FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 28, 2024, 02:10:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Unusual FB coupe on ebay  (Read 25010 times)
customFC
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« on: November 14, 2006, 11:40:50 AM »

This is off topic, but worth a look.
Check out this unusual FB coupe on ebay.
Guy claims the conversion was done in mid 60's, and was registered. Looks to be a bit of interest in this car.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110055026139
Regards
Alex

RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2006, 12:05:25 AM »

That front quarter shot gives you a feel for how much of a shortening up it's been given.  Look where the car's rear wheels are relative to the trailer's wheels!

I wonder how it would handle... Shocked

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
Russ

mmm dohnuts

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2006, 12:34:17 AM »

Looks kinda silly, the doors needed to be lengthened or something. although its probly the only way to fix the turning circle Cheesy

Ford boy with a FC weakness!!!
COL58FE

FE225

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2006, 05:46:55 AM »

wow different,
                     would like to see it rebuilt though.
only thing is getting out of the thing at the local shopping centre with a car on each side ?
ah that's it, paint it orange with (01) on the door and a rebel flag on the roof and climb out the through the window frame. Grin
HARKO
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2006, 02:22:10 AM »

Check out the price this little beautie went for .
Cut out half the car and double the velue , The previous rego is worth its weight in gold because do gooders ruined us ever building and registering anything like this again .
Its a true one off .
RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2006, 11:49:58 PM »

The previous rego is worth its weight in gold because do gooders ruined us ever building and registering anything like this again .
Its a true one off .

Previous rego isn't worth anything.

It will need an engineer's report for full registration.  This is the case for a car out of rego more than 3 months, let alone 30 years.  If an engineer signs off that it's safe and roadworthy, it will get registered.  The fact it might have had rego 30 years ago doesn't mean squat.

Have a flick through Street Machine.  Plenty of outrageously modified cars get full rego.  As long as they're safe and roadworthy.

I'd be very surprised if that FB would pass an inspection though.  The weight over the front wheels and that short wheel-base would give this thing horrifying over-steer.  I reckon there's a reason it's sat in a shed all that time: it's taken that long for the smell of the brown stains on the driver's seat to dissipate. Lips sealed

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
HARKO
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2006, 05:15:07 AM »

I totally disagree but I couldnt be (^$*@% arguing or teaching you why .
Your level of reply is arrogant and rude , Alot like the attitude I get from police  Angry.
This forum is no longer my place ! Im out..
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2006, 06:07:47 AM »

Harko has left the forum  Shocked.

RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2006, 06:16:13 AM »

I'm sorry you feel that way, but I'm at a loss to understand what you think was arrogant or rude.

You know where we are if you change your mind.  Your 2c worth is as welcome as anyone else's.

RET

FC0058
qld-club
Guru

Jim Altmann
View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2006, 09:04:23 AM »

That is way to cool to be allowed on the roads these days.
Most definantely a lot of work went into put that car on the road, would be good to see it back on the road again, but with the laws these days I doubt it, if it is to go back on the road it will need BIG dollars thrown its way.

Might be one for the POOL ROOM collection

Cheers Jim

Forgiveness is easier than permission.
Maco
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2006, 09:06:19 AM »

See you later Harko, may be one day you will understand.

Cheers
John

Better in Green
Burnsy

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2006, 10:58:36 AM »

See you later Harko, may be one day you will understand.

Cheers
John

What is that meant to mean?  Seems pretty rude when it is pointed at someone who has as much knowledge and history on this forum as Harko.  

Maybe I missed something in the build up to this, as I have not been around much lately.  I'm not sure I saw RET's comment as a put down directed personally at Harko or anyone else for that matter.  As with most posts on the forum, I read it as one persons opinion.  Harko leaving the forum Cry  that is a loss that we all should be mourning, he is a true Guru when it comes to kustom knowledge and one whos wealth of knowledge will be sorely missed.

Mike
TAYZ
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2006, 11:19:00 AM »

Harko?,
             Did you have a bad day mate?  Stop slagging the cops!!!!!!  just doing there job!!!!! ( I spent the whole weekend being jibbed by greenies and tree huggers who still get there fortnightly payments from the goverment at the G20 forum in melbourne) Dont leave here your knowledge is way too good, and yr cars are better.  Go anmd have a few cans of bourban and get a few pics of the pontiac on, cheers

tayz
FC0058
qld-club
Guru

Jim Altmann
View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2006, 11:04:58 PM »

This thread is really going of topic but what the heck.

I agree with Burnsy and TAYZ, however am also at a loss to why there has what seems to be a big dummy spit.
HARKO,
I thought you had a thick skin and gave as good as you got.
Many people on this forum look forward to your project updates and seek you out for advice.
John
Not sure were your post was coming from or the reason why, but I thought its content was not warranted or justified. We have enough dick heads on the forum without you adding to it.

Regards Jim

Forgiveness is easier than permission.
COL58FE

FE225

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2006, 02:24:48 AM »

harko,
         sorry to here your out mate,stay cool :-/.
have a beer or 3 and by all mean's come back soon,
as they say water under the bridge.

as for the car rego it may mean didely, but if it (was) engineered with these mod's when first modified. which i doupt as there does not appear to be a report number on the bottom of the reg'o papper's anyway.the engineer's cert last as long as the car will,even when reg'o has expired for 3mth's or 3yr's as long as no more mod's have been made it's still valid. i know this becauce when my v8 cortina caught on fire,reg'o was expired for 16mth's during repair's. and all i did was get blue/green slip's then repaid up the reg'o fee.engineer cert is valid to car always once it is engineered that is upon no more mod's.
the same was for the red/white daddy cool small block chev fc i bought out of reg'o,but key word (engineered).
cheer's col.
FC_Driver
nsw-club

We Love our FC...

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2006, 02:40:01 AM »

Harko,
I for one like original or slightly modified old cars.
Whilst I have little to contribute to your posts I do enjoy reading them. I for one hope that you will return as part of the family and not just a guest.
Come on Harko back you come  Smiley
Bruce
P.S,  Kiwi and company are still lurking around.... Grin
Didn't answer their post but I enjoyed their entertaining antics.
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2006, 11:43:27 AM »

Frankly as someone training to be a certifying engineer, I find it testing at times to read opinions based on no fact at all, especially that "do gooders" are ruining it for everyone.
Sorry - the reason engineering standards have been introduced is because of the stupidity of some early car modifiers who left to their own devises, built some of the most unsafe and dangerous vehicles ever seen.
I have seen some horrendous stuff in my time ranging from a chain used as a rear gearbox mount to stub axles with steering arms welded onto them (with cracks already appearing)
The point is every rule has a reason and just because you think it is not important doesn't mean you know everything about anything.
Harko you are more than welcome on this forum, but dont promote bad advice, all RET was pointing out was plain fact, just because you disagree is no reason to try to usurp what the forum promotes - which is safe and legal modification of vehicles.

Ken
minifcvan
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2006, 10:45:48 AM »

I think you guy's are wasting your time harko's gone.... Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry .. I for one will miss harko.He has given me heaps of good advice for my van since ive been on this site and we have become very good friends....
« Last Edit: November 23, 2006, 11:04:54 AM by minifcvan » Logged
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2006, 10:05:44 PM »

Hello Gents,

I haven't been on the forum for a few days and then came back to read this?

personally I reckon the FB coupe was funny. there was a shortned 57 chev like it in the 80's from memory... in the US of A of course.

I also reckon it would be far too dangerous to rego in todays climate of safety and litigation.  engineers as do gooders?

Having experienced the whole gambit of the rego and engineering process recently I can only say the engineers are very fair and "SAFE and ROADWORTHY" conversions are accepted easily.

the most beautiful thing IMO of any modified car are the engineering details, those that do not compromise safety, impact the strutural integrity, allow access and serivceability and are of good quality workmanship.

severly shortened wheelbases I dont think are looked on as safe conversions as mentioned in the thread, even if it had a  previous engineers report. would that engineer still pass it today?  I wonder.

Similarly I saw a big block EH with single circuit brakes and copper lines, passed years ago but would never today.

I also know a high profile street machiner who has a 351 in a meyers manx buggy and is an engineeer himself, who told me "..after this was signed off, the engineer said he would never pass one again..".[ it is just way too wild].

Harko, If you really wanna leave over something like this, then that's your choice, everyone is entitled to their opinion, even if you agree or disagree.. it is a forum for "discussion".

anyway as car modifiers we work out clever solutions to the rules imposed don't we
Grin

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
FB_MAD

I can't think what to write here so this will do.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2006, 11:58:54 PM »

Another off topic comment,

I'm not getting into the Harko thing but I'm sorry he's left the forum Cry.

I agree with Ed and Kens comments on modified cars.
Engineers are there for a reason and that is to ensure that what modifications you propose are safe and legal.This helps you and other road users to stay alive!

Sure, some can be A holes and hard to deal with but they are legaly accountable for signing the roadworthiness certificate.Should they pass something that is unsafe and something tragic happens then I'm sure the legal system will catch up with them let alone the fact that they have to deal with knowing that they may be part responsible for a tragedy.

Same with Police, some are Aholes but most are good blokes just doing their job.Its the bad ones we always read about and society brands them all as being the same.....not so!

I worked in a wrecking yard in the early "80's and saw lots of Police defected modified cars come in.Most had horrendous modifications done by the owners (not engineer certified) and were just accidents waiting to happen.Indeed quite a few cars were from fatal accidents and  had been unsafely modified.

One of the worst was a Datsun 180 B with a 202 red and 4 speed.Underbody full of rust and its a wonder the car didn't just collapse in half!No trans tunnel and most of firewall cut out to fit.Nearly half of the engine was in the cabin.Bird shit welds held the engine mounts.This was registered and was being used for a Drag race down our local main street.This car was involved in a fatal accident.Stupidity can't be controlled but unsafe vehicles can.

This is why engineering certificates were invented.

Thats my 2 cents worth,

Terry.

Has anybody seen my red pen??
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: