FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 19, 2024, 07:09:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 60   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: FCRB30 Wagon  (Read 657913 times)
pedro
qld-club
Guru

Model: FC

If you haven't grown up by 50, you don't have to.

View Profile
« on: May 16, 2008, 11:13:43 AM »

I have decided that to do my wagon to the standards i wanted is going to take years to afford ( as well as finishing renovations on the house), so rather than waste all that driving time, i'm going to do a Wayne Swan and take an axe to my budget, first to go is the sandblasting, at the moment i have a bit of spare time on my hands and my labour is free so i am going to do everything exept the hoodlining myself, there was a post a while back where someone was using paint stripper and clingwrap, i've had a look but haven't been able to remember which one it was, if anyone remembers could they please point me in the right direction.

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk227/Pedrosme/FC%20rebuild/FCrebuild007.jpg
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 10:01:24 AM by stinky » Logged

I love animals - they taste great

F4+
pedro
qld-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 11:15:40 AM »

Try this one

F4+
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 11:28:39 AM »

Pedro all the Cling wrap does is stop the paint stripper drying out so it works better and uses less ,and remember the clean and strip wheels are a great way to get rid of any rust staining or stubborn paint and very cost effective  .........FC427........

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
smithy
Guru

yeah its purple !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 11:29:44 AM »

hey pedro good to see youve bitten the bullet and going it alone.
not only will you save precious dollars you will know the car more intimately and have the satisfaction of saying "i built this"
it may take a bit longer so as long as you are prepared for that all will be good.
may pay to get yourself some knock off discs aswell ( i think thats what there called ) they are plasticy grinding discs i used these on bubbles and they take the paint off pretty quick.

good luck with the task youve set and remember if you get stuck there is always the forum to help you out. Wink

cheers
dean

i may be getting older, but i refuse to grow up!
pedro
qld-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008, 11:32:22 AM »

Ok got it now

Unusual, no rust in the front Cheesy

A little bit here

The usual

Hardly any here either

Floors aren't too bad

My best guards, i have a fibreglass set but i'm saving them for my v6 project when our finances are better.

my only real problem she's had a slight shunt in the rear, when i hammer it out does the dolly go on the inside or the outside, i was told you always do the opposite to what you would think Huh

F4+
pedro
qld-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2008, 11:54:39 AM »

You can't really see it in the last shot, but the section under the taillight is pushed in and kinked a bit, in the post i think they said something about seaweed discs, i wasn't sure if the plastic ones would generate too much heat, on the last FC i restored i made the mistake of using an orbital sander, everything was fine until i put on a good wet coat for the last one and the paint sagged into all the sanding marks, i don't want to make any mistakes this time " it's better to ask a question and look stupid than to make a mistake and prove it beyond doubt", thanks for the support guys, i appreciate being able to just get on here anytime and talk with like minded people Smiley Cool

F4+
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2008, 12:10:00 PM »

Pedro Clean and strip are what you called the SEAWEED wheels [They are a nylon type wheel] any paint supply co should carry them . On your rear quarter panel it has two bumper holes Huh might be a good idea to strip that lower rear guard and see whats under the paint or is it just the photo Huh?? ........FC427.......

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
NosFEratu
Guru

Model: FE

F4+ =^^=

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2008, 12:18:10 PM »

Hi Pedro

John will get on here later and give you some info about the clean and strip wheels he brought in from the states recently.  We found it a lot cheaper than purchasing locally especially if you need a few and with the way the AU$ is at the moment it was worth it - they were pretty good on quick delivery too.

Kathi  Cool

NosFEratu
pedro
qld-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2008, 12:37:58 PM »

More than one hole Cheesy, luckily i've got a donor car to cut a few bits and peices out of, will get some p.stripper,discs and wire brush attachments t'morrow, my first job is to remove front end, diff, etc. now why is my wife hiding the clingwrap Roll Eyes Grin

F4+
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2008, 01:03:02 PM »

Pedro Looks like it has had a sub standard repair and  was not pulled back in to the right place in it's younger days  .......FC427......

pedro
qld-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2008, 02:05:03 PM »

diff and springs out, time for the front end Smiley

F4+
TTV6FC
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2008, 06:33:16 PM »

Great project Pedro and good to see you're going to give it a go yourself.The only thing I can say in my own opinion is that for the $500 it cost me to get the car sandblasted has possibly saved me hundreds of dollars down the track.I still intend to do everything else myself with the exception of a little bit of trim work.Good luck with your project.Cheers,Jamie.

Run your fingers over my Holden and I'll run my Holden over your fingers!!!!
NosFEratu
Guru

F4+ =^^=

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2008, 08:46:14 PM »

Hi Pedro

I recently bought in 50 clean and strip discs after doing my research and realising very quickly how much I would get ripped buying that quantity locally (especially in Adelaide).  Found a place called Lehigh Valley Abrasives - they have a normal internet store plus and an e-bay store.  Good prices and quick with shipping. 

http://www.lehighvalleyabrasives.com/servlet/StoreFront

http://stores.ebay.com/Lehigh-Valley-Abrasives

They do a variety of sizes 2" & 3" in roloc fittings for a die grinder and 4.5" for an angle grinder.  Also have a variety of other abrasive wheels you might be interested in. 

I have found that these clean and strip wheels do not clog and will actually remove sound deadeners including bitumen. Very handy little suckers!

If you don't need that many yourself then maybe a few of you could get together and do a bulk buy.  Hope this helps you or someone else out.

John (and Kathi  Cool

NosFEratu
pedro
qld-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2008, 09:48:15 AM »

Just picked up a twin carb manifold for $50 from an add in the paper Grin, the guy has an opel four speed and adaptor for $100 don't think it will last long as he had heaps of calls. Thanks John, i hope i'm not going to need 50, might as well pay to get it sandblasted Undecided

F4+
NosFEratu
Guru

F4+ =^^=

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2008, 10:24:48 AM »

Hi Pedro

Big things we get sandblasted but for odd jobs they're fantastic  - certainly saves a lot of time and effort. And while it seems overkill to buy in bulk quantities they are always there when we need them and we don't have to take time out to go and get some more.  Just thought we'd post the info in case a couple of guys wanted to get together and some in due to abrasives in Aust being so expensive at times.

As Jamie eluded to - it's all a case of weighing up what your time and effort is  worth too - it doesn't take anything away from you being intimately involved in the build of the car if you decide to get it sandblasted.

Best of luck with it all and nice score on the manifold for $50.

Kathi and John  Cool

NosFEratu
FX1975
nsw-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2008, 11:25:54 AM »

Hello Pedro,

I used wire wheels and stripper pads on mine-avoided sandblasting as This can make straight panels bent.  Only blasted nooks and crannies in the front subframe that were unaccessible by any other means. 

Hope this helps
                                  Frank
EffCee
Guru

F4+

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2008, 02:15:37 PM »

Hi Pedro,

I am going down the same route as you are where I will be doing all the work myself, I have done most things in the past, and I am sure that with the help that other people on the forum would be able to provide you should be able to do a first class job and have the satisfaction of being able to say: "I did it myself!"

Canberra, ACT

F4+ Wink
pedro
qld-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2008, 04:28:54 PM »

Dodgee bros. rotissaree Wink

Disc one down, i was surprised at how well they work, no paintstripper or anything else used yet, I have done up quite a few cars before but i haven't taken one back to bare metal by hand before, they have either been sandblasted or just resprays.

Did this one a few years ago, i won't post any of the other cars as they weren't FC's Smiley

F4+
smithy
Guru

yeah its purple !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2008, 08:11:41 PM »

love the rotissaree, what ever works mate.
i put an eh wagon on its side many years ago using a shed wall and a queen size mattress.
worked pretty well just got to keep the moisture out!

those strip discs do the job nice and quick dont they.

keep it up
dean

i may be getting older, but i refuse to grow up!
RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2008, 11:50:59 PM »

Hey pedro,

Nothing wrong with the rotisserie, but that's no way to treat the back seat. Wink

Best of luck with it.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 60   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: