FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
June 26, 2024, 09:33:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Removing paint  (Read 3572 times)
graham_fuller
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« on: March 01, 2007, 12:54:57 PM »

Can you remove paint successfully with an angle grinder without damaging the panels?
If the answer is yes what grit paper and what type of backing pad do you use?

Cheers,
Graham
sgo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2007, 09:09:33 PM »

I don't know about an angle-grinder, but an 8" foam pad with 80 grit on a buffing machine thingo works for me.

SRVLIVES

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2007, 09:13:39 PM »

I've used either a wire brush attachment on my electric drill, or 36 grit paper on a foam pad attached to an angle grinder.

fccool59

rain sucks     http://www.yout ube.com/watch?v =N1Uj

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2007, 10:13:18 PM »

I went through this when i started my car, how big is the area you want to strip, if its just like one door you can borrow my buff.
after using electric sanders and 2 tins of paint striper i wasnt doing to well, then craig wilson brought a striping disc over and i never looked back.
the discs goes on a buffing machine and cost $20-$25 and it takes 4 or 5 to strip a whole car with 50 years of paint on it. it is like a stiff scourer and is not too hard on the metal.
in the edges i used a twist knot cup brush on a angle grinder, they are good for getting paint of small areas but you cant keep it in one area too long or it heats the metal and you need to wear eye glasses or you will have thick wire in your eyes.
a buffing machine is a handy thing to have also if you want to keep a nice shine on your car.

rain sucks  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1Ujma1lBac    rain sucks     rain sucks
Russ

mmm dohnuts

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2007, 08:43:17 PM »

The latest SM has an article about "soda blasting" looks pretty groovy Grin

Ford boy with a FC weakness!!!
the_love_god

DARK & STORMY

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2007, 10:50:13 AM »

BIG NO, IF YOU WANT TO USE THE OLD WAY ,BUY A BUFF&SANDER FROM A HARDWEAR. BUY EITHER STICK ON OR VELCROW. P36 6INCH DISC, WHEN YOU USE IT FOR THE FIRST TIME USE IT ON A OLD PANEL SO YOU CAN GET THE HANG ON IT, MAKE SURE YOU WEAR EYE PROTECTION & AND GOOD MASK ,NOT THOSE CHEAP ONE STRAP PAPER MASK A DOUBLE FILTER ON THEY LAST A GOOD WHILE,WHEN YOU USE THE SANDER KEEP CONTROL OF THE MACHINE DONT KEEP IT IN ONE AREA,TRY TO SAND EVENLY AROUND THE AREA OF THE PANEL,SO YOU CAN AVOID HEATING THE PANEL ,SO YOU NOT STRECH THE METAL,FOR A DOOR YOU WOULD NEED TO USE A LEAST 4 P36,SEE HOW YOU GO,IF THE OLD PAINT IS 20YEAR OLDER IT WILL CUT EASY,IF NOT THE CUT NOT SO EASY ,THEN ONCES TOU USE P36TO NEAR BARE METAL,USE A ORBITOL SANDER WITH 80GRIT. TRY NOT OVER HEAT THE PANEL ,YOU WILL FIND YOUR SELF IN TROUBLE. OR ANOTHER WAY IS PAINT SRIPPING, WHAT YOU DO IS PUT A PANEL ON A STAND MAKE SURE AGAIN YOU WEAR EYE,GLOVES ,MASK ,BUT BUY THE FILTERS FOR ACIDS FUMES,OK APPLY THE SRIPPER ON THE PANEL IN A COOL AREA ,NOT SUN,ONCES YOU DONE THAT GET A BIG SHEET OF PLASIC AND PUT IT OVER IT ,BEST TO BUY THOSE DROP SHEETS,MAKE SURE IT RIGHT OVER THE WHILE DOOR,THIS WILL HELP TO KEEP THE HEAT OF THE SRIPPER TO THE PAINT LEAVE IT FOR ABOUT 45 MIN MAYBE MORE MAY BE LESS DEPENDS HOW THICK IS THE OLD PAINT,THEN YOU GRAP THE WHOLE OFF, THE YOU GET A BUCKET OF SOAPY WATER AND USE A MOROON SCAWER NOT STEEL WOOL, THEN WIPE OFF AND DRY IT THEN ANY LEFT OVER JUST SAND IT OFF,HOPE THIS WOULD HELP YOU CHEERS ALFIOM Wink
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: