FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 29, 2024, 02:04:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 28   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: It has begun,but will it continue...?  (Read 423333 times)
EffCee
Guru

F4+

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 16, 2009, 09:05:34 AM »

Jamie,

My FC was India Ivory over Castle Grey and the engine bay was the same colour as the car. When I stripped the paint off there was no sign of it ever being painted any other colour.  The inner skirts were grey, the firewall was grey.

The intention on mine is to paint the engine bay the same colour as the rest of the car. Personally I think that it looks nicer to have the engine bay the same as the car.

Keith

Canberra, ACT

F4+ Wink
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 16, 2009, 02:23:08 PM »

Keith early FC's all had body colour engine bays. It wasn't until later in 1959 that the all black engine bay was adopted.

Ken
TTV6FC
Guru

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 16, 2009, 06:24:30 PM »

Got the subframe painted yesterday.Hasn't turned out too bad.Definitely no "show class" results here.At the end of the day,I just want to drive it!Also got some of the front end mounting hardware cleaned up and ready for paint.Will paint the firewall then mount up the subframe.

More soon.Cheers,Jamie.

Run your fingers over my Holden and I'll run my Holden over your fingers!!!!
JB
Guru

Model: FE

Jason Blanchard
View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 16, 2009, 08:16:11 PM »

NNiiiccceeee!!!

Good to see some paint going on stuff... wish mine was that close...

Well done
Jason.

Phone +64 223509263
pedro
qld-club
Guru

If you haven't grown up by 50, you don't have to.

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 17, 2009, 03:36:15 PM »

Got the subframe painted yesterday.Hasn't turned out too bad.Definitely no "show class" results here

Don't know what you are complaining about Huh, that looks like a good job to me, as Jason said it's great to see some paint going on, seems like all we've seen on here lately is cutting, welding and fabrication.
                                         Pedro

I love animals - they taste great

F4+
TTV6FC
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: August 18, 2009, 07:17:32 PM »

Thanks guys,been there done that.Am glad that part is over although I did enjoy it.Waiting for some new crossmember rubbers and the subframe mounting bolts then some more photos.Cheers,Jamie.

stock

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: August 20, 2009, 03:06:15 PM »

Coming along very nicely moite.......

Are you going to fabricate a 5" exhaut from all of those S26 cans?? Cheesy Roll Eyes Your getting an inpressive collection!

Yes Officer..........I assure you that this roller bearing turbo and fuel injection were, in fact, factory fitted in 1961!!!
TTV6FC
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: August 20, 2009, 07:48:31 PM »

A bit more painting done tonight....

More soon.

mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: August 23, 2009, 04:59:40 PM »

You're missing the short spacers - or are these to be done later?

Ken
TTV6FC
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: August 23, 2009, 10:33:13 PM »

Yes Ken,they are to be done later as in later after I realise that I've forgotten to paint them and put them in. Roll Eyes Thanks,Jamie. Grin

Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #170 on: August 24, 2009, 09:11:44 PM »

Are you going to fabricate a 5" exhaut from all of those S26 cans?? Cheesy Roll Eyes Your getting an inpressive collection!
Maybe he'll make a "custom" air cleaner too  Tongue

TTV6FC
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: September 09, 2009, 07:53:07 PM »

Had a reasonsably productive day today.Had a day off so made the most of it and got the crossmember back together again.This was an excellent learning experience from getting the old bushes out to installing and reaming the new ones and getting them exactly right without stuffing it up.I was shitting myself when reaming them as I couldn't face buggering up a NOS set of bushes.Turned out perfectly.If there is one thing I can tell people it is that you have to give it a go,albeit cautiously.Was also fun getting the alignment of the upper and lower control arms just right.Lots of measuring and measuring again.

Replaced the upper control arm shafts with NOS...

Also had a NOS king pin set....

New bushes installed and reamed....

used the old threaded rod trick to compress the spring then attached the steering knuckle support...........

Steering knuckle/Stub axle installed...

Backing plates and hubs installed.Just waiting for the bump stops to arrive.More very soon.Cheers,Jamie.

Maco
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: September 10, 2009, 07:47:16 AM »

Hi Jamie,

You are doing a great job, can you please advise the diameter of the threaded rod you used to compress the coil spring Huh Huh

Thanks
John Wink

Better in Green
hrpremier

Model: other Holden

Jason

Jason Fewins
View Profile
« Reply #173 on: September 10, 2009, 07:55:54 AM »

Jamie. 

While you are answering questions I was also wondering what support you used from the Front End to the Vehicle below the radiator.  I think I remember reading somewhere EH/EJ is used as the HR one does not fit.  If this is inncorrect please advise of what you have done to make the front end fit. 

Keep up the great work and the updates coming.

Thanks in advance.

hrpremier

I Have A Fever ............... And The Only Prescription ............... Is More Cowbell

http://gallery.oldholden.com/hrpremier/
TTV6FC
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: September 10, 2009, 08:11:24 AM »

Hey John and Hr Premier.The threaded rod is just basic 1/2 inch rod.It fits nicely through the shocker tower hole at the top and I used the lower shocker mount at the bottom as a washer.This method seems to work well.Hr Premier,this is a standard king pin front end but I believe if you were fitting a HR front end you would use an FB/EK or EJ front outrigger on the HR front end.I'm sure someone else canclarify this.Cheers,Jamie.

Maco
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: September 10, 2009, 12:28:53 PM »

Hi Jamie,

Thanks for the information,

Cheers
John

Better in Green
pedro
qld-club
Guru

If you haven't grown up by 50, you don't have to.

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: September 10, 2009, 04:07:37 PM »

Looks like brand new Jamie, coming together nicely.

FB EK EJ or EH is correct for the outrigger, somebody was talking about a bloke in Sydney that makes new ones for $50 each.
         Pedro

I love animals - they taste great

F4+
KFH
qld-club

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: September 10, 2009, 08:46:25 PM »

John  When I put the springs back I used 1/2" threaded rod.  Works well.

Keith

I was born with nothing and still have most of it left
TTV6FC
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: September 10, 2009, 09:07:16 PM »

Picked up my bump stop rubbers and a firewall grommet from Rares today.The grommet is for my heater and looks almost factory.Also managed to get the first couple coats on the firewall this afternoon while it was still warm.Got some rubbing back to do before the final coat as I got a couple hangers up where the wiper motor goes  Angry .

Old school heater,Shin Toa brand,was in the double grey sedan when I bought it and is in really good nick....

Grommet from Rares,looks good....

Firewall painted in the first coat.More soon.Jamie.

TTV6FC
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: September 13, 2009, 08:06:54 PM »

What a day!After getting the subframe into postion ready for attachment I decided I wasn't happy with some of the paint so repainted it this morning!  Huh After which time I struggled around with it for several hours trying to get the main lower bolts to line up.Then out of the blue one of my mates turned up and along with some of his brilliant toolmaking ideas came up with a plan which saw the subframe into postion much to my delight.He came up with a cunning little attachment which he placed on the end of the new subframe bolts which located them while we tapped them in.Unfortunately he had to work with my severe lack of high quality machining equipment but said tool did the job perfectly.It has a hole in the end slightly larger than the thread on the new bolt and the taper lines up the hole as the bolt slides in.Had a couple alignment problems on the passenger side but after lots of jacking up and down of this and that managed to get the upper bolts in perfectly.Without his help,you would probably only be seeing this post about...Thursday... Tongue.Anyway,she's a roller again.Lots to go but one step closer....

As mentioned alignment tool...

Subframe ready to go on.......

Subframe on and frontend in.....More soon.Jamie

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 28   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: