FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 29, 2024, 12:35:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Wannabe artist  (Read 17189 times)
customFC
Guru

Model: FC

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« on: February 01, 2008, 02:31:34 PM »

So you would like to create something artistic but can't paint or draw.
Well this may be of interest.
This online site lets you upload your photo and vectorise it to give it a painted look.
Kinda like colour by numbers. Check it out.

Here's a link to the site.
http://vectormagic.stanford.edu/
Let's see what you can come up with.
Regards
Alex

customFC
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2008, 02:44:29 PM »

Here's another 1.

Have some fun!!!
Regards
Alex

customFC
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 08:19:33 PM »

Another

Regards
Alex

FantaC

loose nut

https://www.facebook.com/
View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2008, 09:34:11 PM »

That looks so cool  Cool

FantaC Customs
NO NAME

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2008, 10:11:16 PM »

huh, when i was at school the teachers always told me to aim to be a graphic designer becuase of my drawing abillity, then computers took over, you dont really need to be good with a pencil and airbush anymore with all this stuff, anybody can make any picture they like in photoshop, drawing at school was a waste of time, we should have just had a few computers in the graphic design and art rooms. its dissapointing in a way, last time i bothered with a airbrush was when i was about 14, i remember doing a adult course, and some guy was showing me pictures he made, i thought he was a legend till he told me he did it on a computer, ive probably picked up a pencil and paper about 5 times since leaving school in 92.

RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2008, 07:57:10 PM »

you dont really need to be good with a pencil and airbush anymore with all this stuff, anybody can make any picture they like in photoshop,

That's rubbish.

You can generate music with a computer too, but there are still plenty of people playing guitars. Likewise, many people prefer to work with pencils, oils, canvas and so on.

Producing a striking image requires artistic talent, no matter what the medium. Each of the examples here work as water-colours because they were well-composed photos to begin with. I don't think you could make a great computer generated water-colour from a crap photo.

And to get back on topic, they're not yet putting custom paint jobs (flames, murals etc) on cars with a computer, are they? The art of the air-brush has still got a bit of life left in it, as far as I can see.

Artistic talent is artistic talent, no matter how you choose to express it.

RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
TTV6FC
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2008, 09:07:27 PM »

I'm not sure Alex actually said that this program was taking place of being an artist or having artistic talent,merely an ability to do something different with your own photos.As was mentioned,when you find out it was done on a computer it changes your opinion.So what!As long as it was mentioned that it was done on a computer is all that matters as far as I can see.I think the pictures look cool,and they were enhanced by a computer.... Huh

Run your fingers over my Holden and I'll run my Holden over your fingers!!!!
NO NAME

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2008, 10:00:31 PM »

That's rubbish.

You can generate music with a computer too, but there are still plenty of people playing guitars. Likewise, many people prefer to work with pencils, oils, canvas and so on.

Producing a striking image requires artistic talent, no matter what the medium. Each of the examples here work as water-colours because they were well-composed photos to begin with. I don't think you could make a great computer generated water-colour from a crap photo.

And to get back on topic, they're not yet putting custom paint jobs (flames, murals etc) on cars with a computer, are they? The art of the air-brush has still got a bit of life left in it, as far as I can see.

Artistic talent is artistic talent, no matter how you choose to express it.

RET
yeh, better music is made with real instruments, but do you see no.1 position each week of video hits being a band made of guitarists and a drummer, usually its just a bunch of people doing a aerobic kind of dance and someone singing along to some pre fabricated music off a computer, everyone buys the crappy computer generated music, you dont get rich so easy any more playing a guitar. not many of the people making big money are really tallented musicians.
 i dont think you can make a living spraying flames on ya mates cars, i had a mate who was very good with a airbrush, he started his own business, mainly murals on cars but never really made enough to move out of his mums house, his brother started a window tinting business wich made more money, there just seems to be too many talented people and no demand for talent becuase technology is a substitute.
 my mum was a ticket writer whatever that is, i remember she was always painting cardboard signs and stuff for a living when we were young, now you would just type it out, select a font and size and print it.
 if you know how to use the software, anyone can realy make any image they like, all you need is a idea of what you want the image to be.

customFC
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2008, 10:31:34 PM »

To me, artistic = creativity.
This creativity can take many forms.
Whether it be using a brush, sculpting granite, designing a house, building a custom car, writing a novel, playing music, drawing with a computer program......it's all an expression of someones artistic perceptions.
The only limitation is ability.
Some have natural ability.
Some study to acquire this ability.
If I had the ability to transfer some of the stuff that comes into my head into something tangible, I would be ecstatic.
As for computer generated artwork.....the computer is just another medium and is as valid as someone using a brush. Some of the stuff I see being created is amazing and I wish I had the ability to use these programs with the skill that these people do.
It's all a matter of taste some embrace the new, others cherish the old.
I don't understand how someone listens to techno music, i'm a good ol' Country boy......and I ain't seen a Country hit at #1 on video hits for awhile.

Now back to the topic at hand.....has anyone tryed out this program who wants to share the results?
Regards
Alex

JB
qld-club
Guru

Jason Blanchard
View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2008, 09:41:07 AM »

I tried, but couldn't get the image to download so that I could post it...

Phone +64 223509263
Hewart
nsw-club

Holden on forever...

profile.php?id=1071847991 hewart
View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2008, 04:45:14 PM »

That's a cool site Alex.....!!

It's very similar to the Photoshop "effect" under Image > Adjustments > Posterise (8 to 10 "levels")..... BUT it's exactly the same the Adobe Illustrator CS2's "Live Trace".

Live Trace turns placed images into vector art also.... We mainly use it at work for logos, but sometimes for pics too.

The best part about the site for mine is that I only have Illustrator 10 at home and haven't been able to do the vectorise thing at home until now Wink

Very cool.....

Here's an attempt for 'ya.....

And Leon, if you're still torn between the computer v paper thing, you should grab yourself a Wacom pen and tablet and have the best of both worlds.... these days, even if you draw something, you still end up scanning it into a computer so you can send it to someone, or display it somewhere..... doing it straight on the screen just cuts out the middle man Grin

Cheers
Les...

Hewart
nsw-club

Holden on forever...

profile.php?id=1071847991 hewart
View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2008, 11:07:41 PM »

I tried, but couldn't get the image to download so that I could post it...

Hey Jason.... if you download the PNG version of the image it should post here the same way a JPG image does (via photobucket)....

I like the SVG version because it opens up in Illustrator Wink

JB
qld-club
Guru

Jason Blanchard
View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2008, 03:08:44 PM »

Phone +64 223509263
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2008, 04:54:53 PM »

nice one Monet. 

I've heard that impressionism came about as a result of the artists deteriorating eye sight.

I'm a good bullshit artist... does that count?

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2008, 02:24:06 PM »

THOMMO_2

FB-EK Car Club of SA

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2008, 07:35:32 PM »

Good stuff Alex, It works a treat.

USE IT OR LOSE IT
DN2168
nsw-club

See you on the road Skag!!

dean.nommensen
View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2008, 08:54:39 PM »

Here is my first attempt, hope you like it.
GMH-O57(FLASH BACK 57)
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2008, 12:13:29 AM »

nice site thanks alex Cheesy

58mintwag

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2009, 10:53:01 PM »

heh
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...