FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 29, 2024, 06:21:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: motor been sitting for ten years  (Read 2692 times)
waynos

Model: FC

patience grasshopper

View Profile
« on: November 08, 2007, 09:00:57 PM »

hey my 186 finally got running properly but is constantly blowing smoke.kept thinking it was running too rich but is not black smoke.the unfinshed project i bought was sitting in a carport for ten years.my hope is that valve stem oil seals have perished due to lack of oil to top end.hoping i haven't scored the bore on start up still has heaps of compression though.tried wynns stop smoke for half an hour got slightly better.would appreciate any knowledge as i always expect the worst.
thanks heaps
waynos
 Smiley

The grinder is mightier than the sword.
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007, 09:50:26 PM »

What did you do before starting the motor? Oil burning smoke is usually a blue/grey colour. Good compression means that compression rings are OK, but oil rings may be broken.

Ken
waynos

patience grasshopper

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007, 10:30:53 PM »

i sprayed wd 40 down the spark plug holes wound her over by hand did all the stuff i was told.my dad said he had a mate same prob drove it round for a couple days then was fine .might just rip the head off and have a look.dad said the same about rings could they break easily after sitting for so long.remember now while turning by hand it stopped at one point thinking it was ceased.maybe just worrying too much heard heaps of stories of motors sitting for much longer and running fine

FB_MAD

I can't think what to write here so this will do.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2007, 02:44:10 PM »

I worked in a wrecking yard for 2 years in the late 1980's.Some of the motors we fitted had been sitting around in the shed for years and displayed symptoms similar to yours.Most came good after a good run under load ( ie , a good long drive on the road ) and smoke and rough running diminished as well in most cases.

I remember fitting a Gemini motor which had been sitting around for ages.The boss said he remembered it was a good motor so I fitted it.
Once fitted I just couldn't get it started no matter what including aerostart.Compression test resulted it all cylinders around 40 to 50 psi.This motor ain't gonna go, it's stuffed.

No, it was a good running motor the boss said so we eventually got it going by tow starting.Ran rough as hell at first and quite a bit of smoke.
Took it for a 10 KM drive and came back idling and running much better.
Gave it to the owner and he brought it back a week later for a "checkup".

Compression test all cylinders, 130 to 140 psi and engine running perfect, no smoke.

If you are able to, take the car for a bit of a drive and see if the smoke situation improves.

Terry.

Has anybody seen my red pen??
waynos

patience grasshopper

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2007, 08:17:10 AM »

thanks terry cant really drive it yet but gives me a little more of a positve attitude

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: