FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 22, 2024, 06:27:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: AWA Wiring  (Read 6737 times)
fe1957
qld-club

Model: FE

Turbo Charged

View Profile
« on: October 11, 2007, 09:16:17 PM »

Ok, Hope someone can point out the obvious to me.

The brown cord at the back has tag on it that says.
Red plug positive , black plug negative (pretty cool that it still has this  Cool)
Now behind the cord there is  a red plug blank that when you remove has seven pins , both of these exit the passenger side.
On the driver side is a red female plug and a black dial.

Can any one help to tell me what these are for.

I assume the red female is power in, but I cannot find the black plug, Is the cord for the aerial
,does it need an aerial HELP?!!! I want to power it up
Thanks
Grant

OFE570
KFH
qld-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2007, 10:06:00 PM »

The red  plug is used to run the radio in a vehicle which has the positive terminal of the battery connected to to earth (chassis).  The black plug is used if the negative terminal of the battery is connected to earth.  In the case of an FC you need the black plug.

The brown lead is the power lead to the battery and in the case of AWA they normally had an inline fuse in this lead.  The radio may be fully transistorised or a hybrid model ie valves and transistors.  In either case do not hook this up to an FC with a red plug in it.  If you do you will cause severe, often irreparable damage to the transistors and associated circuitry.

Cheers   Keith

I was born with nothing and still have most of it left
zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2007, 10:10:27 PM »

Nice lookin radio Grant, Some of the AWA sets had an additional (power supply box, seperate from the radio) that may explain the seven pin fitting, if this is the case you may need the cable & the box to fire it up.

The black dial or knob on the side is possibly the aerial trimmer, once the set is up & running you find the weakest station & adjust this knob till you have the clearest reception.

The red female plug could be for the aerial as it is on the same side as the trimmer, although I am not sure if the aerial may be the screw in type.

Put up some more pics of the sides & back, someone else may be able to help.

Gary
fe1957
qld-club

Turbo Charged

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2007, 10:40:13 PM »

Thanks for the quick reply Keith and Gary, it took me a while to get the gist of your post Gary, so where the heck will i find a black plug, mine is red Sad

thanks
Grant

OFE570
KFH
qld-club

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2007, 08:39:53 AM »

Grant
If you could give the model number of the radio and possibly a picture of the rear end with the plugs this can be sorted out for good.  As Gary said some of the AWA radios had a separate power unit (vibrator) but from memory they used a 5 pin largish plug and socket to connect them together. I will be off the forum after Sat morning for about a week.

Keith

fe1957
qld-club

Turbo Charged

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2007, 09:15:33 AM »

Grant
If you could give the model number of the radio and possibly a picture of the rear end with the plugs this can be sorted out for good.  As Gary said some of the AWA radios had a separate power unit (vibrator) but from memory they used a 5 pin largish plug and socket to connect them together. I will be off the forum after Sat morning for about a week.

Keith

Thanks Keith , will do when I get back home tonight, thanks for your help. I am going to the club event tomorrow, I assume that it is at your premises, if so I will bring it along?.
cherrs
Grant

OFE570
KFH
qld-club

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2007, 12:37:51 PM »

Grant
PM sent  Keith

coolaride
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2007, 02:07:29 PM »

hey there

this might be the transitor model , but if you need a vibrator box , i do have a spare one .

coolaride
fe1957
qld-club

Turbo Charged

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2007, 08:09:31 PM »

Thanks for all of the quick responses. Here are some more photos the plug I fear is a red one which suggests a positive earth, (even though on the outside someone appears to have painted black so I am not game to test). Number on back is N81450.       936 A-12 v Transistor.
Keith is right the plug is a polarity plug, just not sure what I have because of above issue.
thanks
Grant

OFE570
KFH
qld-club

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2007, 08:51:04 PM »

Hi Grant

The AWA 936A is a radio with some valves and some transistors and has an inbuilt speaker.  It is a bit worrying if somebody has coloured the plug black and hooked the radio up if it is in fact had positive earth plug in it.  It is simple enough to check the plug out and probably convert it if required.  Do not plug it in until it has been checked.  An external 6'x9" speaker that will suit the FC/FE speaker grill can be plugged into the side of it instead of the internal one.  The external speaker MUST be a 15ohm type which is a little hard to get.  8 ohm units of this size are readily available. A wrong speaker can cook up the output transistor.
I have a service manual for this radio.

I'll send you a PM.

Cheers  Keith

fe1957
qld-club

Turbo Charged

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2007, 09:03:37 PM »

Ok, thanks Keith

OFE570