FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 29, 2024, 06:22:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Scratched Windscreen  (Read 3774 times)
Suzanne

View Profile
« on: October 15, 2002, 03:44:25 AM »

Hi all,
The windscreen on my car has been scratched by the window wipers.  To have it cleaned up is approx $100 but I risk getting distortion.  Am I better off to pay a bit better and get a new windscreen or am I asking for trouble with the rubber and seals and possible rust?

Thanks again!
Suzanne
Cheesy
gree

chopped greens

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2002, 03:55:20 AM »

where are you based? you had an FB didn't you? a friend of mine in sydney has a couple of windshields i think, he would probably sell you one cheap.

on the other hand, a new windshield would probably only cost about $250ish dollars, and if your original rubber is ok, there shouldn't be any leakage problems if the windshield is installed properly...
« Last Edit: October 15, 2002, 03:56:45 AM by gree » Logged

simon
Suzanne

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2002, 06:44:35 AM »

Hi gree,
Yes I'm in Sydney with an FB.  The only problem is I can't put the window screen in - so if that's the way to go then I'd need to buy a new one to get them to fit it!  Smiley  

Regards
Suzanne
« Last Edit: October 15, 2002, 06:45:42 AM by Suzanne » Logged
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2002, 09:59:49 AM »

Don't even try putting a screen in an FB/EK - FE/FC is hard enough, but with the FB/EK the glass wraps right around and is just that little bit more interesting.
I would suggest that unless your screen rubber is really stuffed - try to use it again as it has a memory of where it was and will go in much easier than a new one.

Ken
HARKO
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2002, 02:52:56 PM »

Talk to me about glass fitment !
and pespex     Mann
Yep it is a little on the hard side for sure but I like to live by the motto "If someone else can do it so can I"
Ask me about the set of wheels I tried to make at tech ?
hehehaha was the result
Suzanne

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2002, 09:49:25 AM »

Hi all,
I have tested the windscreen and it does seem to leak at the front, water just appears out of nowhere and drips onto the floor where the curve of the glass is.  

In this case, am I best to have someone replace the windscreen and still use the current rubbers hoping this will fix it (as you suggest Ken).  The rubbers look alright to me, no cracks - or does the leak mean they need replacing?

That's probably a really stupid question and you're all out there slapping your foreheads -  but... but.... I just don't know!!  Roll Eyes

Thanks again
Suzanne
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2002, 11:08:24 AM »

Suzanne, leaks usually only mean that the sealant has failed. The only way you will know whether the rubber is any good or not is after you take the screen out.

Ken
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: