FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 20, 2024, 11:15:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: HR Diff and front end in FE ?  (Read 5613 times)
Brad

My FC Van in 1986 and I still have It

View Profile
« on: June 24, 2008, 06:28:34 PM »

G'day all.
           I want to bolt a HR diff to an FE sedan body. What leaf springs do I use HR or FE and what mods if any are necessary to the diff housing? 
    I plan to lower it at the rear by 1.5 or 2 inches. Also do I use the HR or the FE shackels or are they the same?
    The car will have a HR disk brake front end from the same donor vehicle and I will be using the lowered
     front springs from the FC / FE ? front end. Springs are lowered about 2 inch . I don't know anything
     about the front springs as they came with the FE sedan. Will FE /FC front springs fit to a HR front end ?
     Brad.

Id rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal labotomy
NO NAME

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 07:37:48 PM »

you get a HR housing and axles and saddles, use the FE springs, no modifications needed, you will need a handbrake cable too, to get it lower there are 3 choices, the dearer the better, you can get lowering blocks, you could have the spring eyes reversed or you could have the springs reset lower, i got all 3 plus added another leaf to stop it bottoming and tramping.
 HR front end needs minor mods, you need to move the engine mounts back if you have a red motor and cut of the outrigger and weld on the FE one, you will also need new brake lines but at the age these cars are they all need the anyway.

mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 09:44:09 PM »

Brad, the FE springs wont go in the HR crossmember, you will need to get lowered HR springs. Also use an FB to EH front outrigger on the HR front end, not the FE one.

Ken
Brad

My FC Van in 1986 and I still have It

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 09:35:15 PM »

Hey FCCOOL
               I have got a complete HR van to scavenge the parts from . I think I'll get the FE springs reset. I won't be using a red motor and I have a EK front end to use the outrigger from. The brake lines will most likely be made up new.
              Ken
         Bugger about the coil springs but thanks for the info .It would have been a bummer to put it all together and find out the springs are the wrong ones.
               Thanks again Brad.

Id rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal labotomy
fcvan

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2008, 02:17:01 AM »

Sorry to tack onto this thread but no one mentioned something I was interested in. I can't remember which staybilizer bar to use when running the HR front end in an FC. I had one purchased ages ago but it seems to be the wrong one and I can't tell which one I have been supplied. Also which length/model staybilizer bar ends (join with rubbers the staybilizer bar to lower a-arm) are required for this set-up.

thanks

Miikael
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2008, 03:06:33 PM »

FB EK bar is the one to use. FE FC is too long, HD HR has a dip in the middle which fouls on the outrigger.

Fits perfectly

Ken
pedro
qld-club
Guru

Model: FC

If you haven't grown up by 50, you don't have to.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2008, 10:41:41 AM »

You can run the HD/HR bar by turning it upside down, the dip will then clear the outrigger.
                                                Pedro

I love animals - they taste great

F4+
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2008, 09:04:19 PM »

When you turn the HR bar up upside down the dip hits the harmonic balancer unless you have the motor mounted up real high.

Ken
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2008, 09:19:19 PM »

The only way to run the HR sway bar is to scollop the outrigger easy job and HR sports bars are thicker than the FB EK type sports bars  ......FC427.......

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
pedro
qld-club
Guru

If you haven't grown up by 50, you don't have to.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2008, 01:53:52 PM »

Haven't done it in an FC, but i ran the HR bar upside down on Mez's EK with 186 and trimatic no problems, must have had the engine further back.
                               Pedro

I love animals - they taste great

F4+
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: