FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 22, 2024, 09:14:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Petrol mix  (Read 2667 times)
Paul In Ireland
Guru

Model: FE and FC

View Profile
« on: October 06, 2007, 06:17:47 PM »

I am just wondering what most of you do with regard to unleaded and additives.

Do you use any at all? I am talking the original grey motor though I think mine has an EJ grey in it. In my "other car" I use a redex fuel additive and I put some in the FC on the drive home but I was wondering whether I should use something else or nothing at all?

Thanks.

The International FE FC Fleet of Ireland
Education is where you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't.
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2007, 09:52:11 AM »

Paul,

I don't know a great deal about the fuel available in Ireland, nor how it compares to what we have here. However, unless the motor has had hardened valve seats fitted (which is unlikely I would think), you should use some sort of protection against valve-seat recession. The grey motor was designed for petrol with lead to lubricate the valves.

And let's face it, grey motor heads are probably a bit thin on the ground where you are. Better safe than sorry. Even if the car has had the head done, you won't do any harm putting some form of lead replacement in it.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
Bob_FC_Ute

Model: FC

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2007, 02:12:45 PM »

Paul. There was an additive available from Millers Oil in the UK called VSP Plus it is a manganese based additive which offers valve seat protection and an octane boost. See http://www.millersoil.co.uk. I'm pretty sure they have stockist in Ireland. Also there is a Tetraethyl Lead additive available from a company called Tetra Boost. This also gives valve seat protection and an octane boost. Not sure of the web address. regards Bob
Paul In Ireland
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2007, 06:42:48 PM »

I see a nice red FC ute about to sell on ebay and it has some sort of autofeed fuel additive for unleaded fuel. Does anyone else have these or are they hard to get? Are they straight forward enough to install - for someone handy but definitely not a mechanic?

The International FE FC Fleet of Ireland
Education is where you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't.
zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2007, 07:05:02 PM »

Hi Paul, Good to hear you got home ok.

It depends on how much you are going to use the ute, if you are going to be using it daily it might be worth considering a selffeed system.

I only use our cars occasionaly so when I put in petrol I have a small bottle of additive in the boot or glove box & just drop a metered dose in then.

Gary
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: