
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 08:58:13 PM »

Frank when they did the head, is the installed height of the valves what they should be?? maybe the strike point of the rocker is not centered on the valve and it is pushing the valve sideways against the guide and making the noise  Huh Huh Huh Huh.......FC427.......

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
FX1975
nsw-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2008, 10:15:34 PM »

I havn't checked that, will check manual for correct height and check valves.
                                  Thanks mate
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: