FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 22, 2024, 12:30:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: ECU running hot??  (Read 2092 times)
Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« on: October 18, 2007, 02:20:54 AM »

Hello,

I was wondering.. How hot should an EFI ECU run?

ive got mine mounted in my glove box and it becomes quite warm... is this normal?

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
craiga
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2007, 02:31:35 AM »

Hi Ed,

Most electronic components are rated up to 60 Deg C, quite hot to touch.

Is your ECU mounted flat against the body? If not maybe this and some heat transfer compound should lower the temperature. Many cars had ECU's either under the seat (but mounted flat against the floor for heat transfer) or behind a kick panel, but again, screwed to the body.

Find someone with a infrared temperature gun and measure the actual temperature, it may be less than you think, at the very least it will give you peace of mind.

Cheers,

Craig.

Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2007, 02:56:29 AM »

Hi Craig,

thanks for that info, I have mounted it using all factory mounts (VN V8) and screwed into a metal glove box compartment.

its not reaching 60 degrees (guessing) as i can still touch it and not get scorched.

when i open the glove box it feels a little toasty however the glove box is open backed and well ventilated.

just checking to see this was "normal"

im actually chsing down and electrical "leak" which discharges the battery unless isolated.  Im concerned as some spare circuits i have are reading around 0.15V directly off the fuse panel while IGN is oFF and battery is attached..

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
craiga
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2007, 03:09:32 AM »

Hi Ed,

I have a small tool that uses a coil attached to a needle on a guage. The coil picks up any current flowing in the wire using a similar principle to a transformer. This tool is designed to chase exactly these issues, it will help you to isolate the wire(s) where the current is still flowing after the car is powered off. You are more than welcome to borrow it, i'll be up at the shed tomorrow night if you want to pick it up. Call first though to confirm.

Some later ECU's with learning capabililties use a volatile memory so the ECU will draw a small current with the car turned off so this information is retained.

Cheers,

Craig.
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2007, 03:21:25 AM »

much appreciated Craig, sounds like a handy tool.

I'll see you at the shed in that case

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2007, 11:58:10 PM »

Found my electrical leak using a very simple method...

connected a test lamp between battery post negative and earth.

If there is current draw the lamp will light up.

I systematically withdrew each fuse until the light went out.. of course i took them all out and the light was still on.

so the problem was.....

the alternator voltage sense lead was hooked up to a 12V Constant power source, which meant it drained the battery.

A simple swap to switched power source and problem solved.

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: