FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 22, 2024, 02:35:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: What size wheels & tyres??  (Read 5542 times)
DN2168
nsw-club

Model: FC

See you on the road Skag!!

dean.nommensen
View Profile WWW
« on: May 04, 2008, 09:06:35 PM »

Ok what size wheels & tyres are you running & what suspension mods have you done? Both mine are standard at the moment but they won't be for long  Grin.

Thaks, Dean.
smithy
Guru

yeah its purple !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2008, 10:21:12 PM »

big question, what do you want to run?
anything is possible if you have the $$$$$$$
but reality is a different story Wink

i had 15 inch commodore with 195x50x15 front and 225's rear but are now upsizing to 17's ( 205x40 f & 235x45  rear hopefully) mainly because of clearance issues.
i didnt have gaurd clearance problems just with ball joints
i know guys are running 14 inch HT-or G rims, volvo is another option same stud pattern as early holden

not much help i know

dean

i may be getting older, but i refuse to grow up!
NosFEratu
Guru

Model: FE

F4+ =^^=

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2008, 10:39:00 PM »

Hi Dean (JOD34N)

I have a completely standard FE front end with brand new standard offset HT rims - no need to fit HT hubs.   Don't use HK rims - your wheels won't turn because of the inside offset fouling the tie-rod end. 

But Project 58 runs 17x7's and 8's on the rear - but then again, that doesn't run normal early holden suspension! (dropped spindles with LC LJ steering arms, Commodore rack and P76 discs)  Wink

Kathi  Cool

NosFEratu
jack_fc

SouthWest Coast, Victoria

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2008, 09:02:49 AM »

Gday Dean
Mine runs HK wheels, 14 x 5 (standard width) on front, but rim has been reversed on centre to provide tierod clearance (note what Kathi said about HK standard rims on front), tyres 185 x 60 - 14, HR disc brake front end, lowered almost 3". No clearance probs with guards or suspension/steering.
Rears are HK centres with 7'' rims (custom offset to suit XU-1 LSD), tyres 215 x 60 - 14. Lowered 2" - reset springs; no clearance probs, guard lips not even rolled. 225 or even 235 tyres should fit with a bit of massaging, but I hate rubbing tyres....
What you choose really depends on what stud pattern you want or already have... Then, is it to be mags or steelies? Some Volvo and BMW rims apparently have same PCD as early Holden; a few different offsets available, but if you want to run hubcaps, these could be a problem.
cheers jack

"when I was a young lout, it was all about sex, drugs, rock'n'roll, beer and hot Holdens. Now I'm an old lout, but I've still got the old Holdens and beer..."
pedro
qld-club
Guru

If you haven't grown up by 50, you don't have to.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2008, 12:33:10 PM »

The only problem i found with the standard HT rims is if you run the standard hubcaps they stick out past the rims and look a bit dorky, I'm going to have to go a bit wider or run some moon discs like Kathi's Cool.

I love animals - they taste great

F4+
NosFEratu
Guru

Model: FE

F4+ =^^=

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2008, 01:43:24 PM »

Hi Pedro

I have to admit my Hollywood Flippers look pretty swish driving down the road - but I'm biased! Here's the place I got them from - the Smoothie Hubcaps are the same as the Flippers but without the cross bar. I found Go-Kat-Go to be very good mob to deal with.

http://www.go-kat-go.com/50sstylhub.html

Kathi  Cool

NosFEratu
peterwmh

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2008, 02:01:04 PM »

Jack_FC, if memory serves me correctly Volvo rims run the early Holden pattern and BMW rims run the HQ-WB (Chevy) pattern.

Cheers

Peter

Never late with a 308!!!!
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2008, 02:05:10 PM »

Jack_FC, if memory serves me correctly Volvo rims run the early Holden pattern and BMW rims run the HQ-WB (Chevy) pattern

Peter  I thought BMW was the same as Commodore not HQ Chev pattern ......FC427......
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 04:37:55 PM by stinky » Logged

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
smithy
Guru

yeah its purple !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2008, 02:19:52 PM »

peter, fc427 is correct, volvo rims run early holden stud pattern while some BMW rims match commodore- 120mm pcd or 4.72 inch
HQ and Chev are 120.65 mm or 4 3/4 inch

dean

i may be getting older, but i refuse to grow up!
jack_fc

SouthWest Coast, Victoria

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2008, 02:34:06 PM »

Went out to the shed and checked - yep; the BMW rims I was referring to are same as Commonbore PCD. "Oldtimers" disease is obviously setting in - remembered fitting them briefly to one of my cars, but was mistaken about which one. Wasn't the FC, was the HK ute...
sorry for creating confusion!!
cheers jack
oh, and just in case this causes MORE confusion, my HK runs Commy PCD

"when I was a young lout, it was all about sex, drugs, rock'n'roll, beer and hot Holdens. Now I'm an old lout, but I've still got the old Holdens and beer..."
DN2168
nsw-club

See you on the road Skag!!

dean.nommensen
View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2008, 08:21:06 AM »

Just picked up a set of 13x7 deepdish torana steelies. With a HR front end should the wider wheels fit on the front?
I know the offset will be the deciding factor. Has anyone else run this setup before?
Any help appreciated.

Dean.
Ol_Girl_58
tas-club

getting there...

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2008, 12:31:11 PM »

Dean,

Have you fitted your new wheels yet? Clearance with the HR front end depends on the offset of your wheels - tyres fouling on the guards could be a problem.

I previously ran 14 x 7 Spitfires mags with 9" wide Bridgestone Eagers front and rear on my FC with HR disc front end. Mind you, my guards were flared substantially. Even small bumps/uneven road surfacing caused the tyres to scrape the front guards. Cornering was a concern too. When travelling at a slow pace, fat wheels are a bugger to turn, depending on what sort of steering wheel setup you have.

I've now changed to custom offset 15 x 7 front and 15 x 8 ROH three piece wheels with 205/55 front and 225/50 rear Bridgestone Turanza's, and now have a larger steering wheel. The difference is phenomenal, and has allowed me to drop the car a further 2.5" lower.

Cheers,

Ol_Girl_58
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: