FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 29, 2024, 09:18:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: is it the diff?!?! #$*&#)($  (Read 3222 times)
gree

chopped greens

View Profile
« on: October 07, 2002, 01:44:19 AM »

some of you may have seen me advertising for a diff centre.....

i am running a celica 5 speed in my fc, with an HR diff.

recently, the car started making a kind of squeaking rotational noise in reverse, but only when the clutch was engaged. this led me to think it was perhaps the output bearing of the gearbox, or the clutch itself. then whilst driving, a horrific metal grinding/ squealing sound starting coming from (i thought) the gearbox. again only when the clutch was engaged, and was much worse under acceleration.

after removing the inspection plate on the floor and driving backwards and forwards, the sound seemed to indeed be coming from the box - so i pulled it out, had it rebuilt, and installed a new clutch and pressure plate. the flywheel wasn't scored or damaged.

anyway, i guess it is obvious by now that this wasn't the problem. after re-installing the box, i drove down the street only to have the same noise reoccur #*$)*)#(*%)*@)%*)@!!!!!!  Angry

i don't think i can be wheel bearings, because the sound stops in neutral, and even in gear with the clutch depressed. the sound also happens on deceleration whilst in gear.

so i am assuming that it is the diff that is the problem, but i would rather not pull it out unless i am pretty sure. there is a fair bit of play (lash?) when you twist the driveshaft before it engages the diff gears. maybe about 5-10 degrees rotation. is that normal? it seems a little excessive to me. i read up some info on the diff, about the gears moving out of alignment when bearings become worn etc.... i thought that it might be because whilst under load (acceleration, or deceleration) worn bearings may allow things to flex out of position. it doesn't seem so pronounced whilst coasting with no load...

does anyone have an opinion about what could be going on? any help would be appreciated  Smiley

simon
SEB

Three on the tree, 132 CI and 3.89:1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2002, 07:04:23 AM »

I would check the uni's just in case. Though they usually make a noise in both directions. If  it is the Uni's the grinding noise will reduce when the car is rolling in N or with the clutch in.

Best regards,

Steve
slim
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Ring 0420768346 for genuine FE/FC parts.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2002, 09:06:59 AM »

Did you change the thrust race bearing. thats what it sounds like to me   .    Slim

Im located at Liverpool, NSW
gree

chopped greens

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2002, 11:10:16 AM »

i have replaced the thrust bearing.

i'll check the universal joints. thanks for that...

someone is loaning me an old diff, so i guess i will be able to check if that is the problem.

thanks for yur suggestions guys.

simon
brads59

OLD OLDENS=STYLE

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2002, 07:55:34 AM »

Gree, its easier to change a diff than a gearbox. Kiss
But at least you now have fresh  new box. Grin.
Cheers  goodluck.........BRAD....

1959 Black Std sedan
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: