FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 29, 2024, 06:10:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Red valve clearances  (Read 2670 times)
PeteR

ampmobile

View Profile WWW
« on: October 26, 2002, 10:52:03 AM »

Hi,
Can somebody tell me the correct clearances for a 186? It's got the "adjustable" rockers (nut on the rocker post). I've just put new lifters in the old girl, one way she's lovely and quiet but then idles rough as guts when hot. The other way (set at 5 thou hot) she taps better than Fred and Ginger.
One mechanis told me to tighten each rocker until the engine runs rough, then back it off half a turn. Is this right??? (seems a bit dodgey to me!)

Thanks,
Pete R Smiley
craiga
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2002, 07:31:34 AM »

Hi Pete,

With the engine at operating temperature back them off until they start to tap, then tighten them slowly 1/8 of a turn at a time until noise disappears, then tighten a further 1/2 to 3/4 turn.

If you have got an old rocker cover cut out the top using a grinder and fit it to the engine while you carry out the adjustments. It's a lot cleaner this way!!!!! Shocked

Good Luck.

Cheers,

Craig.
PeteR

ampmobile

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2002, 03:05:14 AM »

Thanks Craig, I'll go for a run and then come back and burn my pinkies  Grin  I think I've got an old rocker cover too!

Pete Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: