FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 27, 2024, 08:51:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: FC van  (Read 21187 times)
FantaC

Model: FC

loose nut

https://www.facebook.com/
View Profile WWW
« on: February 14, 2008, 12:45:57 AM »

Just wondering if i wanted to sell my van what would it be worth ?

The basic body is very straight
It needs 2 sills
It has a sunroof hole
The floors have been replaced with original floor pans and done very well
It has a 179 / auto with an EH auto colum
No interior
HR front end
no diff center
no tailshaft
spare tailgate`s top and bottom , couple spare doors
station wagon rear seat not fitted
all the FC special side trim
no side windows
just wondering wot its worth so any advice would be appreciated

FantaC Customs
reddo

its gottab holden -  ok!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 12:12:36 PM »

Hi FantaC
Not being a smart arse here.

There is an old saying.
"Its only worth what someone is willing to pay"

It all depends on how keen you are to sell it???
Auctions are fair way of getting an idea of what things are worth.
To "Test the water" why not throw it on ebay at a low start price and put a reserve on it that is what you consider it is worth.
IF it reaches reserve then you will be a happy seller. If it falls short of reserve .. well at least you will know what the ebay bargain hunters think it is worth. It takes just one wood duck with a pocket full of money to bid on it and you could end up with way more than you ever thought posible.

Always difficult for us to put a value on someone elses unfinished project by looking at pictures and descriptions. Never know whats missing and just how good the repairs are until you buy the car and start on the resto..

Good luck mate
blacky

Model: other Holden

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 02:24:54 PM »

John, what the hell are you thinking ? ? ? ? ? ?   Shocked

I spent most of my money on beer , fast cars and women - the rest I just wasted.
FantaC

loose nut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2008, 03:07:57 PM »

Just trying to plan my future
One option is to go back doing mobile rust repairs and selling the van would help fund it
Another option is to get a job at one of the bigger rust repair company`s here in Perth
Last option is to become a Gigilo ....... Roll Eyes um so what would the van be worth ? lol

FantaC Customs
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008, 07:02:19 PM »

This is a very hard question to answer for a car I haven't seen.
But here goes - this is just my personal opinion

PROS
windowless vans are hard to find
it's straight

CONS
rusty sills
hole in the roof
incomplete
modified - both running gear and side trim

I would think you would be lucky to get over $1000 for it, but an auction can produce surprising results sometimes.

Ken
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2008, 07:40:10 PM »

From what I have seen about in the last 12 months and from your description it would have to be worth  from $1800 to $2800 but would like to see it in the flesh I attend all the major swap meet up and down the east coast and have been in the industry for 35 years  .........FC427...........

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
FantaC

loose nut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2008, 09:40:42 PM »

Thanks guy`s
It was last rego 1984
i have owned it for about 15 years
just curious at the moment

FantaC Customs
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2008, 10:06:21 PM »

just curious at the moment
Don't be, like many others before you, you'll regret it once the deed is done.
Money comes and goes but you can't replace the car.

ratbox

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2008, 01:34:01 PM »

mcl 1959 are you serious or trying to talk it down to buy it, you'de be lucky to get a ruff sedan for that sort of money these days Roll Eyes
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2008, 04:08:42 PM »

Yep, I bet Ken is filling his water bag and packing his lunch for the trip across the Nullabor right now  Roll Eyes
While the body style is rarer and possibly more sought after, FantaC's example does have a few problems which does bring the price down.

Fix it up and claim it as a business deduction and it would be a great showcase for your work, especially if you metal finished it and cleared it or candied it like that Hot Wheels '57 Delivery.

mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2008, 07:36:57 PM »

I certainly don"t intend buying the car - way too much work involved.  I listed quite a lot of negatives against this vehicle to the extent that it lowers its value in my opinion.  Remember I said it was only my opinion in my original response.  Huh Huh Unless you are a panel beater, sill replacement and roof repairs cost a lot of money and if the buyer intends a restoration then the number of parts that are missing makes it difficult to restore.
If the buyer intends to modify it then they may be willing to spend a bit more than a restorer but the side stripes may not appeal to everyone.  This car if sold falls into the category of abandoned project and as such would never command as much as a complete original car.
Also sedans are far more popular than vans so a ruff sedan will bring more money than a better van. Utes continue to bring good money and are probably the most desirable body style, followed by sedans, wagons and vans bringing up the rear.
It's an academic argument anyway since the owner is unlikely to sell - so we will never know and there's no point discussing it any more.
Ken
FantaC

loose nut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2008, 09:51:31 PM »

The question is not if i will or i wont sell it
I am wondering wot it would be worth
Thought the best place to ask is this site
and if it is worth more than i thought i may consider selling it

FantaC Customs
Sideplate
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2008, 10:17:00 PM »

It worth what soemone who wants it is willing to pay and what the owner wants, then a negotiated price!!  Vans are rare but if needed a lot of work restricts the price somewhat I suppose.  FantaC if you want to sell it advertise it for what you want and see how you go, its a bit hard to give a price from not seeing it.  Id love to buy it for the right price if I had a shed to put it in!!!!!!  Good luck if you do sell it
FantaC

loose nut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2008, 10:40:11 PM »

Thanxs eveyone for your input
Wot about if i did all the body repairs and put it in primer ready for paint
I would garentee the work would be first class and would take photo`s to prove it
wot would it be worth then ??
Please keep in mind that YES i could be just wasting your time by asking these`s questions

FantaC Customs
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2008, 10:54:50 PM »

New sills, SunRoof filled, All repairs and rust done and panels swinging ready for paint around  $4,000 For the amount of work needed I would think not worth the effort Would be better if you were being paid to do the work after selling it as is   ...........FC427..........

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
NosFEratu
Guru

Model: FE

F4+ =^^=

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2008, 02:14:21 PM »

FantaC

DON'T SELL IT UNLESS YOU REALLY HAVE TO (sorry about shouting but I'm a tad emotional at the moment!)

I agree with Stinky - you will definitely regret it. 

Windowless vans are hard to come by and everyone into these earlies know that and knows their worth as a result!  Yes, an unfinished car that needs work is a money pit but there is nothing like cruisin' in the car you love - made even sweeter when you know that you are driving one of the elusive body styles.

I found one 23 years ago (effectively rescued it from a future trip to Sims Metal) and always planned to fix it up. But due to a marriage bust up I regretfully had to leave it behind (and it was the ex's decision to sell it).  Ever since then, my current better half and I have been chasing them down but never seeming to be in the right place at the right time.   

I finally got one again last year. I didn't care that it had been modified - all I wanted was a windowless van with the back half in good nick. You can't believe how happy I was to bring another one home again Cheesy

Add to that the surprise I got when I found out later that it was MY ORIGINAL VAN I had to give up years ago (I "heard" mine had gone up in flames many years ago).  My face hurt for days from smiling - actually it still does! Grin

Don't sell unless you really have to - take Stinky's advice and, if you can  build it up as a business van and use it as a mobile signboard and tax deduction - do it! Leave it in the garage for a few more years if you have to but think long and hard before you make a decision to sell!

And before anyone thinks I am pro windowless vans and don't appreciate other body styles - my first car I ever had was an FE sedan.  I still have it and, as much as I love my van, my sedan always comes first! 

NosFEratu  Cool

NosFEratu
FantaC

loose nut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2008, 12:00:09 AM »

I am going to apply for a small buisness loan and if its approved i wont need to sell it
Great story and glad to hear you got it back NosFEratu
I first fell in love with FC`s when i was 12 my brother bought a sedan for $50 and i have been hooked ever since
I bought my first FC when i was 18 it was a ute , Hot canary yellow with twin carbs and chromies
would like to know where that is now

FantaC Customs
NosFEratu
Guru

Model: FE

F4+ =^^=

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2008, 08:18:07 AM »

FantaC

I wish you all the best with your loan application and hope your business venture goes well.  It is not too often that you can combine your business with your "hobby" and have a legitimate tax deduction so if you can - do it!  Thanks to Stinky for his suggestion.  Wink

I appreciate that sometimes we are in situations where we have to do things we don't really want to but have to.  However, if you can find a way around it then you have to think seriously about it. Even if it means putting it under covers for a few years - you have to consider the costs and benefits of it all (oh no - the number cruncher in me is showing Embarrassed )

I am glad you posted your question - it's demonstrated that there is a lot of support and understanding in the community.

Best of luck with it all and if you are successful, one of the next problems you will have will be the style of advertising you choose for your "canvas" - but that will be the fun part! 

NosFEratu  Cool

NosFEratu
ratbox

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2008, 07:04:47 PM »

everybody has different opinions, a restorer will think a modified is worth less money and vice versa
i beleive the harder something is to get the more it is worth, therefore being a van AND on top of that windowless it has to be worth more than a sedan, more people may be looking for sedans but there are far more available
like others have said it's worth what someone is willing to pay on the day
at a guess i'de say stick it on ebay either starting at what you want or put a reserve of what you want and see what happens, but this too will vary depending on yor location
the stock v's modified thing will go forever, restorers think there's are worth more modifiers say there's are
all i can say to that is barring muscle car/collectable cars monaros toranas etc i'm yet to see a stocker sell for more than a modified in simular condition and this goes from T model fords through to new commodores
retro

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2008, 07:19:03 PM »

good point with the mod vs orig...ive never though of it that way rb.

My vote will be finish it, use it for work, and then sell it on the sly to someone who falls in love with the finished project. Like ratboxes van, once complete, every tom, dick, and harry has the money to spend.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: